Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Great Carvery Debate

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why should he? The notice was quite clear that if people took the piss, they would be charged extra. He also made it clear his reasoning for the extra charging policy was to limit foodwaste not to make money. He even offered foil so people can take meat waste home to eat.

View attachment 189766

The Landlord has got widespread support and with very good reason imo;
  • About a 1/3 of all food produced globally is lost in the process of getting to our table in the first place. Through over-production (food expires) or rejection because it doesn’t look ‘right’ etc. Good edible food wasted.
  • Some people think excessive foodwaste is morally wrong on those who toil with hard labour to ensure we are fed
  • Of the 263 million tonnes of meat produced every year globally, a fifth (53 million tonnes) is wasted – that's equivalent to 75 million cows.
  • What we waste at home makes up almost 50% of the UK‘s total food waste - We grow, manufacture and buy more food than we need resulting in huge environmental impacts (from landfills to monoculture from mass produced foods/intensive farming)
  • Obesity is an global epidemic - harmful to human health and harmful to healthcare provision services
  • It is fundamentally unjust that piles of uneaten food on people’s plates are chucked in the bin while some people simply can’t afford to eat.
You could be describing the buffet on cruise ships, although at least the food gets recycled in the sea.

It’s greed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In the last few years I've been on 'all inclusive' holidays twice and had two very different experiences regarding wastage. At one, people went up many times, coming back with small servings of a couple of things, sat down, ate them and then repeated.

At the other, I saw plates being piled high bought back, a couple of things eaten and then the remains being taken away. The same people would then go up and repeat the pile high process for the next course with similar wastage.

At both, it was people of various different nationalities but the main difference was that the first was an adults only place (no, not THAT sort of place) and the second was full of youngsters and kids. From my limited experience it seems to be younger people who were less concerned about wastage. I'll now duck as the Boomer insults fly :lolol:

Oh and team Landlord.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You could be describing the buffet on cruise ships, although at least the food gets recycled in the sea.

It’s greed.
Oh god. This reminds me. A good friend works in the cruise industry and he was driving down to Southampton for a tour of one of these huge Royal Caribbean ships which look more like a tower block than a ship and have dinner with the captain. I was intrigued by the sheer size of this boat and what it’s like on board and quite fancied a midweek dinner at the captain’s table; I managed to invite myself along.

Now, I had this idea of lots of polished brass, lots of vanished wood and lots of posh elderly people. The ship itself wasn’t anything like this. It was also change over day so no passengers on board either….. yet.

We ended a very nice day with a nice dinner with the captain when these double doors were pulled open. What then followed was around a hundred people, some in football shirts, racing to the buffet area, throwing down jumpers and cardigans and bagging tables and then piling plates as high as they could. Cruise ships are quite different in films.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh god. This reminds me. A good friend works in the cruise industry and he was driving down to Southampton for a tour of one of these huge Royal Caribbean ships which look more like a tower block than a ship and have dinner with the captain. I was intrigued by the sheer size of this boat and what it’s like on board and quite fancied a midweek dinner at the captain’s table; I managed to invite myself along.

Now, I had this idea of lots of polished brass, lots of vanished wood and lots of posh elderly people. The ship itself wasn’t anything like this. It was also change over day so no passengers on board either….. yet.

We ended a very nice day with a nice dinner with the captain when these double doors were pulled open. What then followed was around a hundred people, some in football shirts, racing to the buffet area, throwing down jumpers and cardigans and bagging tables and then piling plates as high as they could. Cruise ships are quite different in films.
This is the problem with anything nice isn’t, eventually the commoners find their way in .

Sensible people. People with a sense of decorum allow themselves a taste of a few items.

We don’t need to eat an entire watermelon followed by 3 sausages, hams, eggs, four bowls of sugary cereal, bread rolls slathered in marge, gallons of pop, waffles, hash browns, toast and jam, chips, beans, and slabs of cheese. All spilled over the table like it’s Yogi bear’s birthday.

A taste of this . A sip of that. A nibble of the other. Preferably taken in silence. The odd “tut” from behind father’s copy of the times. But otherwise, shhh.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I eat meat and don’t visit them.

For only £18 I can go to Wild Lemon and get just the right amount of food served by friendly staff in a lovely environment.

And they bring food to your table. One doesn’t have to go and stand in a queue with a plate in your hand. Like a bastard.
All you can eat or a carvery wouldn’t be my choice. I can get out of invites if any family or friends ever asked me to go.
Like yourself I prefer eating in a better environment

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The customers paid the £12. What's the problem if it's in the belly or in the bin? If the Landlord is thinking I could have sold the food they wasted to another customer then he needs to stop the all you can eat buffet and then the problem is solved.
You're assuming that no-one else is involved apart from the landlord and these two customers. If you expand the horizon a little and think of the next customer along, who would like an "all you can eat buffet" but can't have one, then has the problem been truly solved?

One advantage of all-you-can-eat is that you can have whatever veg in whatever quantity you want. Obviously the same effect could be had by the waiter taking a very detailed order of how much of each veg each customer wants, but it would be a lot less efficient in staff and would put the price up.

Of course, that would please the uber-snobs who can't bear the idea of eating with poor people! ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here