Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's day one of Labour. The Conservatives were never going to survive, whoever the opposition and rightly so. Labour seems to have the Gordon Brown approach. ' I won't increase income tax, but everything else is fair game.' Their selling point is change. So how's it going for you today? As a retired homeowner with modest pension and savings, I don't expect to fare well economically. But what about the NHS, education, welfare, the environment, immigration, employment and the rest, all of which impact me less directly (apart from the NHS!). Like anyone with a family though, I worry for my children's present and future and my grandchildren's futures. This might be a good home to post how the changes affect you over the next 5 years. Will the mood of optimism be justified or will Labour just be another sh1tshow? Will the lack of a credible opposition be a good thing or a bad thing? Don't bother with the rhetorical questions or post back at me. I just thought it would be interesting to have one thread for how life has has improved or otherwise for us under Labour over the next 5 years.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I genuinely can't remember the last time the morning walk with the dog took place in the pissing rain, but today it was lashing it down.

As a result, instead of the usual 60-75 minutes out on the Downs, we had about 25 minutes closer to home.

As we squelched our way back, my faithful friend gave me a look that clearly meant "What the f*** - was that it?" to which I could only reply "Starmer innit, and you better get used to it."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A friendly post back at you, I don’t think your modest pension and savings will be adversely hit. I like to read up on financial matters.

As a very small business owner, I expect to pay more in taxes. If it’s fair, if they close loopholes for people who don’t play by the rules, I’ll accept that. We need vastly better mental health services, affordable homes for example.

It if helps my young adult offspring one day own a home, that’ll be a result for me. Imho Tory, LD and Green councillors and nimbies all conspired to create an impasse in planning permissions. Always; not round here, why not up north? Selfish. If Labour fix that, they would’ve done a good job.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've just finished my breakfast.

Going well so far.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
@Bozza - The sun is shining in Cumbria right at this moment. It was obviously the north wot won it - so we're being rewarded!
The good people of Worthing did their bit, painting both sides of the town red.

If it's not sunny for our lunchtime walk, I shall begin my "Starmer Out!" campaign.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That Starmer!

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Hopes:

- Investment in infrastructure
- Reduction in economic inequality
- Reduction of unskilled foreign labour
- Greater regulation of utility companies
- Reduction of tax avoidance by rich people and companies

Expectations:

- Not a lot will change
- Labour involved in some kind of internal scandal
- A war or something else will f*** things up
- Conservatives back in in five years

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Weather's crap, Starmer Out!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I didn't vote Labour in protest of bringing in a Lambeth Starmer cronie with zero connection locally over a couple of very good local candidates. Complete political appointment rather than local appointment.

Saying that Laughton was useless. Been in power for years and didnt address key local issues.

Jury is out so far. Let's see if he manages to fix anything. My natural cynical trait thinks that pretty much all politicians are fvcking useless and just looking after themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here