Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
SUUNS are also touring in September. They’re a very underrated band imho.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Did you see Kamasi Washington plays Chalk in Oct.

Also, Maruja play Brighton in October too.

(Snapped Ankles were great at that Beak show)
Indeed yes, I've got my fingers on the pulse (well, the Mrs has actually). Really surprised that Kamasi (who I've never seen before) is playing at Chalk. I didn't know about Maruja who I have seen and, as a result, will be going.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Indeed yes, I've got my fingers on the pulse (well, the Mrs has actually). Really surprised that Kamasi (who I've never seen before) is playing at Chalk. I didn't know about Maruja who I have seen and, as a result, will be going.
Yeah it’s quite rare to have this kind of higher profile jazz artist in Brighton. And would have thought he’d be booked for a larger venue than Chalk.
Saw him both times at Love Supreme. Should be a good one. I like his new album.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Got an email from Phillip A, (Pantera) yesterday me the wife and daughter are on the guest list at Download.
Not really my bag, and too close to the Psychobilly festival in Spain anyway.

So far this year only seen the meteors.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got an email from Phillip A, (Pantera) yesterday me the wife and daughter are on the guest list at Download.
Not really my bag, and too close to the Psychobilly festival in Spain anyway.

So far this year only seen the meteors.
Huge metal shows are always quite a spectacle and good fun though. The fans are usually an open and friendly bunch as well (like Phychobillies in this respect) It will be a good Im sure.

Top work on the guest list….I remember you’ve stayed at his house before.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Huge metal shows are always quite a spectacle and good fun though. The fans are usually an open and friendly bunch as well (like Phychobillies in this respect) It will be a good Im sure.
Oh, that I am sure of, and the times we have seen them play in London, they have been great, and going back stage, and on the tour bus, even the BBC when they recorded some stuff have all been super fun.
Top work on the guest list….I remember you’ve stayed at his house before.
We have had to say no, bad timing, we have family plans that cannot be changed as they are flying in.

Pip and his wife fly to Manchester and are staying in Blackpool for a night (he likes the pleasure beach!!)
Kate said that they are over again in the winter, and we will hook up then.

Funnily enough I just checked there tour dates and Pantera are playing at some Metal Festival in Barcelona the same time I am there for a Psychobilly festival.

hmmm
I wonder now actually if I could hook up somewhere during the day

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yeah it’s quite rare to have this kind of higher profile jazz artist in Brighton. And would have thought he’d be booked for a larger venue than Chalk.
Saw him both times at Love Supreme. Should be a good one. I like his new album.
It transpires that I don't know Maruja -- I got them mixed up with Nerija -- but haven't been to Hope & Ruin for ages, so will give it a go.
You might also be interested to hear that The Jesus Lizard are at C2 on 12 Jan, with a new album too. I never saw them first time round but think I've seen David Yow do a solo set.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Done a fair bit of gigging recently, as I need something to fill the void in my life, other copious amounts of Sussex County football. Shame Palestine gig, was them on usual form, seen them 9 times now I think always very good. The support of Camera Picture was quite interesting, the solo project of the guitarist out of Black Midi, some interesting genres and tunes there. PVA providing a very good show, like the mix of genres in there stuff, a long time since I last saw them, seem to have got better, and they were pretty good before. Cola were also a good support, enjoyed their album a few years back.

Then followed that up with a trip to Wide Awake or as I like to call it 'Sound Issues: An Immersive Experience'. Saw Bodega first, who were on usual form, but the sound was all over the place including the lead singers mic being very quiet or off (?) for the first song. Dry Cleaning were also decent, but once again sound was an issue. However as the day went on the sound got better, Fat Dog were very good live, even if I am a bit sceptical about the music, I'll see them again at Glastonbury. Squid that sound was spot on and its my first time seeing them since their second album, and it all sounded very good. Very energetic live as well. Young Fathers were after them which was as usual very very good, if a little quiet (due to those bloody sound issues!). Finally was Slowdive who I worried would be poor with the sound, but maybe I was just really drunk but the sound was emphatic and the usual kind of shoegaze volume, probably my favourite of the day. There was also a David Byrne tribute afterwards with a ensemble of various South London Bands, as well as bands who had played already, which was good laugh, Bodega's cover of life in wartime was particularly good.

Followed that up with seeing Bodega at Concorde 2 who did a incredibly long set (25 ish songs), and were just taking requests by the end of any song you could shout loud enough at them. Finally saw Duster at Camden Electric which is a venue I haven't been to for 10 years when I saw Drenge there when I was 17, great venue really enjoyed it. It did make me laugh with Duster though who I thought would be an old fogie gig, but one of their songs seems to have blown up on Tik Tok, so all of a sudden have a really young audience, which I found bizarre for a relatively obscure 90s Shoegaze band. Haven't really got anything on until Glastonbury now where I've got pretty full days planned.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
It transpires that I don't know Maruja -- I got them mixed up with Nerija -- but haven't been to Hope & Ruin for ages, so will give it a go.
You might also be interested to hear that The Jesus Lizard are at C2 on 12 Jan, with a new album too. I never saw them first time round but think I've seen David Yow do a solo set.
I’d read they were releasing an album but not seen they were playing Brighton. Thanks for the heads up.

I saw them in 1996 at the Tivoli in Buckley, N Wales….for some reason.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Only just getting into ST - and mainly because of the the drummer.

Did you know someone recorded the gig in 4k....

Yeah I did, was an absurdly good concert.

This is a must watch for any drummers, absurdly good technical playing whilst not overdoing it. He plays just the right amount for the song.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Richard Hawley was excellent at the Dome tonight. A lot of new songs but they're good anyway

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Goat Girl this Wednesday at Chalk. Looking forward to it. The new album is excellent.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not very good at keeping track of my gigs. YTD from memory

C Turtles - Green Door Store
Mary in the Junkyard - Prince Albert
The Drin - New Cross Inn (Stand out gig of the year for me)
Glen Hansard - St George's Church (not really my thing)
The Men They Couldn't Hang - Patterns
The Lovely Eggs - Chalk

Booked for Goldie Lookin Chain and Public Service Broadcast. Might get handed a ticket for Idles, undecided on King Creosote and Hamish Hawk.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not very good at keeping track of my gigs. YTD from memory

C Turtles - Green Door Store
Mary in the Junkyard - Prince Albert
The Drin - New Cross Inn (Stand out gig of the year for me)
Glen Hansard - St George's Church (not really my thing)
The Men They Couldn't Hang - Patterns
The Lovely Eggs - Chalk

Booked for Goldie Lookin Chain and Public Service Broadcast. Might get handed a ticket for Idles, undecided on King Creosote and Hamish Hawk.
I quite liked C Turtles - bit of a 90s slacker vibe thing going on, as I recall...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here