Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

BBC sparing no expense with their quality coverage :lolol:
I wondered who he was...now I know why I didn't recognize him. Love Island contestant, but he is a cricket fan - Yep, that ticks all the boxes to become a TV presenter now. ffs.... 😩

I appeared on a SKY show quite a few years ago, and love the NFL...I wonder if they'll hire me to go and interview players at games if I ask nicely?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wondered who he was...now I know why I didn't recognize him. Love Island contestant, but he is a cricket fan - Yep, that ticks all the boxes to become a TV presenter now. ffs.... 😩

I appeared on a SKY show quite a few years ago, and love the NFL...I wonder if they'll hire me to go and interview players at games if I ask nicely?
He’s a presenter, not a pundit…

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I wondered who he was...now I know why I didn't recognize him. Love Island contestant, but he is a cricket fan? Yep, that ticks all the boxes to become a TV presenter now. ffs....

Well, the BBC now know what they get when they try and turn a love islander into a proper presenter.

Saying the sort of things to a professional sports person that he’d have muttered to some bimbo in a bikini on that wretched program is very poor indeed. Hopefully he won’t get away with it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In his defence he’s a nice lad, he’s only trying to earn a living, he didn’t ask them for the gig they asked him.

What’s he supposed to say? No 🤷‍♂️
I'm sure he's a lovely lad. He just shouldn't be presenting cricket coverage on the BBC. Yes, if he's offered the gig then why wouldn't he take it ?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hundred. Absolute shower of sheight. Will not be watching one single second of it. Hope it dies on its 4rse in its third and final season.
To be fair I shared your opinion, we got taken to Lords last night by clients, despite the weather when it finally got started I enjoyed it, my big issue still is as a Sussex lad, I feel almost disenfranchised, I don’t have a team to watch and support at Hove, so as nice as the evening was, I can’t get into the competition fully because I have no affinity like I have for the Sharks or the County side.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I get your point, but why wouldn't Sussex be one to go in your list ? If the numbers came down to ten, Sussex has no real case to be one of them with Hampshire and Surrey as their neighbours.

Potentially would be yes, I wouldn't want to judge how the ECB will go about weighing up the value of a strong geographical distribution against the desire to only have large franchises that can draw a crowd. You'd imagine they'll probably go nuts and cut it down to just the test grounds as they do with the hundred. I think that'd be a step too far myself not least because we would lose any cricket representation in the south west where I live these days.

Still though, I recognise there is a need for some consolidation. You'll note I've suggested reducing down to about 12 teams which leaves some room for a few of the smaller counties to remain where they represent distinct parts of the country which I would argue Sussex and Durham for example do.

If it was a choice between keeping Kent & Sussex for example I wouldn't personally understand why you'd pick Kent, based in Canterbury (population 55000) and nowhere near any other big towns over Sussex based in a conurbation of ~1 million people...

I really don't believe anyone with their eyes open would think that using the ECB's limited resources propping up first class test cricket teams in Canterbury, Northampton, Worcester, Derby, Chelmsford, Leicester and (I say it with a heavy heart) Taunton is a wise way to secure the future of cricket in this country. With the exception of probably Somerset there, you could shutter those 6 teams and essentially no one would notice, given how few people attend their matches.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In his defence he’s a nice lad, he’s only trying to earn a living, he didn’t ask them for the gig they asked him.

What’s he supposed to say? No 🤷‍♂️
Maybe he should have said that he’d like to do it but would like some media, etc training first, to be mentored by an experienced professional and then to be assessed as to whether he’s up to it.

In his defence, I support anything that contributes to the demise of the Hundred, so well done lad.

The BBC has completely lost its way with sport.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is purely based on me watching on TV, but so far this year the stadia seem to be looking very empty.
Yes. I've watched a little bit of the last two nights (purely on the basis that we're away, and there's nothing else on) and it was so noticeable that -- despite all the attempt to generate razzmatazz -- the atmosphere was absolutely dead ...
... compare that with The Ashes -- and I'm glad The Hundred is following on from The Ashes, because it enables rapid comparison.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Shame the game tonight rained off, was shaping up to be a good watch.

Simon 'Doully' Doull sats if you can't get excited about the Hundred then you're just not interested in cricket.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shame the game tonight rained off, was shaping up to be a good watch.

Simon 'Doully' Doull says if you can't get excited about the Hundred then you're just not interested in cricket. And then received his healthy pay cheque.
Corrected for you

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To be fair I shared your opinion, we got taken to Lords last night by clients, despite the weather when it finally got started I enjoyed it, my big issue still is as a Sussex lad, I feel almost disenfranchised, I don’t have a team to watch and support at Hove, so as nice as the evening was, I can’t get into the competition fully because I have no affinity like I have for the Sharks or the County side.
It's in-built into you being English. We don't do the Franchise thing. Sport is more about connection.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Yes. I've watched a little bit of the last two nights (purely on the basis that we're away, and there's nothing else on) and it was so noticeable that -- despite all the attempt to generate razzmatazz -- the atmosphere was absolutely dead ...
... compare that with The Ashes -- and I'm glad The Hundred is following on from The Ashes, because it enables rapid comparison.
The comparison with the Ashes is that The Hundred has zero tolerance on laddish and loutish behaviour to generate a truly family friendly inclusive environment. Audiences whilst not yet absolutely full, and despite the horrific weather have still been good, and as the tournament builds and hopefully we get some better conditions I think so too will the size of the audiences.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The comparison with the Ashes is that The Hundred has zero tolerance on laddish and loutish behaviour to generate a truly family friendly inclusive environment. Audiences whilst not yet absolutely full, and despite the horrific weather have still been good, and as the tournament builds and hopefully we get some better conditions I think so too will the size of the audiences.
You think there’ll be more at the final than a rainswept opening round game? Got the lottery numbers Crodo?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here