Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Football] The Harry Kane Problem

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Harry Kane problem is he wears Skechers football boots.

Did anyone else actually know that Skechers make football boots?
Should be the best player on that basis šŸ˜‚
Most comfortable trainers Iā€™ve ever owned, but then my mobility and Kaneā€™s have been similar of lateā€¦ā€¦

No I didnā€™t BTW, amazing spot

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sketchers were a low end of the market shoe when they started out, the equivalent of wearing a brand like Hi-Tech and a source of amusement and derision Stateside, but somehow they're seen as 'credible' footwear, even desirable, in the UK.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
What I find annoying about him is that he keeps occupying the space Jude operates in and negates the pair of them. If he played the 10 role< Jude next to Rice and Watkins up front we might stand half a chance.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sketchers were a low end of the market shoe when they started out, the equivalent of wearing a brand like Hi-Tech and a source of amusement and derision Stateside, but somehow they're seen as 'credible' footwear, even desirable, in the UK.
The Britney campaign.
Also, they are very, very comfortable shoes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Far more comfortable than the usual suspects.
Just a bit dour in design, not that it bothers me

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Same as the Jimmy Greaves 'problem' in 1966, except Ramsey got it right.
It was all Roger Huntā€™s fault.!

on Saturday Channel 4 showed the 1966 final in full in a colourised version. It was fascinating. Mrs DiS was amazed that there were no substitutions, that it was a time before yellow and red cards and no slow motion replays

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Last Euros final - one touch in the box

This Euros final - one touch in the box

Time to call an end to his international career
Whilst yes Kane isnā€™t at his best anymore he didnā€™t get any service none. If you donā€™t play to his strengths then whatā€™s the point playing him.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It was cowardly to start him after the impact Watkins had a few days ago.

Harry Kane is a fantastic poacher and overall good player but he's dependent on other people creating space for him. Saka and Foden are excellent players, but they don't really play that way. They want the ball, challenge a player and do something that way. Making random runs behind enemy defense isn't their thing - how often do you see Foden or Saka in 1on1 against the keeper?

But Kane is still playing as if Son (or MĆ¼ller) is going to make all those sacrificing runs for him. He probably needs that, and if Kane is really that much better than Watkins/Toney etc. that you should build tactics revolving around him... well, thats going to be a big one for Southgate or his replacement to make a call on. And the call shouldn't be made on whether Kane can score a goal or three against third world football nations like Ireland and Finland in September. Need a wider, more holistic view of the situation.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Kane is one of our greatest ever players. His goal stats speak for themself.

He had a poor tournament. He didn't look fit and was over played. Sometimes this happens when you're the captain. But I get why Southgate kept him on, he's decided 100s of close games with goals which nobody else would score. The gamble ultimately didn't work

But this was a poor tournament for Centre Forwards wasn't it? None of them scored loads. Morata, Ronaldo, Depay, Lukaku. All of them disappointed and struggled to affect matches. There's also a point about the tactical type of football being played when analysing Kane's performance

I hope Kane doesn't retire. I think he can add to his tally. But He certainly isn't an automatic starter any more. If he is happy to proceed on that basis then great

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The Harry Kane problem is he wears Skechers football boots.

Did anyone else actually know that Skechers make football boots?
You take boot advice from this guy, you deserve to lose.

Jamie.PNG

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Facts are heā€™s just won (along with five others it must be said) the golden boot for the tournament. The reality is he wasnā€™t fit and nowhere near his best.

Kane is not the problem, heā€™s one the best centre forwards in the world. Last season he was top scorer in the Champions League and Bundasliga. However if you donā€™t set up a team to play to his strengths it doesnā€™t work. He needs wide men feeding him, we played with Saka and literally no width at all on the left. He needs fast players around him, we didnā€™t pick any.

I guarantee whoever is the next manager starts Kane.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Iā€™ll take your word for it.

Before my time, which still makes me an NSC youngster.
Greaves would have played but got injured in the quarter final. Missed the semi. Was 'fit' for the final but Alf stuck with the ringer - one Geoff Hurst.

Greaves was pissy about it, and played only 3 more times for England (in 67) despite scoring another 107 more goals for Spurs over the following four seasons.

Not really he same as the Kane situation. Ironically if he had been put on the bench yesterday he would have taking it in good grace.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Greaves would have played but got injured in the quarter final. Missed the semi. Was 'fit' for the final but Alf stuck with the ringer - one Geoff Hurst.

Greaves was pissy about it, and played only 3 more times for England (in 67) despite scoring another 107 more goals for Spurs over the following four seasons.

Not really he same as the Kane situation. Ironically if he had been put on the bench yesterday he would have taking it in good grace.
I know it's a funny old game but sticking Jimmy Greaves' urn on the bench would be out there for De Zerbi, never mind Southgate.

:wink:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Really not keen on their sports trainer/ leisure wear range. Not only the lumpy looking usually white soles but also the laughable Redknapp advert which seems to suggest they've invented slip on trainers!

However, by contrast I had a pair of winter nubuck boots that lasted 10 years no sweat. Sadly the replacement pair have lasted only 2 years! :+

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Facts are heā€™s just won (along with five others it must be said) the golden boot for the tournament. The reality is he wasnā€™t fit and nowhere near his best.

Kane is not the problem, heā€™s one the best centre forwards in the world. Last season he was top scorer in the Champions League and Bundasliga. However if you donā€™t set up a team to play to his strengths it doesnā€™t work. He needs wide men feeding him, we played with Saka and literally no width at all on the left. He needs fast players around him, we didnā€™t pick any.

I guarantee whoever is the next manager starts Kane.
If fit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know it's a funny old game but sticking Jimmy Greaves' urn on the bench would be out there for De Zerbi, never mind Southgate.

:wink:
Foiled, by a careless pronoun.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's had 1 touch in the box in the two European Championship finals!!! 1 touch!!!

Not good enough. In the knockout stages of all the tournaments he's played in he's been shit. Every time he's apparently got an injury/is unfit. Get fitter then!!

His 66 England goals (22 penalties) have come against:

San Marino 5 Albania 4 Bulgaria 4 Germany 4 Malta 4 Montenegro 4 France 3 Italy 3 Panama 3 Ukraine 3 Czech Republic 2 Denmark 2 Kosovo 2 Lithuania 2 North Macedonia 2 Poland 2 Scotland 2 Switzerland 2 Tunisia 2 Andorra 1 Bosnia and Herzegovina 1 Colombia 1 Croatia 1 Hungary 1 Netherlands 1 Nigeria 1 Senegal 1 Slovakia 1 Slovenia 1 Turkey 1

Of the 11 goals he's scored against proper opposition (Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands) - 7 of them were penalties!

He's a fraud. Flat track bully - can't do it in big games for club or country.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here