Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Harry Kane Problem

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Anyone got the yards run stats for the final.

Reckon Harry would have been on about 37?

Not sure about run stats, but I do know he had 13 touches last night and gave the ball away 6 times.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Did Ramsey say later that had there been subs then Greaves would have played?
I’m not sure if he ever mentioned it. He was not used to using subs at all and many people blamed him for subbing off Bobby Charlton in the world cup against Germany. Beckenbaur had been man marking Bobby, we were winning at the time. When Bobby went off Beckenbaur tore us a new one and they won. That’s my memory of it anyway.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not sure if he ever mentioned it. He was not used to using subs at all and many people blamed him for subbing off Bobby Charlton in the world cup against Germany. Beckenbaur had been man marking Bobby, we were winning at the time. When Bobby went off Beckenbaur tore us a new one and they won. That’s my memory of it anyway.
So, there is no evidence that had there been subs Greaves would have played.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You won't. It is a hypothetical estimation of what might have been the consequence of something different happening. I'm speculating based on Kane's lack of abreaction (or even surprise) when he was subbed off. Ordinarily, as striker talisman and captain, one would not expect to be subbed off unless you and the manager know you are 'not right'. In which case I can't see Kane being shocked and petulant had he been benched.

Anyway, who cares? :wink:
Yet again HWT makes me reach for the dictionary......

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
So, there is no evidence that had there been subs Greaves would have played.
No evidence as such but various autobiographies mention it. It was just accepted that, when asked, Jimmy couldn't guarantee he could finish the 90 minutes. The rest is history and Geoff Hurst is probably still the only player to score a hat-trick in the final.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No evidence as such but various autobiographies mention it. It was just accepted that, when asked, Jimmy couldn't guarantee he could finish the 90 minutes. The rest is history and Geoff Hurst is probably still the only player to score a hat-trick in the final.
Not my understanding. This from wiki:

Greaves was fit to play in the final, but manager Alf Ramsey opted against changing a winning team.[102] Only the 11 players on the pitch at the end of the 4–2 win over West Germany received medals. Following a Football Association-led campaign to persuade FIFA to award medals to all the winners' squad members, Greaves was presented with his medal by Gordon Brown at a ceremony at 10 Downing Street on 10 June 2009.[103] In November 2014, Greaves's medal was sold at auction for £44,000.[104]

Greaves played only three more times for England after the 1966 World Cup, scoring a single goal. His final cap came in a 1–0 win over Austria on 27 May 1967.[89] At the time, he was England's all-time top goalscorer but was succeeded the following year by Bobby Charlton. Although Greaves was called up for UEFA Euro 1968, he remained an unused substitute throughout the tournament, as the team finished in third place. He retired from international football early the following year after telling Ramsey that he had no intention of becoming a bit-part player in the England squad.[105]

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Mbappe scored 3 in the final in 2022.

Edit: Not including his penalty in the shoot out. I wouldn't normally bother clarifying that, but two of the three goals he scored during the match were penalties as well.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Mbappe scored 3 in the final in 2022.

Edit: Not including his penalty in the shoot out. I wouldn't normally bother clarifying that, but two of the three goals he scored during the match were penalties as well.

Accept what you are saying. For years I have thought Geoff Hurst was the only player to score a hat-trick in the final. Seems I must stop using that! :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Accept what you are saying. For years I have thought Geoff Hurst was the only player to score a hat-trick in the final. Seems I must stop using that! :)
Do you remember watching the game? I was 8 at the time. It seemed to go on for hours :lolol:

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Do you remember watching the game? I was 8 at the time. It seemed to go on for hours :lolol:

Yes although it is a bit hazy, drink had been taken. We arrived back in Plymouth on HMS Ark Royal after 12 months in the Far East. Didn’t see any of the previous games having arrived on the Wednesday before the final. 58 years ago! Bloody hell! I would have been 18.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
it’s a management problem, always has been and always will be until southgate goes. played him despite being obviously injured this tournament. stuck him in a system that hasn’t even come close to getting the best out of him. insisted shoehorning foden in despite the two of them not being able to coexist in the same attack.

why was kane so good at spurs? because he had the likes of son making runs beyond him. there are two players in england who can do that, one was used interchangeably with kane, and the other, better one, rashford, is sat at home. are we seriously that surprised kane’s build up play was not good when the whole team was sat inside their own half for the majority of the tournament and the wingers were totally isolated? maybe if he had someone actually making runs on the shoulder of the defence there would be someone for him to create for?

i do think we need to have a conversation about why he’s lost so many finals and make very little impact in each one, but if it’s between keeping kane and keeping the manager there is only one answer

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He just needs to be dropped from the team if not fit, I don't understand how Southgate couldn't see it. A fit Kane is invaluable and would be an asset at the next world up but he was clearly so far off the pace at the Euros, yet the supposedly excellent coach we had with a simply incredible team spirit couldn't find it within himself to leave him out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Beckenbauer pulled 1 back on 68mins when Charlton was still on the pitch. He kept Charlton on longer than he had against the Czechs. Some would argue England played their best football of the tournament between Beckenbauer scoring on 68, and Seeler's bizarre equaliser on 86mins. (remembering Bonnetti was in goal, not Banks). Lost the game in ET, but the narrative that substituting Charlton cost England that game is probably more mythology than fact.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Beckenbauer pulled 1 back on 68mins when Charlton was still on the pitch. He kept Charlton on longer than he had against the Czechs. Some would argue England played their best football of the tournament between Beckenbauer scoring on 68, and Seeler's bizarre equaliser on 86mins. (remembering Bonnetti was in goal, not Banks). Lost the game in ET, but the narrative that substituting Charlton cost England that game is probably more mythology than fact.
I didn't know that. Memory can let you down on occassions and bias probably comes into it. :D

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He just needs to be dropped from the team if not fit, I don't understand how Southgate couldn't see it. A fit Kane is invaluable and would be an asset at the next world up but he was clearly so far off the pace at the Euros, yet the supposedly excellent coach we had with a simply incredible team spirit couldn't find it within himself to leave him out.

Agreed. Plus as captain it is a shame that Kane didn't adopt more of a leadership role for the good of the team role and recognise that his repeated inclusion in the starting 11 was massively detrimental. Especially as Kane is to winning trophies what Uncle Albert is to sailing.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, as somebody who was there (there, as in glued to the TV!) at t time, I can assure you that calling out the substitution of Bobby Charlton as losing us the game is in no way after-timing, or hindsight!
Bonetti in goal instead of Banks was a contributory factor, but it was pulling off Charlton that did the real damage - and we knew it at the time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here