Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The Dandy Warhols are playing Concorde II on 07/07 and England aren't playing that night in Brazil

I mention this as the last time they played there, in 2000, was the night England lost to Portugal at Euro 2000, and with everyone glued to a small TV in the bar watching the footy, JJ72, the support act didn't come on until about eleven, and Los Warhols at gone midnight to an unsurprisingly flat crowd :ohmy:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Get on this Brighton, the awesome Hermitude from The Blue Mountains, purveyoroys of the finest instrumental hip hop, are coming and playing 3 shows be there or miss out....
May 08 - The Tube, Brighton, The Great Escape (showcase)
May 10 - Concorde II, Brighton, The Great Escape (showcase)
May 10 - Digital, Brighton, The Great Escape w/ Future Islands (showcase)
https://soundcloud.com/hermitude/ukiyo

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Get on this Brighton, the awesome Hermitude from The Blue Mountains, purveyoroys of the finest instrumental hip hop, are coming and playing 3 shows be there or miss out....
May 08 - The Tube, Brighton, The Great Escape (showcase)
May 10 - Concorde II, Brighton, The Great Escape (showcase)
May 10 - Digital, Brighton, The Great Escape w/ Future Islands (showcase)
https://soundcloud.com/hermitude/ukiyo

Thanks - will check this out. On a general note, I don't know if it is because it is one of my musical blind spots or the acts are genuinely good but I've found 3 or 4 really progressive, psych hip hop acts in amongst the TGE bill. It appears there's some really interesting things going on in underground/indie hip hop. I'm going to have to pay a bit more attention.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks - will check this out. On a general note, I don't know if it is because it is one of my musical blind spots or the acts are genuinely good but I've found 3 or 4 really progressive, psych hip hop acts in amongst the TGE bill. It appears there's some really interesting things going on in underground/indie hip hop. I'm going to have to pay a bit more attention.

Enjoy, 4 albums in they are masters of their craft.....

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Off to see Dennis Greaves & Mark Feltham from Nine Below Zero doing an acoustic show tonight.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Ex were the best "proper" band I've seen this year, last night. Incredibly good, this lady can drum.

35 years into their career and they are releasing their strongest material and doing their best live shows. Last night they played exclusively from their last 2 records and every song sounded like a classic.

They aren't very far from Swans as "best live band in the world" IMHO. If anything they have a few more tricks up their sleeves but Swans visceral, cathartic power wins out for me.

They completely overshadowed the rather good return of my favourite Brighton post-punkers Cold Pumas after an 18 month absence.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The Ex were the best "proper" band I've seen this year, last night. Incredibly good, this lady can drum.

35 years into their career and they are releasing their strongest material and doing their best live shows. Last night they played exclusively from their last 2 records and every song sounded like a classic.

They aren't very far from Swans as "best live band in the world" IMHO. If anything they have a few more tricks up their sleeves but Swans visceral, cathartic power wins out for me.

They completely overshadowed the rather good return of my favourite Brighton post-punkers Cold Pumas after an 18 month absence.

........ bugger

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Thought it would be a good night- just a shame I could not go.
As well as playing well they seem like a decent bunch.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I heard at least one chorus of Sussex by the Sea tonight.

image.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So - the Libertines have reformed for a cash in gig at Hyde Park in July.

The Libertines w/ The Pogues, Maximo Park, Spiritualized, Reverend and the Makers, The Enemy, The Rifles, The View, The Twang.

I'd actually quite like to see the Libs but the bit of the bill below Spiritualized (what the f*** are they doing behind Maximo Park btw) is the stuff of nightmares.

Has anyone else heard the rumours regarding an imminent Oasis reunion as well?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

The Libertines w/ The Pogues, Maximo Park, Spiritualized, Reverend and the Makers, The Enemy, The Rifles, The View, The Twang.

I'd actually quite like to see the Libs but the bit of the bill below Spiritualized (what the f*** are they doing behind Maximo Park btw) is the stuff of nightmares.

Apart from Spiritualised I wouldn't pay to see any of them - and I've seen Spiritualised way too many times now, from being amongst the 30 or so people sitting down at the Zap in 91 (apart from one hippy going at it at the front), to headlining at Glastonbury where two fireworks hit each other 100ft in the air at the climax, to watching the acoustic Jason set at Komedia, to Wolverhampton, to Bristol, to twice at the Barbican for the anniversary of Ladies & Gentlemen . . . . . so to see them below the ****in Libertines is a little sad.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Apart from Spiritualised I wouldn't pay to see any of them - and I've seen Spiritualised way too many times now, from being amongst the 30 or so people sitting down at the Zap in 91 (apart from one hippy going at it at the front), to headlining at Glastonbury where two fireworks hit each other 100ft in the air at the climax, to watching the acoustic Jason set at Komedia, to Wolverhampton, to Bristol, to twice at the Barbican for the anniversary of Ladies & Gentlemen . . . . . so to see them below the ****in Libertines is a little sad.

I love Spiritualized - saw them on their last tour and they are still great. If I'm being charitable, perhaps it might be something to do with the volume they like to play at - there's been issues with noise complaints from the Hyde Park gigs recently.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

If it's the one with the string quartet and the three backing singers, that ranks as one of the best gigs I've seen in Brighton. I've seen a few electric sets by Spiritualized subsequently, and they just don't come near them.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

It's very 2008, but those are all reliable live bands. Maximo Park are better than Spiritualized live, and they sound rejuvenated on their new album. I'd say it's a bill targeting the largest pool of people they can get tickets sales from - double denim 25-35s who listen to music as a soundtrack.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Twang are still going?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sky News reporting that Oasis doing Glastonbury is a £500 million gig, some mistake surely.

They might be playing Glastonbury but it certainly isn't for that much. It's well known that Glastonbury don't pay big money to anyone and simple maths will also show that total revenue doesn't come even close to 50m let alone 500m

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here