Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The iPad. What a load of garbage.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
soooo:

1. You couldn't work out why you couldn't watch the seagulls player, so you gave up and said it was pants.

2. you couldn't steal things of the internet and commit a crime so its pants.

3. You couldn't watch the golf, yet knew of apps, and couldn't be bothered to look for this: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bbc-iplayer/id416580485?mt=8 So it is pants.

4. More people have said they enjoyed them than have said otherwise. Methinks it is you and not Apple?

Apple products are designed to be idiot proof...
Find me a decent laptop that small and that powerful for about £400!

1. The only solution is to pay more money. Hmmm.
2. Torrents arent only for stealing things you know!!!!!
3. Fair enough.
4. See Apple marketing con, people dont realise that they are paying too much money for an UNDERWHELMING experience considering the HYPE. They would get more for their money if they took off the Apple tinted specs. You are clearly in this camp.
5. Next.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Sorry but you have this completely wrong.

Its got nothing to do with marketing but everything to do with technology and flexibility.

The fax machine is great, when it came out it revolutionised messaging and destroyed the telex machine. My fax machine is great, works every time, millions of other people have them and people and businesses have used them for years but its going to be dead because something better faster and smaller came out.

The same can be said for Pagers (remember them!) and for existing desktop PC's - Its just technology moving forward and leaving backward technology behind!

You are blaming Apple for thinking ahead and being better at it than most and realising that something better is out there

Just No.

You are buying a device that doesn't support current technology on the promise that the current technology is on its way out. How is that flexible? most browsers manage to support current and previous languages with no problems so its also technologically inferior.

It gets even more ridiculous when you consider that your ipad has a massively shorter lifespan than flash has left. So your buying a device on the promise that itll be up to date when the net moves on...but once the net has moved on your ipad will be about 5 generations old :clap:

Im not blaming apple for anything i am congratulating them on putting a positive spin on things and managing to convince so many people.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It gets even more ridiculous when you consider that your ipad has a massively shorter lifespan than flash has left. So your buying a device on the promise that itll be up to date when the net moves on...but once the net has moved on your ipad will be about 5 generations old :clap:

:lol: You couldnt make it up really. People lap this shit up, lets go and queue for a few days for the next instalment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just No.

You are buying a device that doesn't support current technology on the promise that the current technology is on its way out. How is that flexible? most browsers manage to support current and previous languages with no problems so its also technologically inferior.

Im not blaming apple for anything i am congratulating them on putting a positive spin on things and managing to convince so many people.

I'm sorry but the nail in the coffin of Adobe Flash is a massive positive for all mobile devices connecting to the internet. Flash is a ram hungry processor sapping piece of software that Adobe failed to develop quickly enough after purchasing Macromedia in 2005. Even Adobe has put more funding into HTML5 development than it has Flash.

Flash 10.1 for Android 2.2 is still in beta testing and even then is being criticised for heavily bogging down the internet - which is why Apple dropped it from mobile devices in the first place. Whether Android or iOS, I don't think Flash would make a massive impact on my choice of device. For most content such as SkyGo, games etc. you can download free apps anyway that have been specifically developed for the device - the content browsing is therefore irrelevant in a lot of cases for all devices anyway.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sorry but the nail in the coffin of Adobe Flash is a massive positive for all mobile devices connecting to the internet. Flash is a ram hungry processor sapping piece of software that Adobe failed to develop quickly enough after purchasing Macromedia in 2005. Even Adobe has put more funding into HTML5 development than it has Flash.

Flash 10.1 for Android 2.2 is still in beta testing and even then is being criticised for heavily bogging down the internet - which is why Apple dropped it from mobile devices in the first place. Whether Android or iOS, I don't think Flash would make a massive impact on my choice of device. For most content such as SkyGo, games etc. you can download free apps anyway that have been specifically developed for the device - the content browsing is therefore irrelevant in a lot of cases for all devices anyway.

I am not a supporter of flash but my point is this...HTML5 is coming anyway, by your own admission, and that has nothing whatsoever to do with apple.

Apple not supporting flash is not some kind of revolutionary thinking or altruistic move for the good of mankind or the world. Apple users gain NOTHING from this stance. All it does it stop their users from accessing huge swathes of content on the internet and they have managed to convince people that this is A GOOD THING!

Take a Bow Apple. Its Genius.

edit to add i wonder if there wasn't so many sites using flash player to stream illegal movies and other content that they would prefer to sell you through their store if their stance would be the same.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
In the midst of all this crossness and controversy, a simple question asked with no agenda at all.

I'm going to be away (a long way away) for three weeks in the autumn and need to keep in touch with requests coming into my small business, 99 per cent of which are made by email. I would be requesting someone back in England to carry out the required work on Apple Macs. At the moment I have nothing more than a not-Smartphone.

