Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Just watched the first hundred game. I have to say that I enjoyed the game.

Good quality cricket from both sides and the game was in the balance right to the end.

It didn't feel any different from a T20 match. Not sure I like the lack of overs.

My only problems with this format is I'm a life long sussex fan and sussex are not in the competition. I might be rooting for the Brave, but they are not my team.

Not sure the format adds anymore than the current T20.

This in every respect!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I completely get having a T20 (or even Hundred) tournament that has more sides in it, with crowds that can sustain it. But there’s simply not enough demand to sustain an 18 side four day cricket, and it’s also not high enough standard to adequately prepare test players

Really? The two division system got us to best in the world didn’t it? Obviously we have shifted focus to one day and t20 so our test team has struggled.

Did you see it last week when England picked 2nd/3rd string for county cricket and they hammered Pakistan at 50 overs?

Fifty overs is no longer a thing for players in the hundred. That World Cup victory was brilliant. The people watched cricket.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

Good quality cricket from both sides and the game was in the balance right to the end.

It didn't feel any different from a T20 match. Not sure I like the lack of overs.

My only problems with this format is I'm a life long sussex fan and sussex are not in the competition. I might be rooting for the Brave, but they are not my team.

Good summary. I only watched half an hour of it but can't see it failing if the best players are on board.

I want to support Sussex but obviously can't which is always going to be the biggest disappointment. I am technically nearer to the Oval lot than Hampshire which is a bit sad!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm in this horrible in between place after that.

Yes, I'm an Eeyore, but I do see its value to the women's game. It needs publicity. The BBC do well with this, and numbers are increasing. This competition may help.

But then I start to worry about the long format and even the 50 over stuff.

I'm torn.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm in this horrible in between place after that.

Yes, I'm an Eeyore, but I do see its value to the women's game. It needs publicity. The BBC do well with this, and numbers are increasing. This competition may help.

But then I start to worry about the long format and even the 50 over stuff.

I'm torn.

We had a pretty successful women's tournament. The ECB got rid off for some reason. Then used the lack of women's tournament as a reason for The Hundred

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I had a look at The Hundred tickets after that game. There is a huge queue at the portal.

That's what happens when you put cricket on terrestrial.

1.png

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I had a look at The Hundred tickets after that game. There is a huge queue at the portal.

That's what happens when you put cricket on terrestrial.

Quite.

I hope and expect it to be successful, simply because cricket always is when it's given the chance.

I'm just sad that something like this (putting domestic cricket on terrestrial tv at 6pm-9pm) wasn't done years ago, because there was never any good reason for it not to be.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A good game, but a shame that I didn't care who won or lost. Franchise A versus Franchise B.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Paul Hayward seems to be having a very unsubtle dig at the haters on Twitter. As we know his opinion is generally on the money!
Says something along the lines of don’t stand too close to the wall of hostility as it seems to be collapsing after one game!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I concur with all of this except the last sentence. T20 serves its purpose but what cricket is missing when televised from Hove, Taunton or Canterbury is that "big occasion" feel that you only get from a big stadium. I think that is what they are hoping will draw in a new crowd of followers to the game. It's been heavily advertised and my anecdotal experience above suggests that it might well work. It is already visible and being shown on terrestrial TV - two massive ticks as far as I'm concerned.

Ultimately, us Sussex fans might have to move away from the stubborn "the Braves aren't Sussex so I'm not interested" stance or we will be left behind. After all, cricket fans in Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire and Dorset might well wonder if we were actually ever cricket fans in the first place.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Paul Hayward seems to be having a very unsubtle dig at the haters on Twitter. As we know his opinion is generally on the money!
Says something along the lines of don’t stand too close to the wall of hostility as it seems to be collapsing after one game!

Mostly based on people at the oval enjoying themselves. I imagine that's where all "the haters" are.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
It's a shame our T20 was dying on its arse
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49797557

Great, but reading between the lines, sales soared in 2019 to give 950,000 fans at 133 games – that's 7,143 fans at each game on average. And that is sales soaring with record receipts for some counties.

Put in context with IPL, PSL, BB, their attendances, their TV rights etc. T20 in this country is not only behind, it's been lapped twice.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great, but reading between the lines, sales soared in 2019 to give 950,000 fans at 133 games – that's 7,143 fans at each game on average. And that is sales soaring with record receipts for some counties.

Put in context with IPL, PSL, BB, their attendances, their TV rights etc. T20 in this country is not only behind, it's been lapped twice.

As I say, T20 has done it's job (it's a hugely important revenue stream for counties) but The Hundred is going to be far better at attracting new cricket fans, IMO: big crowds at the biggest cricket stadiums, all the glitz, the best players and all on terrestrial television.

I wasn't sold on it I have to admit, but it deserves a chance. Just because Sussex aren't represented is no reason to boycott it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here