Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jam

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
great thread! best band in the world ever!
best song? very hard ... i guess it has to be smither jones

but saturdays boys, eton rifles, tube station, butterfly collector arent far behind
and as i am feeling homesick today a special mention to english rose

"No matter where I roam
I will return to my English rose
For no bonds can ever tempt me from she
I've sailed the seven seas,
Flown the whole blue sky.
But I've returned with haste to where my
Love does lie.
No matter where I go I will come back to my English Rose
For nothing, "could" ever "tempt" me from she.
I've searched the secret mists -
I've climbed the highest peaks
Caught the wild wind home
To hear her soft voice speak
No matter where I roam"

--------------
and that from someone who gave us
A Bomb in Wardour Street and Thick as Thieves!

but it has to be Smithers Jones

favourite line...
"get out of the pack before they peel you back!"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
--------------

favourite line...
nice one Loco... Smithers Jones will always have a very special place in my affections as it is responsible for the only "A" grade I have ever got in an exam...!!

My O Level Endlish Language paper had as it's main question a photo of the City of London with the instruction to write a short story. I basically wrote out the lyrics to Smithers Jones with some joining up narrative and it must have come across as brilliantly imaginative creative writing for a 15 year old...!!!

My favourite Jam songs are Burning Sky and Pretty Green.

Saturday Kids and Private Hell, both of "Setting Son's" I believe.

Saw Weller live at the Centre, 1995 I believe and he played like a man who enjoyed his job - good gig and a rock legend IMHO.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Great band, and I can't understand how Paul Weller went from being so good to sooo sh*t so quickly. I can't stand any of his solo stuff, he just turned into the most rockist boring artist overnight. And it does matter about sending his kids to public school, because it makes him a Grade 1 hypocrite. But, The Jam were superb...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Saturday Kids and Private Hell, both of "Setting Son's" I believe.

Saw Weller live at the Centre, 1995 I believe and he played like a man who enjoyed his job - good gig and a rock legend IMHO.

Was that when he was supported by Gabriel? I nearly got into a fight because i called her shit and questioned Wellers thinking for a support act. Someone took huge offence and nearly kicked off.

Fantastic gig though, I say him at the Albert Hall around that time too. One of the best gigs i have ever seen. Wish i had seen The Jam though.

Favourite song.... As it constantly spirals and changes I am going to go for Tales From the Riverbank as I have not seen it mentioned yet.

Special mention....Because I hate you and your wife.....and if I get the chance i'll f*** UP YOUR LIFE.......Mr Clean. Ha ha Even typing it sends shivers down my spine, what a song writer!!!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Moshe : how are things in your little world ? i hope they're going well and you are too !
:) all good...! no meetings with any heads of big corporates but I am looking forward to the West Ham game...

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Felt I had to contribute on this one; as my username suggests, I'm a bit of a fan. So many pivotal moments in my life have been based around The Jam - first time I got drunk [ferry back from Brussels gig April '82], first kiss [not shag though], so many great friendships, and still get a tingle down the spine when 'Burning Sky' breaks into life after the line 'How are things in your little world . . .'

Perhaps controversial, but I genuinely can't understand how The Clash are deemed to be the seminal punk/new wave group? Each to their own I suppose.

This is top of my playlist at the moment - although it'll change next week

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Everything on Sound Affects (a great album) and others like tube station etc

wag chaser

Feb 18, 2009
Brilliant thread. I was fortunate enough to see the Jam live 14 times.
I can never forget the pre-gig excitement.Getting to the venue as early
as possible just on the off chance of catching a glimpse of the guys or
better still getting into the sound check.
Did manage to get in for 2 sound checks,once at Brighton and the other
at the now demolished Crawley leisure centre.
Both surreal moments,almost like having your own personal concert.
As the time got closer for the concert to begin the excitement grew and grew
until finally The Jam bounded on stage and the next 2 hours would be over
in what seemed like a matter of minutes.
Eventually you would emerge into the cool night air absolutely drenched in sweat
and your throat so hoarse from singing/screaming every lyric from every song.
In my own personal opinion no other group has come close to replicating those nights.
As for favourite song it is impossible to say( too many to mention )
Favourite lyric though is from strange town
" I look in the mirror but I cant be seen
just a thin clean layer of mr sheen looking back at me "
Classic

