Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Germans - 101 Reasons Why They Are Not All Bad

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Tomorrow will be the 47 anniversary of the famous ''Ich bin ein Berliner'' speach by Kennady.

Ich bin ein all of us a wee bit Berliner?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I flicked over to catch a bit of mentalist former netminding great Olli Kahn's punditry on German telly last night and nearly choked on my knackwurst when he casually slipped in the phrase "high performance" in English. Unverschaemt. And the German for public viewing, as in a crowd of people watching games on a big screen like in 2006, is apparently officially a, erm, "public viewing".

to refer back to an earlier post, and sorry all of you "the germans speak english far more readily than the french" that's just nonsense.

the french do this all of the time, far more than you all are all letting on, even if you wished it wasn't the case

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
to refer back to an earlier post, and sorry all of you "the germans speak english far more readily than the french" that's just nonsense.

the french do this all of the time, far more than you all are all letting on, even if you wished it wasn't the case

I said something like that. You can be chatting with a bunch of Frenchies and they'll drop in words like "le software" and "le website" but most written French seems to stick with "le logiciel" and "le site web"

But if you're saying that just as many French speak English as Germans speak English, I don't think that's true - although that's only a gut feeling, I haven't seen any figures.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I said something like that. You can be chatting with a bunch of Frenchies and they'll drop in words like "le software" and "le website" but most written French seems to stick with "le logiciel" and "le site web"

But if you're saying that just as many French speak English as Germans speak English, I don't think that's true - although that's only a gut feeling, I haven't seen any figures.

nope that's not what i'm saying, it's a fact i'd imagine that more germans speak english than french people do.

what i was saying was that modern colloquial french has as many instances of english borrowings as german.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
a1bea6f61dc8ecc81fe50daaaba89935.gif

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nein

I can't think of anything.

Not quite true. They are good land managers/farmer/ecologists/scientists, at least some of them. Better than the English.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Isn't it strange that, in the last 100 years we've had 2 wars against them but the main feeling is that of a healthy respect and rivalry especially on the sports field.

Maybe there's a lesson there for some nations, religions who are still fighting disputes from hundreds of years ago.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Isn't it strange that, in the last 100 years we've had 2 wars against them but the main feeling is that of a healthy respect and rivalry especially on the sports field.

Maybe there's a lesson there for some nations, religions who are still fighting disputes from hundreds of years ago.

There's a lesson that any lingering nationalistic feelings are settled purely on the football field, and judging from the tone of most of this thread, even that is now diminishing.

Good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here