Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After the celebrations over the weekend it’s time to pick up my tools and get out in the field again.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
[
[/QUOTE]
Spending can always be afforded.
Agree with the second statement, but the magic money tree is always available when it suits a government's political agenda.

That’s a fair point. My assumption, hopefully not flawed, is that Labour are not going to go down that road. If they do, then the chances of them leading a genuine economic recovery are over before they began

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
You'll learn.
I have over the years. It's the hope that kills you. You are placing your trust in a group of people who have never had to deal with matters of state. It's an ugly, moveable feast, putting ordinary people under intense pressure. Good intentions get forced out of the window and replaced by compromise.
Most of them have no experience of juggling billions of pounds. Instead of behaving like the business community who are continually forced into saving money, they know they have the power of direct and indirect taxation to raise revenue.
If you trust any politicians you will end up disappointed. They can never deliver what they promise and their hands are tied by controlling interest. It always ends in disappointment, scandal and human failing.
I’m 64 and this is only the second time in my life I’ve backed the winning team let me enjoy it for a little while

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I will report back later. I need to book am appointment at the Dr which should not be a problem now that Labour are in.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You'll learn.
I have over the years. It's the hope that kills you. You are placing your trust in a group of people who have never had to deal with matters of state. It's an ugly, moveable feast, putting ordinary people under intense pressure. Good intentions get forced out of the window and replaced by compromise.
Most of them have no experience of juggling billions of pounds. Instead of behaving like the business community who are continually forced into saving money, they know they have the power of direct and indirect taxation to raise revenue.
If you trust any politicians you will end up disappointed. They can never deliver what they promise and their hands are tied by controlling interest. It always ends in disappointment, scandal and human failing.

I see that you have found a more subtle, if somewhat longer winded, way of saying 'they are all the same' :laugh:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I will report back later. I need to book am appointment at the Dr which should not be a problem now that Labour are in.
meaningful change will take a while i'm afraid, given the level of incompetence and corruption of the ruling elite over the last 14 years. if you require to use the nhs, you must be happy that the venal parasites are gone......, for now at least

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My takeaway pizza was ready very quickly on Saturday despite the football. Also my local shop had rose cider in stock plus Whitstable organic.

Y'know what, I don't know whether to thank that lovely Ms Reeves, Lisa nandy or sir keir himself (maybe Jonathan reynolds) for getting the retail and service sectors up on their feet so quickly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Day 4 and I still can't get a doctor's appointment. Maybe I should give the surgery a call and see if that helps.

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Yes. With Rwanda plan gone, not sure what the plan is to sort the migration problem.
setting up a processing centre in France would make the most sense- something that was offered to our government but not taken up on (I believe?)

with France's election result I'd hope that this is now a distinct possibility

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Yes. With Rwanda plan gone, not sure what the plan is to sort the migration problem.
Rwanda was never going to sort the migration problem.

And with less than 3 working people for every pensioner in the UK (down from 5 in 1989) we need more working people in the UK to fund the care and health systems needed

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

That’s a fair point. My assumption, hopefully not flawed, is that Labour are not going to go down that road. If they do, then the chances of them leading a genuine economic recovery are over before they began
[/QUOTE]

At some point the government have to make decisions on where they will invest to achieve the growth they know they need to start reviving the economy.

The idea that the economy gets better by cutting public services more, has proved to be a fallacy.

My main concern with this government, is they haven't laid out any plans to achieve the Growth they will need.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
A range of measures being announced this morning by the Chancellor, Rachel Reeves to re-kick start growth in the construction and energy sectors and encourage investment including :
  • Removal of the moratorium on building onshore wind farms
  • Restoring mandatory house building targets on local authorities - with a relaxation on the Conservatives pledge to protect green belt sites, the Government gives a green light to ‘poor quality’ greenbelt ie scrubland (’greybelt’). However, brownfield sites will be prioritised in the planning process .
  • No increases to National Insurance or VAT
Removal men at Downing Street

1720434507672.jpeg

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A range of measures being announced this morning by the Chancellor, Rachel Reeves to re-kick start growth in the construction and energy sectors and encourage investment including :
  • Removal of the moratorium on building onshore wind farms
  • Restoring mandatory house building targets on local authorities - with a relaxation on the Conservatives pledge to protect green belt sites, the Government gives a green light to ‘poor quality’ greenbelt ie scrubland (’greybelt’). However, brownfield sites will be prioritised in the planning process .
  • No increases to National Insurance or VAT
Removal men at Dowling Street

View attachment 185356

Interesting - So Income tax not ruled out???
Surprising.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
At some point the government have to make decisions on where they will invest to achieve the growth they know they need to start reviving the economy.

The idea that the economy gets better by cutting public services more, has proved to be a fallacy.

My main concern with this government, is they haven't laid out any plans to achieve the Growth they will need.

they have, it's just bit more subtle then we're used to from Labour. the idea is to allow private sector to build and create infrastructre by overhauling, or at least suspending, planning restrictions. want to build some wind farms, or a new estate on edge of town, go for it. then some investment to give government weight on controversial projects, like small nuclear reactors and carbon capture. there's easily a decade of infrastructure rebuilding and renewal that will create growth if not held back by years of objections. it's simple plan and doesn't cost government much financially.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

[/QUOTE]

I hope the housing they build will be social Housing that belong to the council and not just giving planning permission for more over priced and poor quality homes like they have built in our area all over the place.

They can then use them to help people on low incomes have somewhere to live with controlled rental fees and security. They should also have the "right to buy" removed from them so they stay social housing.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Given that the Covid enquiry
regarding the UK's pandemic response and, by extension, future pandemic policy remains ongoing, it seems entirely inappropriate to bring Vallance into a cabinet position until said enquiry reaches its conclusions.
Oh I dont' know, I think having Holly Valance in the cabinet would make a lot of us happier.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I like what I see so far, they've been working on a lot in the past few months. This is a government that has been preparing for office...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here