Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The just got back from Watford Thread....

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Not that I want to start a is it ok to boo conversation but you'd understand if people did. No wins in 9 and in many of those games we've gone from not winning to not scoring either to not scoring or even having a shot on target too. What next, we don't take to the field even? At that point I think I might boo. Having a shot on target isn't too much to ask and there's been hardly any for a number of games now. Not just tonight.

I guess it is understandable to show your frustration with the team but still not sure I agree with the actual booing.

Anyway Sunday is a new game and the Amex has to get 100% behind the lads. This is the same team that looked awesome at the start of the season, gave Liverpool a good game and went away to Cardiff and showed them how it's done.

They now look like they are lacking confidence which is understandable but if 20,000 of us get behind them it's gotta help come Sunday.

In Gus We Trust

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Terrible performance.

Instead of playing our way, we went direct and tried to play Watford at their own game, and with our players, that was never going to work.

Best thing to do is put the one aside and move on. I'm not overly concerned because that wasn't a typical Albion performance. If we continue to play like that, I'll be very concerned, but the evidence so far suggests that we'll be able to play our normal game most weeks.

Bring on Barnsley at the Amex on our massive brilliant pitch. No doubt at all we'll be much much better.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I feel quite sorry for the fans who went up there tonight! Everyone has come back suicidal.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Terrible performance.

Instead of playing our way, we went direct and tried to play Watford at their own game, and with our players, that was never going to work.

Best thing to do is put the one aside and move on. I'm not overly concerned because that wasn't a typical Albion performance. If we continue to play like that, I'll be very concerned, but the evidence so far suggests that we'll be able to play our normal game most weeks.

Bring on Barnsley at the Amex on our massive brilliant pitch. No doubt at all we'll be much much better.

Pretty much sums it up for me. In almost all of the games in this poor run bar tonight we have looked a decent team which just needs a lucky break to kick-start things again. Tonight's side was relatively depleted - we've got a lot of our best players still to come back in.

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
- zero shots on target. Really bad! Never going to score if we don't get shots on target or at least make their keeper make a save.
- why so many long balls tonight? Because we had Paynter starting? Didn't work. He didn't win many headers for a target man!
- free kicks and corners were terrible. Surely a pro footballer should be able to deliver a decent ball into the box and beat the 1st defender.
- when crosses did make it into their box no Albion players challenging for the ball.
- CMS must be getting really pissed off at the lack of service.
- For their goal Calde didn't win the initial header from a cross. I'm sure a taller dunk would have.
- Another goal conceded late on in a game. How mant times is that now this season? At least 5 times from drawing or winning positions I think
- Feel really let down with that performance tonight.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just back . Utter tripe . Clueless and ended up hoofing. We are going backwards . Why can't we cross or take a corner . Worst under Poyet . Looked bottom 3 and this playing an awful side

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I feel quite sorry for the fans who went up there tonight! Everyone has come back suicidal.

Not quite, but I rode out of Clapham Junction as all the Brighton fans who had just missed the train, were standing on the platform waiting for the delayed next one.

Funniest chant at the station tonight: "F*cking British Rail" at the train they just missed. He'll be waiting there a long time for one of theirs to come along.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Diabolical performance.

The single most frustrating thing for me (amongst many) was Noone. He stayed rigidly out on the right and never ONCE did he take his man on. Not once. He had LOADS of the ball in the 2nd half, and all he ever did was cut inside onto his left and sling in a totally ineffectual cross that was cleared easily. Every. Single. Time. Time and time again. It was utterly maddening to watch, christ knows what CMS was making of it. We obviously got f***-all down the left from Painter all night, so WHY didn't Noone switch sides ? Service to the forwards was COMPLETELY non-existant all night.

We did at least improve moderately after the break (it could hardly have been any worse), but Watford were about as unimaginative and basic a side we're going to play at this level, and they totally deserved the win.

We've lost our mojo big time.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
Diabolical performance.

The single most frustrating thing for me (amongst many) was Noone. He stayed rigidly out on the right and never ONCE did he take his man on. Not once. He had LOADS of the ball in the 2nd half, and all he ever did was cut inside onto his left and sling in a totally ineffectual cross that was cleared easily. Every. Single. Time. Time and time again. It was utterly maddening to watch, christ knows what CMS was making of it. We obviously got f***-all down the left from Painter all night, so WHY didn't Noone switch sides ? Service to the forwards was COMPLETELY non-existant all night.

We did at least improve moderately after the break (it could hardly have been any worse), but Watford were about as unimaginative and basic a side we're going to play at this level, and they totally deserved the win.

We've lost our mojo big time.

Spot on. I was saying this for almost the entire game, I don't understand why we persisted with playing Noone on the right, when every time he got in a decent position he predictably cut back onto his left and was easily dealt with by their defenders.

It was a really shocking performance, particularly from the midfield, Harley and Sparrow were awful and why didn't Navarro replace Bridcutt?

I really hope Buckley, Reyes and Bridcutt fit for Sunday.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Genuinely the worst performance I have seen from us under Gus. Hoofball was painful to watch, CMS must be getting royally f***ed off, all that work and he never gets any service. Noone is trying as hard as anything but as our only creative outlet he gets doubled up on in wide positions, so he's got to skin two or even three defenders and then put in an absolutely world class ball onto someone's forehead before we look like scoring. Vincelot and Sparrow put in fantastic shifts and tried to get forward, but lack the vision or passing ability of Vicente or Dicker. Harley is a f***ing joke, poncing about losing possession EVERY. TIME. he gets on the ball.