My choice seems to be between:

Smartphone. Cheap, would be useful when I got home. But not ideal for sending emails and I am not planning on any telephone conversations.

Laptop. Would allow me to do the work myself but that wouldn't always be good when on holiday. I have no need for a laptop afterwards, when back in England - although perhaps it would be useful when and if the desktops go down.

iPad. Disadvantages stated here but might be perfect email terminal, especially with added keyboard. I think it could be useful for same reasons when back in England but am not sure. Could I use it as a jukebox for a sound system at home? And satnav capabilities?

Does anyone have any views? I'd appreciate thoughts of those who know more about this than I do.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am not a supporter of flash but my point is this...HTML5 is coming anyway, by your own admission, and that has nothing whatsoever to do with apple.

Apple not supporting flash is not some kind of revolutionary thinking or altruistic move for the good of mankind or the world. Apple users gain NOTHING from this stance. All it does it stop their users from accessing huge swathes of content on the internet and they have managed to convince people that this is A GOOD THING!

edit to add i wonder if there wasn't so many sites using flash player to stream illegal movies and other content that they would prefer to sell you through their store if their stance would be the same.

Not sure where I said Apple were being revolutionary? They just took the decision in the development of their own software that their product would work better without having to support Flash. There is no real mystery to this, and clearly given Adobe announcing they too were going to develop HTLM5 for mobile instead of their own Flash, Apple have been vindicated in that decision. http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

It's no great surprise then that Google Chrome for Android doesn't support Flash either....

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

People arguing against this has lost the plot in my view. I find the no flash element of Apple a right pain the arse when I used my missus iphone and was the reason I bought a Samsung (Well, as well as having fat fingers and liking the size of the Galaxy note). The way apple spun this was brilliant - as they do a lot of things.

Anyway, I'm sure when I was a kid people weren't so up thier own arses whether a Sony Walkman was better than a Goodmans.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Not sure where I said Apple were being revolutionary? They just took the decision in the development of their own software that their product would work better without having to support Flash. There is no real mystery to this, and clearly given Adobe announcing they too were going to develop HTLM5 for mobile instead of their own Flash, Apple have been vindicated in that decision. http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

It's no great surprise then that Google Chrome for Android doesn't support Flash either....

You didnt but you jumped in on an discussion supporting the guys who have intimated that. I actually have no problem with the ipad but i have a problem with people thinking that apples refusal to support flash is somehow for the benefit of their users. Its just not. No matter how you spin it, and therefore i was applauding their advertising.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry but you have this completely wrong.

Its got nothing to do with marketing but everything to do with technology and flexibility.
You are blaming Apple for thinking ahead and being better at it than most and realising that something better is out there

no, im afriad you are wrong. you are claiming Apple acted with foresight, they only acted in their own interests. you are ignoring the time line of events and, above all, believing wholesale the Apple official version. yes, Flash is poor, but we all know they didnt support it so that app store would work. Flash based apps would have circumvented the entire business model. Apple created a walled garden and said you have to use our gateway and use only the tools and facilities we allow through the gateway. Flash dieing (despite being ubiquitous on the web) has come about quite seperately. Adobe could have decided to continue with it and refine it and resolve the issues. Apple were not to know this wouldnt happen.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I enjoy playing with my mates, but I would not spend money on one. I have an Iphone, and a laptop why the f*** would I need an ipad.

Likewise ..but an iPad as well....and actually use it more thn my macbk ....and no regrets.....there does seem a lov hate thing re apple tht has spread to ths thread...I wudnt queue for one ..but on the other hand no ones saying you have to buy one....don't like it ..then don't buy it..quite simple really

Off out now..apparently there's an important match on tonight

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I feel completely mugged off. After listening to everyone bang on about how good the iPad is I finally took the plunge. One month later I now feel totally ripped off. £400 for a substandard Internet tool and storage device. Wow a lot of people are living in Emperors clothes land with this piece of kit. Went to watch seagulls player, oh can't do that,went to download some torrents, oh can't do that, just went to watch the golf on the BBC site, ARGGHhh, can't f***ing do that either. But it's ok there are a million apps you can buy that do shit that you never knew you'd ever want and I've already got them on my smartphone. Oh and it turns on quickly. Apple, I'm sorry, I tried, but my suspicions are correct, you have conned the masses. Why on earth would anyone want one of these over a decent laptop?

Just, wow. I bet you're the sort of person that would buy an MX5 and complain about the lack of 4x4 and seats...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Just, wow. I bet you're the sort of person that would buy an MX5 and complain about the lack of 4x4 and seats...

Just, wow. Did it take you long to come up with such an intelligently considered comparitor? I am the sort of person who if the MX5 was hyped as being great at handling and did 0-60 in 8 seconds, brought one, and then actually found it was sluggish to drive and slow would complain. You see what I did there? Actually made it a realistic comparison. You could do that too if you thought about it a little bit longer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here