Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tata Steel in Port Talbot appears to be one of the first things they are going to try and get a better solution on. Was spoken about on Kuenesberg this morning too.

the steel works are a really sticky wicket. there's an easy solution for the jobs: ask Tata to keep the blast furnaces running indefinately. problem is this conflicts with green agenda, the greener arc furnaces require a lot less labour. there's maybe a more difficult but better solution, use the site as an experimental hydrogen fueled furnance. difficult as larger subsidies needed, and dont think this is on the list for green investments.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Tata Steel in Port Talbot appears to be one of the first things they are going to try and get a better solution on. Was spoken about on Kuenesberg this morning too.

I watched that. Thought the Unite boss was worrying, immediately calling for borrowing and to break the fiscal rules.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I see Tony Blair has started banging the drum for ID cards again. Hopefully he'll get ignored on expense grounds alone. He seems to think it'll help with immigration somehow.
I think a digital ID would be an excellent idea. Most European countries have them and it's a pity we don't. Here's the Estonian one: https://www.id.ee/en/

Unfortunately the idea has been corrupted/conflated by some people into the idea of intrusive government, when really it's a sensible extension of modern digital technology. It would help with immigration as it would help prevent much of the "shadow" economy, which is a major driver for illegal immigration.

We are moving that way anyway - look at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/digital-identity and the idea that these should apply for those who arrive in the country.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Starmer in talks with Germany for closer links with the EU. (allegedly). Don't shoot me, I'm no expert. Is this good or bad? Somehow it feels bad, but if it's a better relationship, surely it's good? Or will he just be diluting the acrimoniously won benefits of Brexit. Whatever they may be.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Not that it was ever in doubt, but good to see an immediate shoring up of the pro-Ukraine position of the UK with these visits

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not hanging about. I do genuinely thing this government will be committed to public service.

Going to be very challenging putting out the Tory skipfire and dealing with the rise of fascism across the world

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Starmer in talks with Germany for closer links with the EU. (allegedly). Don't shoot me, I'm no expert. Is this good or bad? Somehow it feels bad, but if it's a better relationship, surely it's good? Or will he just be diluting the acrimoniously won benefits of Brexit. Whatever they may be.

Calling @WATFORD zero .

Can only be a benefit, shirley. Fighting crime, science/tech collaboration, setting young people free from being restricted to the one country of work (works in both directions), easing red tape for business with that vast market 20 miles away.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think a digital ID would be an excellent idea. Most European countries have them and it's a pity we don't. Here's the Estonian one: https://www.id.ee/en/

Unfortunately the idea has been corrupted/conflated by some people into the idea of intrusive government, when really it's a sensible extension of modern digital technology. It would help with immigration as it would help prevent much of the "shadow" economy, which is a major driver for illegal immigration.

We are moving that way anyway - look at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/digital-identity and the idea that these should apply for those who arrive in the country.

Now been ruled out by Home Secretary Yvette Cooper’s office

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
No doubt Keir will be "smashing the gangs" already, I expect immigration to all but stop by day 100.
There will be no messing with those gang smashers.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Under the previous government, 90% of people encountered on our morning dog walk would greet you in some way. Today, 50% :nono:
I guess it depends on how they greeted you though. 50% of folk with a cheery greeting is preferable to 90% greeting you with a scowl.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Meh, in my excitement that the cost of living may ease, I've overfilled my sausage rolls. The filling has leaked out of the ends and has burst the pastry. :confused:
I wanted to give him a chance but they look terrible, so Starmer out I'm afraid. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Meh, in my excitement that the cost of living may ease, I've overfilled my sausage rolls. The filling has leaked out of the ends and has burst the pastry. :confused:
I wanted to give him a chance but they look terrible, so Starmer out I'm afraid. 🤷‍♀️
:needpics:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here