Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The iPad. What a load of garbage.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
While on the Ipad topic, has anybody purchased the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit?
Are you able to load four or five mp4 films onto a card or USB stick and as long as you save them correctly simply plug in to the Ipad and hay presto !
Does this work has anybody done it?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I bought myself a Kindle Fire which has been available in the States for a while. It’s not as big as the iPad (which doesn’t bother me) but this great little gizmo does pretty much what the iPad does at less than half the price ($199). It obviously isn’t going to take over from iPad but Amazon is starting to make a dent in their sales. Not sure when it will be available in the UK.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
On the subject of browsers, yes - I think Google have somewhat nailed it. Internet Explorer has always been a pile of crap.

I do have one single company preference. Google for searches. No-one else comes near and frighteningly no-one else will probably ever come near, for years and years at least.

Anyone who knows how search engines work will know it's all about the indexing and the algorithms and they LEARN. Unfortunately / Fortunately, Google got there years ago so if anyone is going to seriously compete we won't see the results for years. All the time, Google gets better.

Sad in many respects, but from a technical point of you have to give them respect. They are better in doing what they do, a millions times better than Apple are than Microsoft in terms of usability.

Can you get chrome to work on the iphone

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
While on the Ipad topic, has anybody purchased the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit?
Are you able to load four or five mp4 films onto a card or USB stick and as long as you save them correctly simply plug in to the Ipad and hay presto !
Does this work has anybody done it?
Yes you have to rename the files and have them in a DCIM folder [DCS_0001] and so on just the same as JPEG files.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Easier just to use dropbox, as long as you have Internet access...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The idea that everyone who likes the iPad is devoted to Apple is nonsense. Personally, I'm not that keen on the idea of one company being so dominant, it annoys me that they bring out tweaked 'new' products so frequently and being forced to upgrade to Lion to use iCloud hacked me off mightily.

The problem is they've made the best computers I've ever had (ones that have always just worked and last for years without slowing down to a crawl) and by far the most useful, in fact life-changing, phone. The iPad is equally slick and enjoyable to use so I'd take a lot of persuading now to move back to Microsoft, especially as the work PCs I use at various places all seem to be as unreliable and frustrating as ever.

Wickerman

Aug 24, 2011
Horam
I have an iPad 2 and would never do without it. I also have a Macboook Pro which I use for music production. I also use a work PC with windows and have a windows PC at home too. Without exception, the Apple stuff is far superior. Smoother operation and virtually no viruses or malware. It just works!!! Not so sure about the latest ipad as it doesn't have enough extrta stuff over and above the iPad 2 to warrant an upgrade. As for iPad apps.....if you can't find something that is useful to you then you should be a Palace fan!!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know what I wanted it for. Decent internet usage and general media consumption. Despite the reviews and brainwashed opinion of my peers It doesnt do that well. Websites dont work on safari, the interface is very clumsy, it doesnt integrate with anything non apple. Getting my films on it is a pain. I didnt say useless i said UNDERWHELMING. From my experience android stuff is much better. Basic laptops are MUCH better. I tried a product and im telling it how it is. My wife and my kids will use it so thats fine. They dont know any better. I Wanted to try Apple based on all of the hype. My point being that Apple have pulled off one of the biggest con jobs in modern history. People queue outside shops for days to buy this shit. That is HILARIO.

Stop using SAFARI.

It's like getting a PC, and using WordPad rather than MS Word, then wondering why it doesn't quite look right, then writing off the WHOLE PC because you're not using it right.

I'm sorry but that chap got it right, it is like "FIFA 12 is rubbish because I'M shit at it."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Because of this thread I actually picked up my iPad for the first time in yonks. I'd kinda forgotten how great it is although, being 1st generation, it is slightly slow now and again.

So I'd like to thank [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] for prompting me and Apple would probably also like to thank him when I upgrade to 'new iPad'.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
But having flash on a phone is a waste of time now - Adobe are ending it and all phones will lose it.

