Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The greatest rock band of all time are -

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Icy Gull said:
Although the Who were only the best until Keith Moon's demise and became parodies of themselves after that.

The Stones have to be the most durable imo

Agree with the first statement.

The second one is a tad ironic - considering that first statement. The Stones started becoming parodies when Brian Jones left, and certainly got worse around the time Ronnie Wood joined in 1975. The less said about the Rolling Stones in the 1980s and 1990s the better. No proper creative output.

As for Jagger being the ultimate rebel before doing a complete 180 and becoming a Knight. Don't get me wrong, there were a cracking band, but they are a little bit sad nowadays.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yoda said:
But they are the most succesful rock band ever though TLO.;)

Based on what criteria? I think The Beatles might have something to say about that. Anyway, it's quality, not quantity.

We've had this discussion on this board before, and I got flamed for it. It is just a disproportionate dislike of what Queen stood for. For me, they represented a triumph of image over quality. Granted, they were a fine band for whipping up a stadium full of eager fans, but their music always seemed to appeal mainly to the lowest common denominator. In other words, I felt that they were a group of artistic sell-outs.

Their only decent song was with someone else who I don't have a great deal of time for. 'Under Pressure' with David Bowie was a class number. Possibly a case of two wrongs making a right.

Oooh, and I've just noticed. This is my 3,000th post. Hooray. :cool:

Last edited:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
The Large One said:
Based on what criteria? Anyway, it's quality, not quantity.

We've had this discussion on this board before, and I got flamed for it. It is just a disproportionate dislike of what Queen stood for. For me, they represented a triumph of image over quality. Granted, they were a fine band for whipping up a stadium full of eager fans, but their music always seemed to appeal mainly to the lowest common denominator. In other words, I felt that they were a group of artistic sell-outs.

Their only decent song was with someone else who I don't have a great deal of time for. 'Under Pressure' with David Bowie was a class number. Possibly a case of two wrongs making a right.

I agree with you entirely other than your comments re Bowie who from 71-81 could do no wrong. Queen were really, really gash. End of.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I happily remember Queen as a 70s Glam Rock band and love them for it. The later stadium-filling stuff was very lucrative - and well done to them for that, but the music is not for me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
The second one is a tad ironic - considering that first statement. The Stones started becoming parodies when Brian Jones left, . T.

The Stones were a blinding band well after Brian Jones fell apart and was replaced.

Let it Bleed
Sticky fingers
Exile on Main Street - seriously underated album
Some Girls in 1978 was, for me , their last great album

1963 to 1978 makes them pretty damn durable

Agree that they are now a pretty sad outfit though :(

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm not a great Thin Lizzy fan myself. Give me Queen, Deep Purple, Rainbow (practically the same band as Deep Purple at one point), The Who, Whitesnake or the Stones any day :thumbsup::clap:

Seagull Stew

I would add my piece here by suggesting the Pixies, but then most on this thread would actually consider them to be a new band.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
the stone roses. as said above somewhere its quality not quantity. and before anybody says they are not rock, think about it, download driving south, listen and try to tell me thats not rock.

yes it does sound a bit like led zepplin.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The Clash . without doubt the best rock band.

I'd have Queen as the best 'Stadium Band'

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Dublin_Seagull said:
Thin Lizzy Great Irish Band,
U2 Great Irish Band
Boomtown Rats Great Irish Band

And what about

The Undertones
Van Morrison
&