Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Kerry Mayo debate

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kneon Light said:
Can someone ask him to score a few o.g's between now and the end of the season then :lolol:
It would have been a better option than pushing the Cardiff player yesterday

Dazbez

Sep 10, 2004
I think he had a point that Mayo aint too good. Yeah maybe not in the top 2 ever but still not good. Having said that its calls like that one last night that stir up debate. He can have his opinion and call phone in's to express them. Thats the whole point of a phone in.

He has been to Gillingham, he has seen the albion through good times and bad. Trust me he does have some strange opinions, but he means well.

By the way he was lashed when he called yesterday.

All good fun though.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i don't think kerry's good enough yes he's loyal,commited and trys hard but he dont do if for me and i think both harding and johna are better options at left back than kerry.he's been written of time and time again but always bounces back and has been a great servent for the club.i wouldnt give him a new contract but he'll do a job for someone down the leagues.
but there is no way what so ever he is in the worst 2 players ever absolutly no chance ashley neal,david cameron,jamie campbell,micheal mahoney johnson,david adekola are just a few but im sure i could come up with hundreds of players far worse than kerry in terms of abilty and thousends in terms of effort in the twenty three years iv been watching the albion

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Whatever we achieve as a team, we achieve despite having Kerry Mayo in the side. I'm not questioning his commitment, just his ability. In my opinion, he's been masquerading as a professional footballer way too long, and is completely & utterly out of his depth at this level. He lives in Peacehaven & I wish to God that he played for them. That way, we might avoid relegation. We now have 2 points from the last 4 games, which is relegation form. Had Kerry not played against Derby, We'd be safe by now. Contracts should be awarded according to ability, not sentiment.

Dazbez said:
Having said that its calls like that one last night that stir up debate.

But the wrong type of stupid, OTT polarised debate - of the likes we've had recently with MacCammon and before that with Oatway. It's no substitute for a balanced assessment of the actual strengths and weaknesses of a player - most players have both these things and generally a player is never as shit, or for that matter, as good, as they are made out to be in the polarised NSC discussions.

Mayo's just had two average games and suddenly everyone forgets the prominent role he played in the unbeaten January run.

Last edited:

Dazbez

Sep 10, 2004
London Irish said:
Mayo's just had two average games and suddenly everyone forgets the prominent role he played in the unbeaten January run. [/B]

Now that is too much to take in, you can count the good games he has had on one hand, I don't doubt he trys his nuts off but he is poor. Just cos he is a local lad and been around for a while we dont have to keep the man in the team, or the squad or even the club.

I cant remember him playing a prominent role in any game ever.

Dazbez

Sep 10, 2004
Jam The Man said:

The cherry on top of the cake was the next call when the original twat's 'life partner' came on to defend him!

That was me sticking up for him, He was there and he was furious at what he had just seen. He can have his opinion any time he likes.

The few of us who got of our sofas and made the effort on sat know how bad the whole thing was, you propb had some decorating to do or something more important.

I wouldn't agree with all he said I was angry that Harty cuts people off then makescrappy little remarks about them, challenge them on air harty, not when they have not right for reply.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
If I remember rightly he didn't cut him off. The guy wouldn't have a discussion with Harty, he just kept prattling on about how shit Mayo was so Harty let him have his say and said goodbye. Then Harty gave his opinion on the matter which I think most sane people would agree with. Mayo is far from the best player we've got but to say he is top two worst ever ultimately means you've got serious mental issues.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Don't like it... switch off.

Harty's far LESS controversial than most phone-in hosts - he doesn't just stir things up for the sake of it, and he knows his Albion inside out.

Mayo's not around to defend himself, so it's perfectly fair for the host to give the other opinion.

Of course, your mate's entitled to his opinion too - even if it does make him sound like a complete and utter c*ck.

Dazbez

Sep 10, 2004
You should sit in the car with him every week.

He did have debate with Harty. Harty only likes those people who phone up and agree with him.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Dazbez said:
You should sit in the car with him every week.

He did have debate with Harty. Harty only likes those people who phone up and agree with him.

This guy was an exception to the rule. Generally he's pretty fair about people having different opinions to his own but this guy was an idiot. I wouldn't expect Harty to just sit there and accept someone phoning up and slagging one of our players off like that. Especially when what the guy says is complete bulshit. Good on him I say :clap:

Last edited:

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
Ginger Prince is a legend if this fella had seen him play at leeds he would not have made that comment...As Kerry was the best player on the park.....yes he has his bad days don't we all

I think Harty did an excellent job with this weeks phone in, particularly with this goon. Sometimes Harty isn't firm enough with the idiots but this week he was spot on.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
But the wrong type of stupid, OTT polarised debate - of the likes we've had recently with MacCammon and before that with Oatway. It's no substitute for a balanced assessment of the actual strengths and weaknesses of a player - most players have both these things and generally a player is never as shit, or for that matter, as good, as they are made out to be in the polarised NSC discussions.

What you mean your views?

Regarding Mayo, the fact that he has played 300 odd games for the club under something like 8 managers, suggests that he has something about him. Before Saturday he has looked very comfortable in the side and in all fairness on Saturday they were all poor.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Mayo is a decent enough player at this level. A couple of bad results and some fans start looking for a scapegoat.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
GUNTER said:
Mayo is a decent enough player at this level. A couple of bad results and some fans start looking for a scapegoat.

Some don't even need the excuse of bad results.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Re: Re: The Kerry Mayo debate

Dazbez said:
That was me sticking up for him, He was there and he was furious at what he had just seen. He can have his opinion any time he likes.

The few of us who got of our sofas and made the effort on sat know how bad the whole thing was, you propb had some decorating to do or something more important.

I wouldn't agree with all he said I was angry that Harty cuts people off then makescrappy little remarks about them, challenge them on air harty, not when they have not right for reply.

1. Sticking up for him was embarrassing - true friends
would have told him that his opinion - though he's
entitled to it - was shockingly wrong.. have some balls.

2. I was there and heard the phone in on tape when I got home. Yeah it was bad, but to make the comment he did was ridiculous and unintelligent

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
The thing with mayo is that he tries hard but:

1) he has no pace
2) he can't pass
3) he can't take the ball past another player
4) He will always make at least one glaring error per game
5) his tackling/positioning is suspect.

Dazbez

Sep 10, 2004
Now to tape a phone in that is sad.

Get a grip boys everyone dislikes certain players and Jay hates Mayo, nothing we can do about that.

I think it's great that he has wound you up so much.

If we want to move forward we need players who can play football, not just try hard.

We have both been on the phone in many times, we were both at Leeds, where I dont remember Mayo having an outstanding game.

Even true supporters can have a dislike of their own players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here