Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Great Carvery Debate

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I was inclined to support his stance against food waste, but then I looked at the pictures and can see why they didn't eat it. Looked like it had been boiled in a sack for four hours.
Certainly contrary to recent Trip Advisor reviews and photos, where it’s considered decent

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Team landlord here too.

I went to an All Inclusive hotel earlier this year. Mostly full of Americans and boy do they stack their plates - no veg or salad either. They'd get less than half way through and leave the rest. Food waste needs to be cut out and if that means charging extra for all you can eat food left then good. Obviously the best way fowards would be to stop eat as much as you like.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A "half what you can eat" option? Seems unlikely to work. 😉
yeah, wasn't clear to me that it was an all you can eat, what with the plates full of meat, usually rationed.

leads me to another obvious solution for the landlord, stop offering all you can eat.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Team landlord.
People mentioning Toby Inns, isn't that a go up once and not an all you can eat? Used to be last time I went but that was probably going on to 10 years ago. I stopped going as it is shit.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I know its the DM, but this bloke seems a bit extreme.

I do enjoy the occasional carvery, although I prefer the free house option rather than the Toby franchise.

But I don't think in my entire carvery career I've left that much it would notice or even contemplated taking food home with me.
Looks like the DM readers are with the landlord. Unusually, I'm with them.

One supportive post had 2.1k 'likes' and 9 'dislikes'

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is there anyone out there who’s “team locals”, I wonder?

Certainly not me.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
As we know, there are many on here who won't entertain or even acknowledge a Daily Mail link.
They can't make an informed decision without all the relevant details and the only thing missing is a picture of the left-overs to allow a balanced judgement.
So I've had to don my NBC haz-mat suit to head off a possible miscarriage of NSC justice.
My IPad will spend the next few hours in bleach and the suit is obviously beyond any run of the mill form of cleansing so I welcome any suggestions of how to get rid of the DM stench.

Oh, and Landlord; stop offering all you can eat if you're worried about waste. You know very well there are piss-takers everywhere in life.

IMG_3236.jpeg

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Only Carvery I’ve been to was the one in Upper Beeding at the Old Tolgate. Used to be excellent, I’m not sure if it’s still a thing?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Only Carvery I’ve been to was the one in Upper Beeding at the Old Tolgate. Used to be excellent, I’m not sure if it’s still a thing?
Closed a while ago but had been going downhill for years.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I went to that chinese all-you-can-eat jobbie at the bottom of East Street a few years back (Dave's ?). Not my choice, it was my lads birthday.

The place was wall-to-wall SportsDirect.com-clad Karens with buggys, with all their crotch-goblins generally running amok. The food was in trays under heat lamps, and the sheer wastage had to be seen to be believed. Tables and tables of abandoned plates piled high with everything - so much of it had barely even been touched. Once they've paid their £15 (or whatever) some people seem to lose all semblance of self-discipline, and instead become determined to "get me munnies wurf". The staff were literally carrying BINS around, shovelling the leftovers in.

Disgusting. I was revolted, and never even thought of going back. And the food was actually pretty decent, I was mildly surprised. But as for the experience - bleuurgh. Never again.

So yeah, 100% Team Landlord. I could not disagree with a word he said.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I like Toby, you can get more veggies I think well I do but I judge what I can eat and don't leave a thing on my plate.

Piling a plate up when you can make multiple journeys is a really bad habit so agree with the Landlord here.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I went to that chinese all-you-can-eat jobbie at the bottom of East Street a few years back (Dave's ?). Not my choice, it was my lads birthday.

The place was wall-to-wall SportsDirect.com-clad Karens with buggys, with all their crotch-goblins generally running amok. The food was in trays under heat lamps, and the sheer wastage had to be seen to be believed. Tables and tables of abandoned plates piled high with everything - so much of it had barely even been touched. Once they've paid their £15 (or whatever) some people seem to lose all semblance of self-discipline, and instead become determined to "get me munnies wurf". The staff were literally carrying BINS around, shovelling the leftovers in.

Disgusting. I was revolted, and never even thought of going back. And the food was actually pretty decent, I was mildly surprised. But as for the experience - bleuurgh. Never again.

So yeah, 100% Team Landlord. I could not disagree with a word he said.

I've been there a few times without any problems. Last time there was 4 of us and my Girlfriend was giving the other 2 a bollocking for piling their plates up.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Southerners can’t finish their dinner, I went on an all inclusive short break to Spain a few years ago, northerners leave clean plates no wasted food with that lot even the lasses shovel it in 🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here