Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The 100 is an abomination. T20 free to air is the way to go.
The (quite legitimate, BTW) concern the BBC have is that T20 cricket has been getting longer and longer as a match. “Tactical” (commercial) breaks, interminable delays, DRS etc. to the point where just about every game at the World Cup earlier this summer ended up with a fielding side bringing in a fielder for going past the cutoff time. And it’s a global issue.

For Sky, who can keep going all night if they have to, that’s not a concern. For the BBC, who have to show certain things (e.g. news, weather) at certain times under their licence agreement, it is. This is ultimately why a shorter format than T20 emerged with a much more rigorous time-keeping element introduced.

T20 matches at the start used to go for 3-3.5 hours or so. Starts at half 6, all done by 10. That’s not the case anymore, indeed some IPL games can drag on for nearly 5 hours with all the shite they pack in.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It may well likely change soon as the ECB is selling 49% in all the franchises, the clubs who have the 51% can sell those too and allegedly theirs a lot of interested parties including the IPL teams who fancy a bit. Maybe they'll tinker with it, change a few things, but its not going anywhere soon, and why the f**k should it?

Dont get all the grumbling tbh, its like complaining about 7 aside beach football tournamount being an outrage to the football pyramid. They have nothing to do with each other.

I love my cricket, deffo a test purist, but enjoy the shorter formats too for what they are, and having been to a couple of the Trent Rockets games near me, I totally get it..... packed full of kids, very kiddie orientated and tailoring a product to a younger audience, who will hopefully be further drawn into a lifelong love of the game.

The Rockets chased down and beat the Oval Invincibles last week, was a great game, my lad loved it and even the Mrs does who doesnt really do sports.
Thats not to say Love Island will ever compare to the artistery of Gone with the Wind, but it doesnt need to or be compared.
As a “test purist” how would you feel if test cricket was marginalised by the Hundred as has happened with county cricket, the feeder to test cricket? How would you feel if 7-a-side beach football replaced EPL and EFL on a Saturday afternoon and on MoTD?

Ps - anything that encourages more people to watch and play cricket can only be good

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Interesting from Modi, who was head of the IPL at one point. That said, he does have an axe to grind. But probably a point as well.

The Hundred is looking for international appeal and isn't, well, appealing. As we know, India likes India- and Indians are banned from it. Even the U.S has its own league now. One issue, of course, is the time zones. Who's going to stay up to watch Southern Skips playing at midnight when they have to be at work the following day in Delhi ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here