Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Since this thread is here though, it's probably correct right place for this post I made the other day in one of the T20 match threads

Two amusingly contrasting perspectives on the Hundred, from:

George Dobell:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...asons-why-the-ecb-has-failed-the-game-1269911

and Ebony Rainford-Brent:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...cricket-in-england?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Possibly worth mentioning that Rainford-Brent will be commentating on matches for Sky Sprts at this point.

Did I say amusing? That's not right, I meant ****ing hair-tearingly infuriating.
:rant: :censored: :angry: :angry: :angry: :rant:

For, I don't know, cataloguing purposes :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Since this thread is here though, it's probably correct right place for this post I made the other day in one of the T20 match threads

For, I don't know, cataloguing purposes :shrug:

Everywhere I look online there is an advert for this farce. The absolute fortune they've spent promoting this sham could have been so much better spent elsewhere.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Everywhere I look online there is an advert for this farce. The absolute fortune they've spent promoting this sham could have been so much better spent elsewhere.

Apart from the adverts telling me it's called The Hundred and showing cricketers, they have told me nothing whatsoever about what it is (apart from cricket). I only watch a bit of cricket if it involves Sussex men first team in a limited overs competition and it takes my interest. Unfortunately the adverts are just a bit of colour and noise with no detail, so I'm out (just realised that's a cricket joke)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The bowling attack is pure Sussex, however...

Well they've played for Sussex, but in this context they're not Sussex, they belong to someone else. It's a bit like when Bobby Zamora got transferred. To a lot of us he was still 'Our Bobby' and we kept half an eye on his career and were pleased when he did well. But we didn't support the teams he played for, and we probably didn't even bother watching their matches. I feel like that about the Berkshire Braves or whoever it is Crodo is supporting.

That Cricinfo article is superb.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
With a bit of luck, a few more marquee players will drop out, it'll get scrapped for another year, and eventually the ECB will just give up on it.

The problem is the ECB has gambled all their money on it.

Anyway, looking forward to watching some good cricket the end of this week. By this I mean Sussex in the 50 over cup

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'm going next Friday, Southern Brave v Birmingham something or other. Don't judge me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I gave up on this after hearing Hussain saying 20/20 games were too long and not easy to understand. Get ready for after first game all commentators,players and all at ECB saying how fantastic it was and just what cricket needed

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm going next Friday, Southern Brave v Birmingham something or other. Don't judge me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Birmingham Phoenix, glad it's a home game for us as the atmosphere at Edgbaston for Phoenix home games is likely to be something else.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Surely you want it cancelled?

No, it should be played behind closed doors or with strict limits on capacity, and the teams operating within bubbles like last summer, but that horse has bolted now until Autumn when football takes the brunt of capacity limits after the government let the situation again get out of control. Enjoy it while you can.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Was offered a ticket for Thursday but feel this is the last thing cricket needs. Not getting onboard with this.

County cricket should be cherished not diluted. Would much rather watch Sussex.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Could they have come up with a more uninspired set of team names? People got paid for coming up with ‘Invincibles’ ‘Spirit’ ‘Phoenix’ ‘Rockets’ ??? Southern Pollution would be more topical than ‘Southern Brave’ based on recent sewage happenings and that god awful green kit could have instead been a nice faecal sludge brown maybe, the club crest a chocolate log.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I think there is a degree of cricket snobbery in some of the anti Hundred musings. I adore cricket and for me a day at a test match is hard to beat. My 9 yo son has caught the bug and thinks it’s the best sport in the world! Took him to the England v Pakistan game trent bridge on Friday and he said it was one of the best nights of his life! We have tickets for the finals day @ Lords and he is telling anyone that listens. If different forms of the game can hook youngsters into the sport it has to be good for the long time health of the sport??

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I still don't see why they couldn't have used the marketing budget on the T20 format, rather than come with yet another limited over version. It's only twenty balls per innings less, so it's not as if T20 was a timeless Test by comparison.

Does anyone here really care about a Southampton based franchise? It's as if when we played at Gillingham, we were rebranded as the "BH Dons".

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I think there is a degree of cricket snobbery in some of the anti Hundred musings. I adore cricket and for me a day at a test match is hard to beat. My 9 yo son has caught the bug and thinks it’s the best sport in the world! Took him to the England v Pakistan game trent bridge on Friday and he said it was one of the best nights of his life! We have tickets for the finals day @ Lords and he is telling anyone that listens. If different forms of the game can hook youngsters into the sport it has to be good for the long time health of the sport??

There is a real problem with attracting people from all backgrounds to the game, unless they have the good fortune to have a parent who's into it (or in my case, my brother's dad was into it and my mum would push any reason to get me out of the house).

My issue with the Hundred is that it is actively removing the game from large swathes of the country, including Sussex, at the cost of millions of pounds that could have been spent on better advertising the game. If the issue is that nobody in the big cities feels connected to the county teams (not a claim bourne out by attendances at Surrey or the Roses matches) then there's nothing at all to stop those teams competing in the existing T20 competition under city names. Warwickshire already do compete as Birmingham in the Blast, I think as they were given some money by the city council.

Basically, it's a cack-handed solution to a range of problems that the ECB created themselves. I'm not bothered by how many balls are in an over or an innings, I am bothered by the serial gross incompetence and short-sighted greed that's got the game to this point.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I expect its not on Terrestrial TV is it ? If it is can someone tell me which channel so I don't make the mistake of turning it on accidently, cheers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here