Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think the Labour Party are so much better than their performance so far.

But they’ve really f***ed up.

Starmer just won’t stick up for himself. He’s allowed the press to run and run with this silly non story about his free clothes and staying at a mate’s house and seems incapable of robustly speaking up for himself.

He either says nothing or meekly pays back some money to someone’.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That went well then. Always an utterly ridiculous appointment that was bound to end up like this.

Once Simon Case announced his decision to resign it was clear her days were numbered once he could speak freely, notwithstanding the fact that the entire cabinet and pretty much every SPAD can’t stand her.

Fair play to her for managing to wangle a face-saving complete non-job before her retirement is quietly announced on March 31st next year.
So, in a couple of posts, we've got two posts from mods. One describes this as astonishing hypocrisy :shrug:, and you've gone with it being an "utterly ridiculous appointment".
I'm aware you can only speak for yourself, but surely the appointment made perfect sense: she was a civil servant who knew the civil service intimately, and had experience at policy implementation. There was precious little of this in the Labour Party. I'm aware it hasn't gone too well of late, but it did help the transition from opposition to government.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So, in a couple of posts, we've got two posts from mods. One describes this as astonishing hypocrisy :shrug:, and you've gone with it being an "utterly ridiculous appointment".
I'm aware you can only speak for yourself, but surely the appointment made perfect sense: she was a civil servant who knew the civil service intimately, and had experience at policy implementation. There was precious little of this in the Labour Party. I'm aware it hasn't gone too well of late, but it did help the transition from opposition to government.
I’ll PM you next time I feel like posting on a topic, just to check it’s ok with you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the Labour Party are so much better than their performance so far.

But they’ve really f***ed up.

Starmer just won’t stick up for himself. He’s allowed the press to run and run with this silly non story about his free clothes and staying at a mate’s house and seems incapable of robustly speaking up for himself.

He either says nothing or meekly pays back some money to someone’.
Do you think the press would let it lie, if he did defend himself? It would give them fuel for their fires.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes. It’s all the fault of the pesky press, MAKING him take all that free stuff for him any his wife.
That’s not what I said. Golden rule with the press - don’t deny, don’t reply.

I am not going to be tempted to post all the freebies previous ministers have received, either.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That’s not what I said. Golden rule with the press - don’t deny, don’t reply.

I am not going to be tempted to post all the freebies previous ministers have received, either.
Absolutely….i havnt got all day to read that post….and yes you are right re your previous post over the press…..but Keir did kinda go on pre election about a new politics and they were quite happy to hammer the Tories when in power for their stuff …..shrug

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That’s not what I said. I am not going to be tempted to post all the freebies previous ministers have received, either.
What - all the freebies previous Ministers have received that was also reported by the press? That free stuff?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That went well then. Always an utterly ridiculous appointment that was bound to end up like this.

Once Simon Case announced his decision to resign it was clear her days were numbered once he could speak freely, notwithstanding the fact that the entire cabinet and pretty much every SPAD can’t stand her.

Fair play to her for managing to wangle a face-saving complete non-job before her retirement is quietly announced on March 31st next year.
I'm so pissed off at Labour and her

I'm convinced her report into the parties during covid was watered down as she knew she was about to jump ship and join Labour.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Let’s not forget her son Liam m, i’m sure she put a good word in for him a few weeks ago too!!

Within days of his election, he was appointed as a parliamentary private secretary at the Department for Transport. Talk about a rapid rise: perhaps he knows someone at the top?

“Unfortunately for Conlon, his new appointment has landed him in a spot of bother with the Mail on Sunday. For the newspaper points out today that the ministerial aide accepted a £4,000 donation from Britain’s biggest train drivers’ union – just months before his department offered it an inflation-busting pay rise. “

Ali barber apparently offered his local party in the Beckenham area a sizeable donation before his election too 😂

• Wow
Reactions: cjd

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sue Gray did SFA defending Labour's position when the shit was hitting the fan. Her job was to spin all the crap into a positive which appeared in the Tory run media.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But was instrumental in the demise of the most popular (by majority) Tory PM for decades by pretending she was neutral and could judge such a thing. And then got a £170k job from the Labour Party that benefitted hugely from her work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here