Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think Sir Keir is probably handling all this noise very well. The media is largely right wing driven so of course they're going to make big scandals out of everything that happened, and pretend that Boris Johnson's premiership didn't happen at all. Nothing Labour are being accused of so far is even a blip on the radar compared to the obvious corruption that went on under BoJo.

I was listening to a talking head yesterday saying how Sir Keir is going to lose re-election because of how unpopular he is right now... as if it matters, 5 years out from the next election! This is exactly the time for the hard choices, take benefits and entitlements away from the people who don't need them and re-design the system to support those who do. Cut some of the wastage, the fraud and the cheats and try to drive improvements wherever possible. Realistically, this whole term will be spent undoing the failed policies of the previous government.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Do you think it would be less of a furore if he treated it as a benefit in kind for tax purposes? I’ve no issue with him like anyone needing a break from the job
It seems unfair that by virtue of his position as PM and the increased personal threats that comes with the job makes it unsafe for him and completely unpractical (given the number of security guards he needs) to be expected to use the STH seats he has been doing for years with his boys.

I get the impression that Starmer, like most of us though, would rather be embroiled in the noisy, fun and atmospheric meleé of watching live football from the terraces than in a free hospitality box - I honestly can’t see why Arsenal should not be able to give the PM a complimentary one, it is an interest he has declared - he’s supported them for years - at around £9,000 a game - he would probably get just as much stick if he spent the money out of his personal income. Along the lines of ‘out of touch rich PM spends £9,000 on football hospitality box per game while pensioners die in their homes from cold’ .

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
It seems unfair that by virtue of his position as PM and the increased personal threats that comes with the job makes it unsafe for him and completely unpractical (given the number of security guards he needs) to be expected to use the STH seats he has been doing for years with his boys.

I get the impression that Starmer, like most of us though, would rather be embroiled in the noisy, fun and atmospheric meleé of watching live football from the terraces than in a free hospitality box - I honestly can’t see why Arsenal should not be able to give the PM a complimentary one, it is an interest he has declared - he’s supported them for years - at around £9,000 a game - he would probably get just as much stick if he spent the money out of his personal income. Along the lines of ‘out of touch rich PM spends £9,000 on football hospitality box per game while pensioners die in their homes from cold’ .
Ultimately, I think this is the truth with Starmer and Arsenal. He's an actual fan, it's something he's always done. If going to games was a new habit he'd picked up, then it would be dodgy but it's not - his explanation why he's taking the hospitality is perfectly sensible and cost-effective. He shouldn't have to give up his hobbies because he's become PM. I don't particularly want to be indirectly paying for it, but he's PM and he's entitled to a life whilst serving in office.

I think he would have known that this would be a stick used to beat him with either way, so he's done the right thing rather than the politically advantageous thing of just not going to games.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Ultimately, I think this is the truth with Starmer and Arsenal. He's an actual fan, it's something he's always done. If going to games was a new habit he'd picked up, then it would be dodgy but it's not - his explanation why he's taking the hospitality is perfectly sensible and cost-effective. He shouldn't have to give up his hobbies because he's become PM. I don't particularly want to be indirectly paying for it, but he's PM and he's entitled to a life whilst serving in office.

I think he would have known that this would be a stick used to beat him with either way, so he's done the right thing rather than the politically advantageous thing of just not going to games.
Would never happen on Jezza's watch!
Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 2.23.50 PM.png

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Those whinging at the new Labour government are like those declaring Georginio R a total waste of money after a couple of appearances.
The reality is it’s far too early to make clear judgements.
So far so very average, the clothes donations is noise, the most worrying trait for me is the constant blaming of their predecessors. It’s well known in political circles that this is generally given incredibly short shrift by the voting public.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports