Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The level of literacy on NSC...

sherriffbart

Sep 24, 2003
Following on my dear chaps, one of the most common mistakes people make in grammer is the "their/there" scenario.

I am going to their house, which is over there.

Personally speaking, I do think that language is evolving, but mostly using slang and Americanisms.

Laters is a perfect example. What exactly is the word laters?

I am of the opinion, that modern language is influenced by lazyness, in that it is much easier to read a "comic" ( FHM/VIZ et cetera) than to read Shakespeare of Milton.

I am also of the opinion that when directors and producers modernise Shakespeare, they lose the essence and spirit of the work. I would even go so far as to say West Side Story, whist a very good musical, is not in the same universe as Romeo and Juliet.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm a huge fan of Americanisms and American spelling. Try spelling 'color' with a u in most computer languages/formats and see what happens. When in doubt always use the American spelling/phrase/structure - if it isn't right now it soon will be.

And before you start moaning remember that expressions such as 'lengthy' and 'influential' were originally considered to be dreadful Americanisms when they were first used.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The main reason for the difference in spelling American English was their levels of illiteracy, and their protest against the English (especially King George - a non-English speaking Germanic monarch!) at the time of independence.

There were actually moves to do away with English altogether in the new USA early in the 19th century, adopting a bastardised Dutch English instead (it was in reality closer the way someone German today might speak English if learning it for the first time). It never caught the imagination in Congress, and they stuck with English, although it is still spoken in parts of Phildelphia, believe or not. Personally, I can't see the point in calling it English when it is not in a particularly pure form, especially with the current vogue for conjoining words, and, as mentioned earlier, 'marketspeak'.

There is no romance involved in these new words; words which form part of a very beautiful, colourful and articulate language.

Sorry, Brovian, but the American spellings would only be the norm because the American software giants would not be bothered to make proper English (or British English as the Yanks prefer) computer programmes. It would be cheaper, and therefore, more desirable, irresepective of the accuracy of the syntax involved.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I trust that those who dislike American spelling will revert to spelling Terrour and Horrour in the old British manner.

They can also pronounce Merchant as Mar-chant, and service as Sar-vis while they're at it, as they're the British prounciations (and are still retained for Derby and Clerk).

Last edited:

sherriffbart

Sep 24, 2003
its not a case of liking or disliking Americanisms. They are here to stay, in the same way as driving on the right.

What has pronunciation got to do with the price of corned beef anyway? Pronunciation is formed in most part by dialect and accent. A Northern person pronounces "bath" as "baff", a Southern person pronounces it "baarff".

When conversing with Americans, one will always come across the arguement that the Americans speak a more pure form of English that the English who tend to rely on slang.

Having studied modern and ancient languages at University, most modern languages are developed and in some part based on Latin. Latin did not rely on accent as it is a pure form of language with no derivitives

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
Sorry, Brovian, but the American spellings would only be the norm because the American software giants would not be bothered to make proper English (or British English as the Yanks prefer) computer programmes. It would be cheaper, and therefore, more desirable, irresepective of the accuracy of the syntax involved.
Program, not programme! It's one of my favorite words! It's their technology so I speak their language, you however can stick to you 'olde worlde' spellings if you like.

You are correct about the disapproval of English in the young United States. They also had a vote in Congress as to what should be the official language of the USA. English beat German by one vote! However correct English pronunciation survives in the USA especially the New England area. This is most true of the long 'R' sound: the 17th century English dandys thought it was very refined to drop letters from words (as opposed to today when it's considered common) so they would say words like fear and beer with the 'r' clipped and hardly pronounced. The more traditional Americans continued with their fearrrr and beerrrrr pronunciations.

Incidentally did you know that the verb 'to skedaddle' is an old English word? As is the expression 'Fall' for Autum, and 'to bite the dust' meaning to be killed in battle.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
NMH: I think Herney's point is that your keyboard has taken to mis-spelling the words on your behalf. May I suggest that you tell your keyboard that there is only one 't' in alacrity, and only 2 'o's in laborious, not 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here