Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The future of VAR in England

The future of VAR...?

• Total voters

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
With VAR it's just the same as it was before VAR: sometimes marginal decisions go our way, sometimes not; there's not much logic to it; we all complain about the officials still.

On balance I'd rather have complaining with instant decisions rather than the new world of slow decisions and then complaining anyway.
Watched the EFL highlights this weekend. Great to see proper football with decisions made by the ref. VAR is killing football.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its just the re-refereeing of games thats annoying. The VAR ref has decided that he has to make a decision, and it took him that long to work out the one he thought was correct. The option to not make a decision, because its borderline, because its taking so long, and go back to the on field ref doesnt seem to be available to him.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I can't keep watching football with VAR the way it is. 35 years of watching and I'm thinking of finding other things to replace football. It's not a fun spectator sport.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I wouldn't mind if they completely scrapped VAR tomorrow, but it's being so awfully applied. In the scenario of the Southampton penalty, give it 2-3 looks: if it's still unclear, either stick with on-field decision of ask ref to go to screen. Ref isn't going to overturn his own decision unless he's completely sure. I wouldn't even mind the ref taking 13 looks at it. But the way it is now is awful.

I say this not overly bitter about today's decision in particular, only because we've had quite a few in the last couple of games go our way.

Get rid, or massively reform.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was staunchly in favour of VAR, to stop the injustices of football.

It took a while, but I’m completely against it now. For the simple rationale that:

1. The errors and subjective controversies have continued.

2. Goals are ruled out by a shoulder being a cm offside.

At least the old error strewn game wasn’t interrupted by minutes of mid-match micro analysis.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Man Utd goal which got them back in the game was from a clearance that went a foot off the pitch and VAR couldn't see that yet the same view determines a foul took place on the line of the penalty area zero consistency

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Get rid, but at the same time players and managers need to be more honest. If there wasn’t so much cheating and play acting it might never have been introduced in the first place. TV and pundits can also take some blame constantly examining decisions and slating referees pre VAR.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Carragher and Ljungberg absolutely certain that was not a pen.

Of course it wasn’t a pen. Every week VAR makes the game worse for those who love it most. Not that we deserved anything out of that game, mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
When we get a decision it feels hollow, when they go against us it's dispiriting.

My conclusion: garbage (and evidently set up and managed by complete morons).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One thing VAR does is give those who don't wish to acknowledge a poor performance an excuse (probably including the manager)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here