They are dropping it because its unreliable and its performance is crap

Apple and Jobs knew that so didn't put it on the Ipad because of that.

If thats true It show how far apple is ahead of the windows world

Looking at this post you just have to bow down to apple marketing.

99% of video on the web is powered by flash. As are millions of other interactive sites. Flash and actionscript have been great tools for web developers for years and any self respecting browser should have extensive support.

Despite all this they have managed to convince some people that they don't want to see the majority of the media available online because 'flash is crap' and itll be gone in 5 years anyway. Its actually a phenomenal thing they have managed to achieve.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Because of this thread I actually picked up my iPad for the first time in yonks. I'd kinda forgotten how great it is although, being 1st generation, it is slightly slow now and again.

So I'd like to thank [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] for prompting me and Apple would probably also like to thank him when I upgrade to 'new iPad'.

I was using my 1st GEn IPad and found it was getting largely ignored and I was using the MBP even for just basic surfing but one I get the new iPad I have re-discovered my love for it again. You'd be amazed at the performance increase going fromt eh 1st Gen to the 3rd Gen.

I love my iPad and the functionality it offers me.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Looking at this post you just have to bow down to apple marketing.

99% of video on the web is powered by flash. As are millions of other interactive sites. Flash and actionscript have been great tools for web developers for years and any self respecting browser should have extensive support.

Despite all this they have managed to convince some people that they don't want to see the majority of the media available online because 'flash is crap' and itll be gone in 5 years anyway. Its actually a phenomenal thing they have managed to achieve.

Sorry but you have this completely wrong.

Its got nothing to do with marketing but everything to do with technology and flexibility.

The fax machine is great, when it came out it revolutionised messaging and destroyed the telex machine. My fax machine is great, works every time, millions of other people have them and people and businesses have used them for years but its going to be dead because something better faster and smaller came out.

The same can be said for Pagers (remember them!) and for existing desktop PC's - Its just technology moving forward and leaving backward technology behind!

You are blaming Apple for thinking ahead and being better at it than most and realising that something better is out there

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Not sure I can link images properly here, but I'll have a go. I know people will have seen this before, but not enough, apparently!

tablets-before-and-after-ipad.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd imagine you could have a similar picture of pre iPhone and post iPhone as well

Yup. Whether you like Apple or not, they've done more than any company to kick other tech companies arses into gear trying to keep up.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Stop using SAFARI.

It's like getting a PC, and using WordPad rather than MS Word, then wondering why it doesn't quite look right, then writing off the WHOLE PC because you're not using it right.

I'm sorry but that chap got it right, it is like "FIFA 12 is rubbish because I'M shit at it."

Will using a different browser from Safari make streaming content on many websites work then? I'm daft because the default software on the ipad, which most people use from what I can tell is rubbish? :lol: Can I install Chrome? :lol:

I feel completely mugged off. After listening to everyone bang on about how good the iPad is I finally took the plunge. One month later I now feel totally ripped off. £400 for a substandard Internet tool and storage device. Wow a lot of people are living in Emperors clothes land with this piece of kit. Went to watch seagulls player, oh can't do that,went to download some torrents, oh can't do that, just went to watch the golf on the BBC site, ARGGHhh, can't f***ing do that either. But it's ok there are a million apps you can buy that do shit that you never knew you'd ever want and I've already got them on my smartphone. Oh and it turns on quickly. Apple, I'm sorry, I tried, but my suspicions are correct, you have conned the masses. Why on earth would anyone want one of these over a decent laptop?

soooo:

1. You couldn't work out why you couldn't watch the seagulls player, so you gave up and said it was pants.

2. you couldn't steal things of the internet and commit a crime so its pants.

3. You couldn't watch the golf, yet knew of apps, and couldn't be bothered to look for this: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bbc-iplayer/id416580485?mt=8 So it is pants.

4. More people have said they enjoyed them than have said otherwise. Methinks it is you and not Apple?

Apple products are designed to be idiot proof...
Find me a decent laptop that small and that powerful for about £400!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here