Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jam

Was that when he was supported by Gabriel? I nearly got into a fight because i called her shit and questioned Wellers thinking for a support act. Someone took huge offence and nearly kicked off.

Fantastic gig though, I say him at the Albert Hall around that time too. One of the best gigs i have ever seen. Wish i had seen The Jam though.

Favourite song.... As it constantly spirals and changes I am going to go for Tales From the Riverbank as I have not seen it mentioned yet.

Special mention....Because I hate you and your wife.....and if I get the chance i'll f*** UP YOUR LIFE.......Mr Clean. Ha ha Even typing it sends shivers down my spine, what a song writer!!!!!

Gabrielle I think you mean. I concur, she was crap. I recall her image was supposed to be uber cool with the eye patch, live she came over as giggly and nervy and made the very bad error of saying to the audience "I expect you would all rather be watching Paul Weller".

Her full name is Louisa Gabrielle Bobb according to Wikipedia.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
I believe that Buckler threw his toys out the pram because Foxton was working with Weller again.

my mate did the artwork for the first "from the jam" cd he is mates with Russell hastings.
When Bruce & Rick were in the office, it was all about the money...understandable i guess...
i did meet rick before a small gig they were doing in bognor for the local scooter club....nice fella & was very patient as everyone wants something
signed or wants to talk about the old days....

Dandyman

In London village.
Very much the band for those of us now in our late 40s and 50s.

Saw them in London when they did the farewell gig and in Brighton several times ( I think I still have Buckler's drumstick from 1978).

Hard to choose one song but - That's Entertainment, In the City, Going Underground, Down in the Tube Station at Midnight, are all part of the soundtrack of my teens.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Great band, and I can't understand how Paul Weller went from being so good to sooo sh*t so quickly. I can't stand any of his solo stuff, he just turned into the most rockist boring artist overnight. And it does matter about sending his kids to public school, because it makes him a Grade 1 hypocrite. But, The Jam were superb...

Really? each to their own I know, but some of Weller's solo stuff is as good as The Jam stuff. Tracks like Peacock Suit, From the floorboards up and come on lets go, to me sound very much like The Jam stuff. But I like 99% of anything he has done. It took me until quite recently to appreciate The Style Council stuff, but I like some of that too now.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Carnation, Town called Malice, Five o clock hero, Ghosts...

At their peak and the best time to move on..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They played at Woking Ex Services Club and were booked for 4 Sundays after bingo. During the 1st week their record Eton Rifles , I think it was entered the charts. The committee had complaints from the old girls after the bingo and had an emergency committee meeting and agreed to pay them up and cancel their future appearances. What would the club have earnt in the next 3 appearrances.

Paul Wellers dad played snooker at Woking Conservative club and got a friend who played in pubs, Nicky Papas to teach Paul the basic guitar cords, when he was a lad. How he has progessed since that day. He is also a very polite unassuming man.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Was lucky to see them the last time they ever played

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Was lucky to see them the last time they ever played

yes you are! I was only 11 so little young for ther gig, im very jealous though! This was only time Rick walked to front of stage for them all to take the adulation when it was all over. Ive got the final gig on audio tape but not the same. Although i remember last time i heard it its the best version of the gift I have ever heard.

My fave track at moment is saturdays kids :guitar:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Friend of mine joined the queue for Jams last concert thinking he was queing for James Last tickets. Should have gone to Specsaver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here