Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Great Albion Midfield Rebuild - Summer ‘24 edition

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Is one of the central 4 in that system operating as an 8 though? Gross did it often enough and Buononatte might work there.

I guess Enciso or Pedro could work there from a final third point of view but they both have question marks in other elements of the role. Not to mention the fact I don’t think they’d enjoy having to be that deep.
Two sixes (defensive midfielders), both with the freedom to roam forward and a CB to step up and cover the space and keep the structure. Two wingers moving freely to become attacking midfielders or even strikers and a nine involved in the play. Lots of attacking threat from the wing backs. Fluid stuff. From indication and belief - its not clear yet how it will look in the end. We could all get very surprised.
Failed in championship. Shocked if he makes the squad
I don't think its likely that Ayari will stick around and contribute. You don't think so. Fabio probably didn't think so a month ago. But its up to the players to prove people right/wrong. Maybe something clicked inside Ayari, maybe he took a step in body or mind we don't know about. Happens all the time.

Would be surprised but not shocked. He played well in Japan and his passing is very good, we saw that even before he went out on loan.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I’m wary of reading too much into just two pre-season appearances, but I was impressed with his awareness and passing.

If that’s his normal level and not a rare fluke then I would have him in the first team squad in a heartbeat.
I wouldnt we need to spunk £30 million on another midfielder no one has heard of or seen play.
We want new blood!!
Lol

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
All you can hear in the background of those training videos are helicopters doing circuits. Must drive people who live there mad.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
This "proven top half EPL CM" - is that the only way to judge our squad. ?
On that basis then Wieffer who is a Dutch international, with Europa League experience and 100+ Eridivisie appearances, young and with plenty of suitors and took Feyenoord to runners up last season would come up short to i dunno Will Hughes. Who is clearly a proven CM - he made 30 appearances for a top half EPL side in 23/24 didn't he. ?
Champions League experience too :thumbsup:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Caciedo had massive hype behind him when we signed him lauded as one of the best up and coming centre mids in south America.

Ayari barely even had @Han Solo backing and was seen as a gamble or a player to flip later on.
Yeah, a bit of a gamble, most transfers are, but that wasn't the point you made, you said he hadn't done well on his loan, as proof he isn't ready for the PL. He might not be, I just don't think your evidence is conclusive. Neither is how he was viewed 18 months ago, before coming here.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Maybe this new manager has said he doesn’t need midfielders….just lots of wingers, £50 million valued Undav (😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂) up front and a 4 man defence

this could be a mega attacking fest of a season

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
According to this from Naylor ....

Wieffer will be first choice

Diego Gomez won't arrive until the January transfer window

Dahoud and Moder are not in Hurzeler’s plans

Hurzeler has an open mind about what comes next for Yalcouye

Baleba: He is an option to play LB. "Against the ball he is very athletic. He has good speed, he is good one-against-one and with the ball. He can play very good vertical passes and he can create a dynamic from further back, because of his dynamic runs."

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
According to this from Naylor ....

Wieffer will be first choice

Diego Gomez won't arrive until the January transfer window

Dahoud and Moder are not in Hurzeler’s plans

Hurzeler has an open mind about what comes next for Yalcouye

Baleba: He is an option to play LB. "Against the ball he is very athletic. He has good speed, he is good one-against-one and with the ball. He can play very good vertical passes and he can create a dynamic from further back, because of his dynamic runs."

Agree with all of that.

Except Baleba at left back? Quality player but looked a proper fish out of water in that position. Get him in centre mid.

That said i'm not sure what other LB options we have if Barco gets injured.

Lamptey? Seems to be injured?
Milner? Nooooooo
Igor? Possible, but snail slow
Pervis? Get well soon
Solly? Likewise
Hinsh? Would be my pick over Milner or Baleba if everyone else is injured. At least he has experience at full back
Veltman? Well yes, but it seems we need him at right back

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So the plan seems to be :

- Gomez In but not until January.
- Yalcouye stays and isn't loaned out.

Midfield recruitment done ?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So the plan seems to be :

- Gomez In but not until January.
- Yalcouye stays and isn't loaned out.

Midfield recruitment done ?
So for the start of the season, we're likely to be down .... Gross, Gilmour, Moder and Facu and Lallana (if you want to call them midfielders).

Up Wieffer and Yalcouyle and who knows, Ayari. Hinsh is also fit

I suppose the only comment is that if Wieffer isn't fit we're really lacking experience. And he isn't that experienced

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
As it stands,

- Gross gone
- Gilmour could be gone
- Buononatte could be gone
- Moder not in FH’s plans
- Dahoud not in FH’s plans
- Yalcouyle FH is uncertain on
- Milner in reality not good enough to be a starter in a top 10 push
- Ayari in reality not good enough to be a starter in a top 10 push
- Baleba being tried as a defender

Leaves Wieffer and Hinshelwood.

Surely we’ll be signing a midfielder - likely a box-to-box 8 type or someone very versatile through the middle.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As it stands,

- Gross gone
- Gilmour could be gone

Surely we’ll be signing a midfielder - likely a box-to-box 8 type or someone very versatile through the middle.
And Hinsh might be needed at full back. And Wieffer looks understandably short of fitness

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As it stands,

- Gross gone
- Gilmour could be gone

Yep as that's a fighting relegation midfield squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here