Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The future of VAR in England

The future of VAR...?

• Total voters

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just seen it - how the **** can they call that a pen ?!?? So unclear As to what happens.

It’s ok if VAR gets the correct decision like Coady the other night but to overturn something so unclear and call it clear and obvious is a joke.

Always wanted rid. Still do.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s not about the randomness of going our way or not. VAR is wrong. That is a fact.

Exactly that - it’s not about getting correct var decisions like the villa one or Liverpool one. This was simple wrong. Like WBA sending off Saturday too. Shocking.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Great when it works for you and horrible when it goes against. Bit like referees - it hasn't improved the game has it ? just more penalties given.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Also, can anyone explain why the screen said:

DECISION: "FOUL by March"

Surely it was checking whether it was inside the box, not whether it was a foul?

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Great when it works for you and horrible when it goes against. Bit like referees - it hasn't improved the game has it ? just more penalties given.

But is it really great? To me it just all feels rather flat and false.

VAR combined with absence from stadium is really making me feel disconnected from the game for the first time in my life :(

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Let’s not be babies. We’ve had VAR go our way too.
This is nonsense.

We've had some incorrect decisions go our way when looked at by VAR, so they were correct. We've had some absolute shockers go against us that weren't looked at all. Plus we've had some close ones, either way.

This one tonight is on another level.

The referee marked it a foot or so outside the area. Which was correct. Then when the player was IN THE AIR obviously they came into contact. There wasn't another foul, unless it was a foul on March.

Everyone in the World, including the onfield officials saw what happened. A shoulder barge outside the box. Yellow card, free kick.

What is going through the mind of this halfwit moron who's only refereed a handful of games to give a penalty?!

It's just a totally incorrect decision. When the referee had got it right.

That's not what VAR is supposed to be for.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
VAR errors are affecting games, like tonight. Sky emphatic that was not a pen.

Minutes spent deciding the wrong decision. At the cost of the football becoming like cricket and rugby union with huge interruptions when a game could be flowing.
Works great in cricket. Has ruined Rugby. The difference is clear. Leave it to the refs and have more of them, in sport that has to flow for it to work.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I expected it to be shite
It is shite
I fear we are stuck with it, but I am not sure why. Apart from the horse thinking out of the toolbox.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Works great in cricket. Has ruined Rugby. The difference is clear. Leave it to the refs and have more of them, in sport that has to flow for it to work.

Part of the reason it works in cricket is the margin of error which is allowed for unlike VAR where humans make a decision not computers with technology which isn't advanced enough for its use

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I was all for it but happy to admit that I was wrong. It just gets worse and worse each passing week. Genuinely considering binning off my season ticket if we stay up, I’m not getting enjoyment out of the game at all.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And, sorry for quoting myself, but the reason why it works so well in cricket and NFL is that each ball/play is separate. Plus the decision is usually sorted out in seconds. And they get it RIGHT.

These sports, which have refined the use of video replays over years are designed to work with it. Plus they have refined it over decades.

The utter shambles that has been forced on football is a joke.

Now, I was totally against it in the first place. But then, after the World Cup I thought "well, this can actually work ok". Spotting Neymar diving, spotting Neymar handling the ball and then diving. That kind of thing.

But the way it's been introduced here is just a joke. "Clear and obvious errors". What happened to that?

I'm not wearing blue and white specs. One of the worst VAR decisions I've seen was that ridiculous "brushing the fingers" handball one against Palace. Yeah it was funny but my word, it was so wrong!!

"It'll even itself out over the season" "We got a few" "Well, last week they got one"

Who cares? The way the VAR rules are being used at the moment is a total cluster**** and tonight we were on the recieving end of a good fisting by it.

Sounds like football before VAR but more fun, because you could celebrate a goal once the lino didn't put his flag up. Instead of the 30yrd screamer being disallowed because the guy who knocked it back was 2mm offside (except you couldn't quite tell).

I'll shut up now. Probably.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Part of the reason it works in cricket is the margin of error which is allowed for unlike VAR where humans make a decision not computers with technology which isn't advanced enough for its use
Very good point. And that's because it has been used sensibly and adjusted accordingly (not losing reviews for umpires call being something that most fans were banging on about for a while).

And that's my point.

The version of VAR in football varies from country to country, competition to competition.

It's a shambles.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It ought to be very simple: did the on field officials make a clear and obvious mistake in their original choice?

If the answer is uncertainty, then stick with the current decision.
If the decision is obviously wrong on first or second glance - 10 seconds max - then ask the referee to go to the pitch side monitor and make sure he agrees - then change the decision.

That would be the solution I would be happy with. But I have no faith that we will ever get there - and so I would rather go back to how it was before, with no VAR at all.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And of course India were the last bastions of not using technology....... before they got some decent fast bowlers. [emoji23]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I was all for it but happy to admit that I was wrong. It just gets worse and worse each passing week. Genuinely considering binning off my season ticket if we stay up, I’m not getting enjoyment out of the game at all.

Probably just the outrage speaking but the thought has occurred to me tonight that I would prefer to be relegated to escape VAR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here