Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The just got back from Watford Thread....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I didnt go last night or Saturday but u was there at the Hull game and most other games this season and it's almost like since Harley and Vicente signed the team have lost some cohesion and spirit...

Also, i love watching Nooney but recently he has run out of ideas and his final ball has been extremely poor and for a player of that type, if that happens then they should be replaced and the tactics adjusted accordingly rather than play an ineffective player.

Yesterday if you look at our midfield we had Vincelot, sparrow, Harley and noone and other than sparrow the other three were all playing for teams who this time last year were in the bottom half of league 1 in Dagenham, Exeter and Plymouth and I think that is the key to our issues at the moment.

I think if Gus had a fully fit squad then you'd see Reyes, Bridcutt and then a combination of Vicente, Buckley, Noone and LuaLua in midfield all of whom would easily drop into most Championship midfields.

If we had a fully fit squad and were losing against Watford then i would be worried but with a League 2 midfield, it's no wonder were not winning games in the championship!!!

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

It's not the fact that since we signed Vicente that we have lost cohesion, it's the fact he is rarely fit enough to play. People keep going on about when we get Buckley back or Hoskins Vicente etc but no one of them has been able to string a number of games together.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yesterday if you look at our midfield we had Vincelot, sparrow, Harley and noone and other than sparrow the other three were all playing for teams who this time last year were in the bottom half of league 1 in Dagenham, Exeter and Plymouth and I think that is the key to our issues at the moment.

Still, they're players who have been bought in by Poyet for a decent amount of money. So, either he is wasting Bloom's money, he can't spot a decent player or he doesn't know how to get the best out of his players.

We can't keep hoping for the return of Buckley and Vicente. We need every last player to perform consistently well.

And we need Poyet to stop threatening to 'go home' and actually work out how to get our season turned around.

Watford4ever

Jan 9, 2011
I am not sure if it was because you guys were poor in the first half but that probably was our best half of attacking football all season in terms of chances created.

You guys had the better of the 2nd but didn't look like scoring (again we looked more solid at the back than usual) and we nicked a rather scrappy winner.

Notice you've gto a few injury problems..surely cannot help?

Anyway good luck for the season!

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Looking really hard for a positive, the best i can come up with is that I would have thought we'd get completely stuffed playing like that in this division, and in actual fact it was a fairly even game.

The quality of football has been lower than I expected in this division so far and I'd add Watford to a growing number of teams I've seen so far that we would absolutely walk over if we could somehow reclaim just a bit of the panache from last season.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Looking really hard for a positive, the best i can come up with is that I would have thought we'd get completely stuffed playing like that in this division, and in actual fact it was a fairly even game.

The quality of football has been lower than I expected in this division so far and I'd add Watford to a growing number of teams I've seen so far that we would absolutely walk over if we could somehow reclaim just a bit of the panache from last season.

Are you sure - if Watford had shooting boots on we would have been 4 down at half time - we play like that against Saints it will be a cricket score....

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Are you sure - if Watford had shooting boots on we would have been 4 down at half time - we play like that against Saints it will be a cricket score....

That's true. But if my granny had balls, she'd be my Granddad. Chances are we'll lose at St Mary's just like every other team in 2011 but let's see...

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London

Yeah I agree that we could have been 4-0 down and I think it's more a mark of Watford's poor quality up front than our defence that we weren't.

In terms of the game being even - they definitely had more chances but we had far more possession for most of the second half despite giving the ball away cheaply and repeatedly. That wouldn't happen against a better side.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Didn't go tonight due to a bereavement but this was my local game so would have been there. Well done all that went. Was it really worse than e.g. Hull (think carefully before answering) home performance as a qualifier for those of us who couldn't go?

MILES worse. Absolutely no comparison. The Albion that played v Hull would have betean last night's Albion by three or four.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Hard to add anything new, but we all know Gus's trademark game demands brains, clever running and short, perfectly timed and weighted passes. What we saw last night was the total opposite – nervous Albion statues who'd stand on the ball, seemingly bewildered, only to then play the totally obvious pass everyone else in the ground had seen 10 seconds earlier. Other than that, pointless lumping that was destined always for opposition heads.

Truly, the worst performance I've seen in a long while. You do wonder just what goes on in the dressing room, and how the players can get away with so flagrantly ignoring their manager's instructions.

I thought Taricco, Painter, Vincelot and Calderon the best of a very poor bunch. Any of the rest deserve to be dropped.

Last edited:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Not good last night, tactically been done to death before. But in my view the players in possession should be making it difficult for the likes of Vicente, Buckley, Hoskins etc. to come back. Unfortunately this is not the case. To quote one of our players 'when we get in a fight ( hyperthetically) we don't know how to fight back' . Or words to that effect.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Last season we waltzed all over them in the cup, since then they've lost key players and we've added a few more to our squad yet the performances were so far apart in terms of quality it was unreal!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I think the worst thing about the long balls was they seemed to be aimed at Noone! And the ones aimed at Paynter didn't really succeed, I doubt Nosworthy even broke into a sweat the entire game

This. Always a good policy imo to hoof to the smallest bloke on the pitch - continually.

Very disappointed with Noone last night - saw a lot of the ball but couldn't create any space and as for his final ball, particularly crosses, they were just awful. Unlike many others I thought Harley was OK last night and certainly not our worst player - he was the only one who offered any forward passes of any accuracy and when he was substituted I thought our performance deteriorated even further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here