Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The LEGEND Has Retired From The Game

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
If the weather wasnt bad enough, sad news filtered through in todays papers that the legend of the game is hanging up his boots at just 28 years of age.

With an ever growing army of fans at the club, and especially this board, he caused hours of entertainment throughout the last few seasons he was with the club.

He has taken up a coaching role in the bid for promotion. He gave us memories that we will never forget, and because of pure geniusthe HOPPO Sweepstake was born. With a first class avergae of a massive 26.30 including one century and a career best 3/19.....

Carl Daniel Hopkinson, take a bow :bowdown:

_42018020_hopkinson_pa416.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think that's a bit of a shame, he hit a bit of form at points in the last couple of years batting down the order. Will make a brilliant fielding coach though I reckon.

Is that Yardy running him out in the picture?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Shame for him that his ton against the convicts doesn't count as a first class century.
Apparently he will still be available to play for the first XI in an emergency.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Eh? I'm confused, why's he retired?
We've not got an abundance of batsmen

Lost in Crawley

Jul 15, 2009
I don't think Carl Hopkinson has retired. The coaching role is in addition to being on the playing staff. At least thats how I read the news on the club website.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I don't think Carl Hopkinson has retired. The coaching role is in addition to being on the playing staff. At least thats how I read the news on the club website.

I was going by this in the Argus

Hopkinson joins Sussex coaching staff
5:34pm Monday 5th October 2009

By Bruce Talbot »

SUSSEX batsman Carl Hopkinson is retiring to take up a coaching job with the county.

And left-arm spinner Tom Smith is also leaving Sussex to join Middlesex on a three-year deal.

Hopkinson will effectively become Sussex’s fielding coach after calling time on a career which began in 2002.

He played 64 first-class matches, averaging 27.60, and scored three hundreds - two of them this season against Somerset and Warwickshire. He also made 115 in a non first-class match against a full-strength Australia attack at Hove in June.

Hopkinson was a regular in the 2007 Championship-winning team and also played in the Lord’s final triumph over Lancashire a year earlier.

But having been a regular in the one-day side he found himself sidelined by the emergence of Joe Gatting and Rory Hamilton-Brown this season and only played one limited overs game.

Hopkinson has long been regarded as one of Sussex’s best fielders and began coaching with England’s age group sides last winter.

He was out of contract and has already started his coaching role, having travelled to India on Sunday to work with the squad in the Champions League Twenty20.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think he's on the coaching staff but still registered to play?

I think we're okay for batting to be honest as i fully expect Gatting and RHB to become fixtures in the first XI next year. Also with Prior on a central contract we may be able to bring another bat in, though the focus should be on an England qualified seamer.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Still think we're a little light
Nash
Yardy
Joyce
Goodwin
RHB
Gatting

Prior and Wright might be away for the whole season (and Wright might be off)
Not sure if we'll have Smith
Thornely?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think he's on the coaching staff but still registered to play?

I think we're okay for batting to be honest as i fully expect Gatting and RHB to become fixtures in the first XI next year.

Agreed. We might not be ok though if Slurrey steal half our team.
We also have Luke Wells (son of Alan) coming through the ranks.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If Surrey steal half our team I fully expect us to do the same to somebody else, I'm not sure who would leave anyway. I can't see Nash leaving and if Wright does we're only missing out on a championship bat.

For the money we would get from Surrey I can see us being in a position to acquire some decent playesr from elsewhere, though I wouldn't like this to be the route we go down.

I think it all depends on what happens in tis 20/20 competition as the money from that will help.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Still think Will Jefferson might be a good signing

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
One of the reasons we were able to sign a player of the calibre of Yootha was that we could offer him Div1 CC cricket - we don't have that now though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here