[Football] The future of VAR in England

The future of VAR...?

• Total voters

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Bin it

Drastically Increase post match punishments for blatant cheating
Mike up (and train and empower) the linos and 4th officials with each other. 4 of them should be able to spot anything blatantly wrong.

The big problems with post match punishments for blatant cheating is that it doesn't or wouldn't happen, mainly because a large percentage of the cheats are the 'big names' in the game. It also means other clubs would benefit rather than the one who may have lost points due to cheating. Deal with cheating when it happens with officials having the balls to punish the 'names'.

VAR will not go away-that would be an admission that the people in charge of the game fvcked up and they'll never admit to that.

We're stuck with it so it's time to use it properly. Torso only for offside with attackers getting the decision if level with a defender. Crack down on the wrestling that takes place for every single corner and free kick. And be consistent-Lamptey concedes a penalty for nothing yet later in the same game we got nothing for a full on bear hug during the corner bullsh1t.

Referees MUST go to the monitor for any VAR awarded penalty that looks questionable. Tw@ts like Kane should be red carded more often rather than being awarded a penalty for deceiving the officials.

And breathe.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The big problems with post match punishments for blatant cheating is that it doesn't or wouldn't happen, mainly because a large percentage of the cheats are the 'big names' in the game. It also means other clubs would benefit rather than the one who may have lost points due to cheating. Deal with cheating when it happens with officials having the balls to punish the 'names'.

VAR will not go away-that would be an admission that the people in charge of the game fvcked up and they'll never admit to that.

We're stuck with it so it's time to use it properly. Torso only for offside with attackers getting the decision if level with a defender. Crack down on the wrestling that takes place for every single corner and free kick. And be consistent-Lamptey concedes a penalty for nothing yet later in the same game we got nothing for a full on bear hug during the corner bullsh1t.

Referees MUST go to the monitor for any VAR awarded penalty that looks questionable. Tw@ts like Kane should be red carded more often rather than being awarded a penalty for deceiving the officials.

And breathe.

All of which confirms we need better officials and the VAR numpties should be heard and held to account.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Goal line technology in. VAR out. As a spectator having to wait to celebrate, or not, a goal goes against everything that being a spectator is all about. Whoever thought that slomo or frame by frame analysis would help come to the right decision on an incident in a fast-paced contact sport was mistaken.
A finger or toe being 1cm ahead of the defender would not be offside when match officials made the decisions so it shouldn't be offside in a studio.

It could have been good for the game if implemented sensibly and used for what it was supposed to do-not suck the life out of the game.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All of which confirms we need better officials and the VAR numpties should be heard and held to account.
Exactly. They are all failing the lifeblood of football-the supporters.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sure, if you care that much that the decision is ‘right.’ Yours and others’ suggestions just sound like you are tweaking the software in a video game. Football decision making is subjective. It is one of the joys of the game. Watch any game on tv and the half time ‘experts’ will earnestly disagree even after watching everything a hundred times in slow motion. The only difference with VAR is the pretence that decisions will be ‘right’ and a diminishing of spontaneity that reduces fan enjoyment in the stadiums.

Yeah. All I'm suggesting is that we keep as much of the subjective as possible by deferring almost every decision to the referees, and just rule on the objective - the clearly offside, the guy who punches the ball in with his hand, the blatant dive. That's achievable by pushing the fine margins heavily to that side of the equation, and enabling the referee to review his own decisions on his own without input from anyone else.

Technology should be able to get us to the point that a ref can replay any piece of action himself on a portable pocket device, so it is him and him alone that judges. I would be fine with that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Only 3 out of over 200 prepared to say it's working fine

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have until Villa arm farce thought VAR ok with offside. However think should still be used for offside but with like all other sports all off foot has to be over line.
With fouls leave it to ref. Handball is a bigger problem because it is going to need a change of rule because you cant continue to have so many given just for hitting arm. Hopefully all leagues can get together and agree

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
VAR Is a disaster and needs to be got rid it's just spoiling the game I ask you when was the last time we were able to sing "the referees a w****r" while singing " the video assistant referee is miles away and a w****r " just doesn't sound right

I genuinely think we are a small step from a decision goes to VAR the game has a time out players troupe over to the coach for a drinks break and some words of wisdom while dancing girls and boys run onto the field waving pom-poms and firing shirts into the crowd while the speaker system plays some awful jingle then after a few minutes the referee makes an announcement, it's all part of the Americanised franchise European super league carp trap that Man united and Liverpool proposed which they will do again and again until some form is acceptable it's all killing the game

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
get rid and line up those that banged on and on and on about having it ............. and shoot them

.....................but have VAR to check if the firing party was two millimetres too close ................................... and take it again if they were ....................

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
VAR Is a disaster and needs to be got rid it's just spoiling the game I ask you when was the last time we were able to sing "the referees a w****r" while singing " the video assistant referee is miles away and a w****r " just doesn't sound right

I genuinely think we are a small step from a decision goes to VAR the game has a time out players troupe over to the coach for a drinks break and some words of wisdom while dancing girls and boys run onto the field waving pom-poms and firing shirts into the crowd while the speaker system plays some awful jingle then after a few minutes the referee makes an announcement, it's all part of the Americanised franchise European super league carp trap that Man united and Liverpool proposed which they will do again and again until some form is acceptable it's all killing the game

I don’t like the sound of the shirt thing. There are 7 year Brighton fans still REELING from their exclusion from having a free shirt. Hardly fair.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
The shitshow that is VAR has taken away the enjoyment of celebrating a goal. How the fūck can anyone be in favour of something that takes that enjoyment away.

Even those poor souls who back the shitshow now give a "yes" and immediately think "but is it a goal?"

Over 66% of people who have voted on here give a resounding bin it. Says it all for me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Why do the percentages in this poll add up to 109 ?
(sorry if I’m sounding a bit like Donald Trump here).
I only noticed because several posters have mentioned the total for keeping it or for binning it and I was surprised by the quoted turnaround in votes by percentage. Seems it’s actually magnified because of a greater than 100 % stated total.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Why do the percentages in this poll add up to 109 ?
(sorry if I’m sounding a bit like Donald Trump here).
I only noticed because several posters have mentioned the total for keeping it or for binning it and I was surprised by the quoted turnaround in votes by percentage. Seems it’s actually magnified because of a greater than 100 % stated total.

My bad. Misread you post, thought it was 190!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Love it.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
With VAR it's just the same as it was before VAR: sometimes marginal decisions go our way, sometimes not; there's not much logic to it; we all complain about the officials still.

On balance I'd rather have complaining with instant decisions rather than the new world of slow decisions and then complaining anyway.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I hate it. It's not about the decisions against us. It's al of them. How long did that take? And it wasn't even clear and obvious.
What is the point? Scrap it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here