Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Kitchen Draw of Chaos.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bad spelling is the main draw of this top-drawer thread. It certainly drew me in.
I just hope the OP is aware of when he plays the National Lottery, which draw he is entering, either Saturday or Wednesday, and in which drawer he keeps his tickets.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You'll never know that you need various grades of fuse wire until it's too late.

I have a special box for scary-lectrics is the man cave. fuses.jpeg

Jul 20, 2003
I'm in the process of moving house.

I assume we all have said draw.

Am I right in thinking the correct procedure is to attempt to declutter the entire house, but that draw remains sacrosanct?

It's contents gets tipped straight into a box.
Then tipped into a similar positioned draw in the new kitchen.

View attachment 143471

Yes I am bored and yes all other tenses of that word also apply.

Definitely a thread for the fan club

Not seeing any of those little spike/ flower cake candle holders.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
We moved at the end of June so tidied up the kitchen junk drawer. We just had a new kitchen fitted in the new house and I made sure I specified a junk drawer in the design knowing that it will be needed.

Currently, Mrs DCH has made an effort to organise this using little baskets but it won't take long for them to be overwhelmed with the level of junk, takeaway menus, etc that are already accumulating in there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not seeing any of those little spike/ flower cake candle holders.

So where the f**k have they all gone?

You are correct all the blue and white candles have gone too.
There aren't even any holders under the fuse wire.

I'll own up to no string - but I'm flummoxed as to why there are no candle holders.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Our version of that drawer contains (this list is obviously NOT exhaustive):

- Dozens of AA / AAA batteries, of assorted brands, completely unsorted between new / dead ones
- about 6 screwdrivers (that are seemingly ALL flats if I need a cross-head, and transform into cross-heads if I need a flat)
- About three blister packs of assorted watch batteries (all with the lines of actually useful sizes exhausted)
- Lots of assorted screws and pins
- Some unidentified old chargers
- Fuse wire (we do actually still have an old fashioned fuse box :eek: )
- Some old surplus kitchen cupboard hinges, saved when discarding an old unit (just in case...)
- Around a dozen random KEYS.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Nope. The house we live in has a large hall area so I suggested that we get a sideboard type thingy for "dumping stuff", so we now have an entire SIDEBOARD of chaos consisting of 2 drawers and 2 cupboards.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, tip the contents into new drawer in new house. Our drawer is on at least it's third house.

I just checked and the pink and blue candle holders (that were definitely there but aren't now), seem to have evolved into balloons (of which there are many, but nobody ever put them there)

In my entire life I have never lived in, or indeed spent time in, a house in the UK without such a drawer.

My question (and looking at you here [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]) is whether this is a UK thing or are there such drawers around the world, and if so, how do they differ culturally?

As soon as I saw the thread title and before opening it I thought "fuse wire" and I was not dissappointed.

Has anyone, ever (electricians excepted) deployed fuse wire?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As soon as I saw the thread title and before opening it I thought "fuse wire" and I was not dissappointed.

Has anyone, ever (electricians excepted) deployed fuse wire?

How else would I fix it when one blows? :shrug:

(about half a dozen times, over the course of 18 years at the house - normally when a halogen bulb in the kitchen pops)

Last edited:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It's the Tupperware drawer for me. Full of various takeaway containers of marginally different sizes. Absolute chaos. It's very stressful, but how on earth are you meant to organise it.

I've tried a few times, but when you stack them all into neat piles, a) you can still never find the right lid, and b) whatever system you try is usually messed up within a few days when some idiot (sometimes my wife, usually me) puts a box or lid in the wrong place.

I'm pretty sure half of the boxes we have in the drawer don't even have a lid that matches now anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's the Tupperware drawer for me. Full of various takeaway containers of marginally different sizes. Absolute chaos. It's very stressful, but how on earth are you meant to organise it.

I've tried a few times, but when you stack them all into neat piles, a) you can still never find the right lid, and b) whatever system you try is usually messed up within a few days when some idiot (sometimes my wife, usually me) puts a box or lid in the wrong place.

I'm pretty sure half of the boxes we have in the drawer don't even have a lid that matches now anyway.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

The drawer / cupboard you are referring to is a completely separate disaster zone to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] 's drawer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The cynic in me thinks he's done it on purpose to get the pedants posting replies.

Thank you but no :down:

Clearly I was having a moment.

Thankfully all the perfectionists here are so forgiving for those less fortunate than themselves.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here