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Brilliant thread. I was fortunate enough to see the Jam live 14 times.
I can never forget the pre-gig excitement.Getting to the venue as early
as possible just on the off chance of catching a glimpse of the guys or
better still getting into the sound check.
Did manage to get in for 2 sound checks,once at Brighton and the other
at the now demolished Crawley leisure centre.
Both surreal moments,almost like having your own personal concert.
As the time got closer for the concert to begin the excitement grew and grew
until finally The Jam bounded on stage and the next 2 hours would be over
in what seemed like a matter of minutes.
Eventually you would emerge into the cool night air absolutely drenched in sweat
and your throat so hoarse from singing/screaming every lyric from every song.
In my own personal opinion no other group has come close to replicating those nights.
As for favourite song it is impossible to say( too many to mention )
Favourite lyric though is from strange town
" I look in the mirror but I cant be seen
just a thin clean layer of mr sheen looking back at me "
Classic

i was just too young to see them, you paint a great picture of what its like...
its a shame they were pre dvd so no real great live sets of theirs can be seen....some great bootleg cd's though....
MY FAVOURITE SONG TODAY IS SATURDAYS KIDS....
"stains on the seats........in the back of course" classic

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
PS - if you are looking for any recordings of the last Jam tour - stear clear of any Brighton Centre bootlegs, the quality is awful! There's some bootlegs of the last Wembley gigs that are brilliant. One in particular called "going, going, gone" is quality. Sure you can pick it up on flea - bay! Will gladly swap for a Brighton Centre '82 ticket?!!

ive got one on tape for one of the wembley gigs...when weller walks on & says "i do so like these club gigs"...
then into start.....
from the final concert the final song the gift sounded great with the brass section if i remember right from my old cassette....
must dig them out one day....

any live dvd's you know of apart from rockpalast & tv concerts??

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
nice one Loco... Smithers Jones will always have a very special place in my affections as it is responsible for the only "A" grade I have ever got in an exam...!!

My O Level Endlish Language paper had as it's main question a photo of the City of London with the instruction to write a short story. I basically wrote out the lyrics to Smithers Jones with some joining up narrative and it must have come across as brilliantly imaginative creative writing for a 15 year old...!!!

My favourite Jam songs are Burning Sky and Pretty Green.
Burning Sky!! Cracker. Setting sons - all good

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

but saturdays boys, eton rifles, tube station, butterfly collector arent far behind
and as i am feeling homesick today a special mention to english rose

"No matter where I roam
I will return to my English rose
For no bonds can ever tempt me from she
I've sailed the seven seas,
Flown the whole blue sky.
But I've returned with haste to where my
Love does lie.
No matter where I go I will come back to my English Rose
For nothing, "could" ever "tempt" me from she.
I've searched the secret mists -
I've climbed the highest peaks
Caught the wild wind home
To hear her soft voice speak
No matter where I roam"

--------------

favourite line...

English Rose, daughters middle name, 1st song at wedding, played at great friends funeral & now adopted by English Tourist Board...all over 20 years after release date

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Awesome band, lucky enough to see them twice - at Brighton Centre (not the final one though) and Crawley Leisure Centre. So many awesome tracks it's impossible to pick out a favourite but my top ones are Down in the Tube Station (i remember learning the words to this off-by-heart to sing at the gigs), Away from the Numbers, The Modern World, News of the World (so appropriate when you consider what happened to that paper), Smithers-Jones, Mr Clean, English Rose, Pretty Green, Thick as Thieves, When You're Young and Boy About Town.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Away from the Numbers, The Modern World, News of the World, Smithers-Jones, Mr Clean, English Rose, Pretty Green, Thick as Thieves, When You're Young and Boy About Town.

This thread has cheered me up tonight. That is a great list - love Boy About Town.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I think they met up again when Bruce's wife was very ill & passed away i beleve, then on meeting again Foxton played on a couple of tracks on the last weller album...
Bruce also played with Weller at Albert hall, when Weller introduces him on stage its a goosebump moment...its on youtube...he plays eton rifles...
Foxton & Buckler were both playing in "from the jam" a tribute band to themselves (bit weird) but saw them a few times as a mate of a mate is the front man
(Russell Hastings from Bognor) bur Rick Buckler left ther band without giving a reason or telling them to their face...he apparantly just sent an email...
as i was too young to see the real Jam to see Buckler with the sticks playing to Foxton's thumping bass was still pretty special...
I caught Rick's drumstick at end of one gig in Chichester, it was a great gig, neville Staple of the specials supported them...

I believe that Buckler threw his toys out the pram because Foxton was working with Weller again.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Favourite changes on a daily basis, but at present I would have to say Tales from the riverbank.

Best memory would probaly be the 'solid bond in your heart' gig at Brighton centre in Sept 1982. The final gig was one of those where you had to be there, but the gig itself was a let down. Weller had obviously had enough by then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here