Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can sympathise and when I tell my state educated wife some of the tales from those very far off days ( thank f—k😁), she can’t believe it.
I really think that some on here who have banged on about public schools, but actually have no idea what it was like would have struggled to survive intact.
So different now, thankfully, but it was a pretty brutal austere life back in the day.
I totally agree.

Not many people I know would get through some of the punishments.

Being woken up at 5am and running 5 miles in your underwear in December, anyone?

Painting coal white?

10 mile run instead of going home on a Saturday?

To name but a few that I recall.

And all the everyday stuff. Grim.

Then endless marching round the square on CCF. Ugh.

It was no picnic.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Oh please. Let's not pretend the Conservatives didn't spend their time in power accepting absolutely everything they could. I thought it was terrible when they were doing it and it's terrible now Labour are doing it but it shouldn't be reported as if Labour are doing something dodgy which has never happened before and is totally beyond belief.

Hopefully this focus and attention on the freebies will drive behavioural change, because it's obviously grubby and inappropriate, but it's also obvious that the "outrage" is largely staged and an inconsistently applied standard.
Absolutely the Tories were doing the same thing but you would have to be very absent minded to not remember the outrage in the media and definitely on here about everything. It would be great if we had a set of politicians all round that were noble and by the book but we'll sadly never get that.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A friend told me was educated at a convent boarding school Her morther took her on her first day and the nuns were charming. However as soon as mother out of site the nun got the belt out

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A friend told me was educated at a convent boarding school Her morther took her on her first day and the nuns were charming. However as soon as mother out of site the nun got the belt out
Yes, I can well imagine.

Although strictly speaking, corporal punishment was outlawed by the time I went.

But none of the masters were beyond throwing hands or giving us a good whack with a strap.

Didn’t help that nearly all the masters were war veterans and many clearly had PTSD looking back. Anger issues to a man.

Anyway, Starmer! Pull your socks up lad, you’re making yourself look like a mutton head. Get your shit together.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I may be misunderstanding your post, but hopefully an apprenticeship will give them a skill for life enabling them to earn decent money for the rest of their working days. It would more than make up for losing a couple of quid an hour as a youngster, in what could be a dead end job.
I do agree with you but starting on a 16 year olds wages after 2 years in college isn't particularly inspiring for those leaving college. Surely paying them the same rate as any other 18 year old would be more likely to encourage them to finish what they started. On a 35 hour week 9-5 (I'm assuming they won't get paid for an hour lunch break) £75 difference in wages (gross) p/w is a lot to an 18 year old especially if they want to run a car. That £300 per month (might) pay for the insurance & tax on it.
There is a chance that I have got this completely wrong and the 2 years of college does make a difference to pay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here