The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Immediately?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I think you will find that problems with numbers is called dyscalculia, not dyslexia.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If you were to add all your supermarket receipts for the last year for instance. With the mistakes made at the till, that you don't notice because you probably don't check your receipts like most people, I bet that they owe you money. Does the supermarket come knocking on your door when they find a discrepancy? That's the way I rationalise it. :dunce:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I really wouldn't worry about getting an extra £7.14 from Sainsburys. But if you do and are worried about the risking the boy's job, then donate it to charity.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You are saving the poor sod from a lifetimes slavery. He should be thanking you and offering up his first born in gratitude so he can live the rest of his life in freedom and democracy.

sparticus.jpg

Nobody has a career on a supermarket checkout. In a few years it will all be self service tills anyway, so you are doing him a favour.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure why you're even thinking about it.

You haven't done anything wrong, and it's a simple human error by the cashier. I doubt he'd even get a bollocking for it, as it's only a few quid. Even supermarkets recognise that people make mistakes.

That said, when I first started my current job, one of the guys on my training course was mistakenly given a few quid extra change at a fast food joint. Not only did he not return it, but he then came back to the campus and loudly told all present what a result he'd had.

He was suspended the same day, and later fired. Hence on every occasion I've ever been given too much change since then, I've always pointed it out and given it back(assuming I've noticed at the time). Who says all coppers are bent? :lolol:

When I have a problem like this I tend to put myself in the other person's shoes and think what they might have done. If I had been the teenaged trainee I would probably have made good the shortfall from my own pocket on cashing up to save my job. So, you have his £7 which he might have needed to pay for the prescription for his dying mother's pain relief tablets. Feel like a barrel of fun now, do you? Well, do you, punk?
:laugh:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When I have a problem like this I tend to put myself in the other person's shoes and think what they might have done. If I had been the teenaged trainee I would probably have made good the shortfall from my own pocket on cashing up to save my job. So, you have his £7 which he might have needed to pay for the prescription for his dying mother's pain relief tablets. Feel like a barrel of fun now, do you? Well, do you, punk?
:laugh:
He should have paid attention during his maths lessons. Tough love is needed to teach these young deliquents what real life is about.
Its dog eat dog out there.:eek::eek::eek:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Keep it

If you return it it will cost you time, and possibly money (depending on how you get back to the supermarket) for something that they won't really notice is gone anyway, so it isn't really worth your while doing so for such a small amount, if it was much bigger, then i would say return it.

If it was the other way around and when yo0u got home to find you were short changed, is it likely you would be able to get the difference back?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like to see myself as an honest person.

I took a trip to Sainsbury's ... I was issued with the change consisting of ... the orignal subtotal).

The question is....

Would you return to put right this callous error?

It's my understanding that the floats are tallied, and the error will be picked up whether you highlight it or not.

Given he is a trainee, chances are they will accept it was a simple error.

However, by not returning you are risking him being looked at as possibly skimming, and that would perhaps be worse, they will keep an eye on him when he doesn't deserve it.

Personally, I like the charity suggestion from another poster, or use it to help someone.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bearing in mind that you will have to spend your time and money returning to the store I wouldn't bother as it's not your mistake. Had this been the other way round I would have no doubt that you would have a lot of trouble getting your money back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Simple solution. Next time you're in Sainsbury's go round all the Buy One Get One Free offers, and only pick up one item instead of two. Repeat until total of £13.47 is reached. Leave with clear conscience. Job done! :thumbsup:

I really wouldn't worry about getting an extra £7.14 from Sainsburys. But if you do and are worried about the risking the boy's job, then donate it to charity.

HOW would donating the money to charity detract from either worry, or risk of the lad's job?

It's a real world we live in Bof, if you think that the kids' job is important to him, then you might try finding him at the next time to shop there and point out his mistake. By now though, the till roll will already have indicated him to his employer.
What about the ramifications of having a slow/poorly trained kid on the till?
Well, the next mistake might cost a pensioner e.g.£45 from a changed fifty!
Better that this kid gets trained learning from mistakes, than the public learn a harsh lesson.
No doubt his training cost is passed onto the consumer, anyway, so the market won't lose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here