Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
:smile:

That dish was superb, pork belly and halibut. I’m sure this will be state subsidized under Starmer.
Halibut and pork belly are favourites of mine ( although I like Bass too) but the chilled wine did it for me - I’m hoping it was a dry crisp Sauvignon or maybe you splashed out on a Chablis 🙂

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I’m normally a happy go lucky optimistic glass half full sort of bloke, but I found Thursday’s result dreadful. What should have been a celebration for me was drowned out by learning of the percentage vote of Farage’s National Front party. Personally I’m very VERY concerned about the future.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Halibut and pork belly are favourites of mine ( although I like Bass too) but the chilled wine did it for me - I’m hoping it was a dry crisp Sauvignon or maybe you splashed out on a Chablis 🙂

Sea Bass is nectar. We grew up on fresh Bass caught in summer by my Dad from the beach near Beachy Head. Before the decimation of sea stocks.

Baked with some butter.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m normally a happy go lucky optimistic glass half full sort of bloke, but I found Thursday’s result dreadful. What should have been a celebration for me was drowned out by learning of the percentage vote of Farage’s National Front party. Personally I’m very VERY concerned about the future.

Labour must get things right such as housing and availability of GP’s/dentists. To choke the interest stirred up by the quasi-fascists. In the first term for starters.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I t
What should have been a celebration for me was drowned out by learning of the percentage vote of Farage’s National Front party. Personally I’m very VERY concerned about the future.
And I’d say you’ve every right to be. We all should be. I’ve read quite a few dismissive posts on here regarding Reform and Farage since Thursday; but I believe when we look back in years to come, the story of this election just gone will be the emergence of Reform.

Over 4 million votes (4 f***ing million!) from a standing start. That’s 45% of the number of votes Labour got.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Champagne, Deutz

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes, you're being whooshed :LOL:
:LOL::love:
Difficult to know sometimes. Especially because I'm sure there are people who genuinely think like that :lolol:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Given that the Covid enquiry
regarding the UK's pandemic response and, by extension, future pandemic policy remains ongoing, it seems entirely inappropriate to bring Vallance into a cabinet position until said enquiry reaches its conclusions.
What do you think is inappropriate about appointing the Chief Medical Advisor to Covid?

He was openly honest about the previous Government’s ( ie Boris Johnson) response to the Pandemic - particularly where they could have responded more appropriately to the science that was made available to them.

Starmer seems to be deliberately appointing a cabinet that consist of experts in their field and are not led by ideological imperatives - seems to be a very sensible way forward. No?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I t

And I’d say you’ve every right to be. We all should be. I’ve read quite a few dismissive posts on here regarding Reform and Farage since Thursday; but I believe when we look back in years to come, the story of this election just gone will be the emergence of Reform.

Over 4 million votes (4 f***ing million!) from a standing start. That’s 45% of the number of votes Labour got.

France should be a warning.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
If anyone truly believes that Starmer and the Labour Government will in any way improve life for the average person in this country they've got a huge shock coming.
Are you a lefty who hates Starmer for not being Corbyn? Or are you one of those lifelong Tory voters who bases their view on the current Labour Party on things that happened in the seventies?

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
What do you think is inappropriate about appointing the Chief Medical Advisor to Covid?

He was openly honest about the previous Government’s ( ie Boris Johnson) response to the Pandemic - particularly where they could have responded more appropriately to the science that was made available to them.

Starmer seems to be deliberately appointing a cabinet that consist of experts in their field and are not led by ideological imperatives - seems to be a very sensible way forward. No?

Vallance was one of the key drivers of Lockdown. Starmer has spoken much of change. Establishing Vallance in a government position ahead of the conclusions of the Covid enquiry suggests a validation of the status quo and an interventionist approach of future pandemic policy; the huge economic and societal harms of lockdowns notwithstanding.

Until the enquiry returns its conclusions, I don't think that is correct. If Starmer wanted him as an advisor in the short term, fine. As a minister, no.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A really steady start for Sir Keir, his first focus looks like stopping people going to prison and cutting the countries "addiction" to sentencing and punishment of offenders.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Vallance was one of the key drivers of Lockdown. Starmer has spoken much of change. Establishing Vallance in a government position ahead of the conclusions of the Covid enquiry suggests a validation of the status quo and an interventionist approach of future pandemic policy; the huge economic and societal harms of lockdowns notwithstanding.

Until the enquiry returns its conclusions, I don't think that is correct. If Starmer wanted him as an advisor in the short term, fine. As a minister, no.
Fair enough - looking at it like that I agree. However Starmer completely agreed with an immediate lockdown too so not sure his policy response to another pandemic would be any different regardless of who was the Health minister. I don’t think any of us want to go back there again regardless ☹️.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The country is in complete chaos now just wait for more train strikes, strikes all over the place, higher taxes.
Hmmmm .... have you been living in a cave the last couple of years ?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
No, and Starmer and/or Streeting said pre-election they can't and won't do that.

But both sides will be entering discussions with a willing and positive mindset actively looking for resolution. That alone will make a compromise middleground easier to find.
100% this. Lack of goodwill has seemed to be a big issue until now.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Rwanda plan dead in the water

I had a bit of a chuckle when I heard Brains Braverman criticising Labour for the waste of money that scrapping this policy Is. Good job her lot did not spend gazillions on trying to implement an unworkable, red meat to the right plan that was only ever there as a cover up to the fact that they hadn’t a clue on how to tackle the real issue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pork belly is very very underrated imho. The one last night was gloriously soft and tasty.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One thing to note.

The Tories started off their election campaign with the line ‘Labour do not have a plan’. This was, however dropped when they realised is contradicted their tax plan lies propaganda.

In terms of a ‘plan’. Not only did Labour have a very good one for the election (ming vase strategy) but it also appears that they have significant plans in every department. Reading about the possible prisons strategy this morning, this is no Tory light government.

There is going to be massive positive change in this country over the next decade and Tories will be powerless to stop it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here