Its all very well saying the players aren't up to it - and it's clear some of them aren't; it's all very well saying we have lots to come back from injury, which we do. But the key for me is the actual tactic. Gus' passing game is fantastic when it works but I don't understand why we can't still play a passing game in a flat 442 or a diamond 442. We are screaming out for width because if Noone cuts in off the flank and shifts the ball infield we have nobody on the opposite flank. Calde gets bollocked for going forward and told to learn his defensive positioning by playing centre back, but Painter is SO slow getting forward we're completely one dimensional. Option 1 - Play it out from defence to midfield in pretty triangles, finally get it wide to Noone, he beats the man, overhits the cross. Option 2 - get closed down trying to get the ball into midfield, switch to the opposite full back, who dinks it into a channel for CMS to chase down in vain.

We need width and we need it badly. The weird lopsided 4123 with one winger isn't working. I'm not sure that's the players, or the form, it's just too predictable. In Gus we trust, but he's still a rookie too, and he needs to learn to adapt quickly, because his only changes recently have been personnel, mostly forced. He's stubborn which in some ways is great, but he needs to accept when something's not working, and instead of ranting about the players not being good enough, he needs to change the shape but keep the mentality. And most of all, get CMS some service.

-------------Harper--------------
---Reyes Dunk Greer Painter---
Buckley Bridcutt Vicente Noone
-----Mackail-Smith Paynter-----

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
- zero shots on target. Really bad! Never going to score if we don't get shots on target or at least make their keeper make a save.
- why so many long balls tonight? Because we had Paynter starting? Didn't work. He didn't win many headers for a target man!
- free kicks and corners were terrible. Surely a pro footballer should be able to deliver a decent ball into the box and beat the 1st defender.
- when crosses did make it into their box no Albion players challenging for the ball.
- CMS must be getting really pissed off at the lack of service.
- For their goal Calde didn't win the initial header from a cross. I'm sure a taller dunk would have.
- Another goal conceded late on in a game. How mant times is that now this season? At least 5 times from drawing or winning positions I think
- Feel really let down with that performance tonight.

All of this, one positive for me though.....

Tano - absolute class.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Its all very well saying the players aren't up to it - and it's clear some of them aren't; it's all very well saying we have lots to come back from injury, which we do. But the key for me is the actual tactic. Gus' passing game is fantastic when it works but I don't understand why we can't still play a passing game in a flat 442 or a diamond 442. We are screaming out for width because if Noone cuts in off the flank and shifts the ball infield we have nobody on the opposite flank. Calde gets bollocked for going forward and told to learn his defensive positioning by playing centre back, but Painter is SO slow getting forward we're completely one dimensional. Option 1 - Play it out from defence to midfield in pretty triangles, finally get it wide to Noone, he beats the man, overhits the cross. Option 2 - get closed down trying to get the ball into midfield, switch to the opposite full back, who dinks it into a channel for CMS to chase down in vain.

We need width and we need it badly. The weird lopsided 4123 with one winger isn't working. I'm not sure that's the players, or the form, it's just too predictable. In Gus we trust, but he's still a rookie too, and he needs to learn to adapt quickly, because his only changes recently have been personnel, mostly forced. He's stubborn which in some ways is great, but he needs to accept when something's not working, and instead of ranting about the players not being good enough, he needs to change the shape but keep the mentality. And most of all, get CMS some service.

This, this and this with cherries on top. Yes, the lads were poor last night. Nooney had no end product, Greer made some shocking long ball attempts, Harley looked like he couldn't care less and once again CMS had no service.

But Gus has to take a lot of the blame here. He didn't like the hoof ball? Then why the f*** didn't he get the message through to Harper, Greer etc. to play it on the ground? And what is the point of playing 'tippy-tappy', 'tika-taka' or whatever you call it football - is it for every player to be congested and find no space, or is it to stretch the field? Is that not why Gus designed the pitch at the Amex for? Then if so, why the hell aren't we playing with 2 wingers? I'm not a huge fan of Marcos Painter, but how can he expect him to command the whole of the left side all night? Because we're not stretching the field, all to often CMS and Paynter have their backs to the goal as everything is congested. Hell, CMS' headed goals this season have come from stretching the field so that when the ball comes in, it's just him and another defender.

CMS' body language was both understandable and worrying; he's working 110% every game and getting absolutely no service, largely because of how we play. Also, why the hell do we have KLL if he can only get about five minutes of playing time when both Buckley and Vicente are out? I know he's lightweight, but is there a better time for him to get a chance?

Really disappointing last night. Gus isn't learning his lessons very well. Sickening to see how we played Watford off the pitch in January, yet resorted to West Ham-style tactics last night.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I didnt go last night or Saturday but u was there at the Hull game and most other games this season and it's almost like since Harley and Vicente signed the team have lost some cohesion and spirit...

Also, i love watching Nooney but recently he has run out of ideas and his final ball has been extremely poor and for a player of that type, if that happens then they should be replaced and the tactics adjusted accordingly rather than play an ineffective player.

Yesterday if you look at our midfield we had Vincelot, sparrow, Harley and noone and other than sparrow the other three were all playing for teams who this time last year were in the bottom half of league 1 in Dagenham, Exeter and Plymouth and I think that is the key to our issues at the moment.

I think if Gus had a fully fit squad then you'd see Reyes, Bridcutt and then a combination of Vicente, Buckley, Noone and LuaLua in midfield all of whom would easily drop into most Championship midfields.

If we had a fully fit squad and were losing against Watford then i would be worried but with a League 2 midfield, it's no wonder were not winning games in the championship!!!

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here