Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The level of literacy on NSC...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Shop signs are, more often than not, deliberately grammatically incorrect.

This draws attention to them and produces the desired effect on the public.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
Shop signs are, more often than not, deliberately grammatically incorrect.

This draws attention to them and produces the desired effect on the public.

:ohmy:

Weird.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
This is a great thread.:thumbsup:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
What's starting to annoy me is the use of ' @ ' instead of the letter ' a ', or other such net 'isms which have crept in.

For instance :- ' dot.com or .com '. What, sorry but what word in the English language allows punctuation half way ( or should that be halfway or half-way ) through ( or should that be thru ) it's spelling ?

Hmmmmm ? ( Rhetorically speaking ).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
34064 Fighter Command said:
What's starting to annoy me is the use of ' @ ' instead of the letter ' a ', or other such net 'isms which have crept in.

For instance :- ' dot.com or .com '. What, sorry but what word in the English language allows punctuation half way ( or should that be halfway or half-way ) through ( or should that be thru ) it's spelling ?

Hmmmmm ? ( Rhetorically speaking ).

Quite right full stop It apostrophe s a load of old bollocks comma really exclamation mark [vernacular: dog's cock]

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
I can't believe that I haven't posted on this thread already. It's a subject close to my heart.

I've tried to give up playing the grammar, etc., police rôle though. Such a losing battle just gives you ulcers.

I guess that I've just been working properly today.

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Theatre of Trees said:
You've hit the nail on the head with that one Lush.

Absolutely. At the end of the day, it's just wrong.

Juan Albion said:
Your grandad is/was married to Bill Clinton?

I wondered why my gramps cigars had a peculiar after taste.

Eloquence of expression being a worthy forte , I wish to introduce the following expression into this forum (delivered with alactrity);
"what a load of old bollocks" .

Thankyou for the opportunity :)

p.s. I also feel that an inordinate use of commas was displayed in the original post. Please desist from this practise, and acknowledge that use of English transmogrifies with the times .

Personally I'd rather lethargically lapse into a languid lout than live a loborious life laden as a linguistic luddite .

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
My gripe is with Aussies and dumb-ass London marketing types (mainly girls) that end sentences with a raised tone and a question.Not sure what this is called but it says alot about a person (normally that they're dislikeable)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Bollox.
I'm dyslexic....................but I'm not using that as an excuse I just dont give a shit about grammer nazi's etc. As long as its understood its ok by me.

Now Fark orf!!!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Things dat piss me of.

Double negatives
Americanisms like persons instead of people
Managment speak
Politically correct Jibber Jabber

Stop it you naughty bastards:angry: :angry:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BUTTERBALL said:
Large Al?

Yes, Butterball? What are you doing harking the merest soupçon of my personal appellation for me at 7.51am?

NMH: There were not too many commas in the original message. And if you read the other threads, you will see that I have acknowledged the evolution of the English language. So there.

I might also expand on a wider point, namely my dislike of the 'Americanisation' of English. True, many words are now become so common that to resist usage is futile, but please people, when turning a noun into an verb, spell the suffix 'ise', not 'ize'.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here