Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
To be fair back on topic and what a superb speech from Sir Keir, much like the speech he gave to unions last week he had them eating out of the palm of his hand. A near 10 minute standing ovation to kick things off.
Probably because he managed to avoid calling them the Trade Onion Conference.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dunno about you but I’m a bit f***ing fed up of having to pay to build a new Britain while water companies and energy, and rail companies, and politicians take whatever they f***ing please.

There's definitely two or three UK societal parallel universes just now. Ministers, shadow ministers, London lawyers, utilities directors ... are they feeling the financial pain that 10m's have been and are?

For the hoi polloi, the main tangible light at the tunnel can only be significant mortgage rate reductions and for renters a chance to buy something affordable or social housing. This is a long haul.

Macro economically there must be some further hurt to come. How can pubs and restaurants survive when there's so little cash around, for example.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Dunno about you but I’m a bit f***ing fed up of having to pay to build a new Britain while water companies and energy, and rail companies, and politicians take whatever they f***ing please.
Things take time to change. And it won't be easy. Too many people get greased far too much to give up control. The money being creamed off the rail network and by energy companies (as just a couple of examples) makes it very, very hard to change. A lot of people are going to have to accept making a lot less money to make the changes required - will it ever happen? I hope it will. But it will take a few good men to make it happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Things take time to change. And it won't be easy. Too many people get greased far too much to give up control. The money being creamed off the rail network and by energy companies (as just a couple of examples) makes it very, very hard to change. A lot of people are going to have to accept making a lot less money to make the changes required - will it ever happen? I hope it will. But it will take a few good men to make it happen.

Railways (and I want renationalisation) - don't expect fare cuts, the dividends/salaries taken are trifling as a proportion of railway industry income. It won't help the personal finances of citizens or passengers. But hopefully one day it will end the madness of a load of companies covering the same region, with a raft of tickets.

Water companies - should be in state hands. Some greedy people would see the gravy train end. But cannot see any timeframe for this, other than Thames Water.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
More prisons and more pylons, should cheer the NIMBYs up no end.
Especially as Angela Rayner has made it clear that she won’t hesitate to use her powers as Housing and Communities Minister to over-ride Local Plans to allow housing development where she feels is best.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Railways (and I want renationalisation) - don't expect fare cuts, the dividends/salaries taken are trifling as a proportion of railway industry income. It won't help the personal finances of citizens or passengers. But hopefully one day it will end the madness of a load of companies covering the same region, with a raft of tickets.

Water companies - should be in state hands. Some greedy people would see the gravy train end. But cannot see any timeframe for this, other than Thames Water.
I'd prefer mutal ownernship as then we would all have a say in any future sell off.

Water should be owned by us all. I'd go as far as saying that water/waste should be zero charge for domestic usage, it's essential. That said, my pension provider is the main shareholder so I want a good price for it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd prefer mutal ownernship as then we would all have a say in any future sell off.

Water should be owned by us all. I'd go as far as saying that water/waste should be zero charge for domestic usage, it's essential. That said, my pension provider is the main shareholder so I want a good price for it.

Zero charge - how would the cost of running the water boards, staff and improved infrastructure be paid for?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
IMG_0098.jpeg

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Zero charge - how would the cost of running the water boards, staff and improved infrastructure be paid for?
Through the tax system, the more you earn the more you pay. I get seperate water and waste bills, based on the rateable value of my home. At the moment it's a like a wealth tax levied by private companies (of dubious ownership) who are syphoning out the assets of the business while filling the rivers with shit. I'd rather it just came out at source or council tax, apart from digging wells and tanks I can't change supplier. It could also remove a lot of the admin.

I do realise it's not realistic ... but it does lead me to question who will pay for the new sewers and pipes for all these new houses ... the same way as in the ragged trousered philaphropists I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here