Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Future Of Dean Wilkins?

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Do you think that Dean Wilkins will be sought after in the wake of the inevitable early-season managerial casualties? Leading Albion to seventh place in League 1 must count for something. What sort of clubs would want him? League 1? League 2? How far down the pyramid would Wilkins be prepared to manage? Blue Square North/South? Should Wilkins give up on managing and focus on coaching?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd be surprised if he walked into another managers job to be honest.
He was well thought of here by many as he did wonders with the youth team, and is remembered with (some) affection as a player. But he has no background whatsoever with any other clubs, and in managerial terms, is basically a relatively unknown rookie.

If he's lucky he'll get a 4th division managerial role, but more likely to get a coaching / youth team role somewhere obscure.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, I think his CV is excellent and there are plenty of clubs who will be managerless and reliant on youth later in the Autumn.

I'd say his natural level would be the likes of Swindon, Bristol Rovers, Southend.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Under 10 coach at conference level at best.

9 year olds dont ask awkward questions like: 'Apart scoring a free kick against Ipswich in 1991 what else did you do in your 15 year playing career with Brighton?'

To which the only honest can be: 'Tried not to get dirty'.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Here we go.Lets slag him off.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No sour grapes on this thread, then.

I reiterate - damn good servant to Brighton and Hove Albion who deserves the fan's respect.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He was an average player, free kick aside I cannot remember any other Willkins moment in his career, called Wendy as a piss take as he was lightweight and did not tackle, it was not a nickname with affection but malice

An excellent youth team coach

A very average/poor manager

I would be amased if he got a managers job at any level in the 4 leagues.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
As a coach I reckon he could probably do League 1 but managerial you've got to be looking at League 2 or Conference. I not sure he'll even want to be the main man anymore.

League 2 or Conference??

When he has proved that he can manage a pretty average League 1 squad to within a place of a playoff position??

:bla:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No sour grapes on this thread, then.

I reiterate - damn good servant to Brighton and Hove Albion who deserves the fan's respect.

Its not sour grapes (well, not from me). Just an honest opinion of his overall standing in the footballing echelons outside of the Albion. He's clearly an excellent youth team coach (Adams clearly rated him as he tried to poach him for Cov). But he's not really a name that would be high on many prospective clubs lists should the managers job suddenly become available.

The absolute best he could do is join a Championship teams coaching staff. But there are so many ex-premiership clubs at that level now, along with ex-premiership players, he'd be lucky to get a look-in IMHO.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Defo will either get a league one/two managers job or lower end of Championship or roll up Premership/Championship coach/youth team head.

Big big shame we could'nt keep him as he is Brighton at heart. He has his payout so currently can wait for the right offer.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He was an average player, free kick aside I cannot remember any other Willkins moment in his career, called Wendy as a piss take as he was lightweight and did not tackle, it was not a nickname with affection but malice

An excellent youth team coach

A very average/poor manager

I would be amased if he got a managers job at any level in the 4 leagues.

Strange interpretation there isnt it ?

I have updated the old leagues status to maybe bring a little sanity to this debate.

Both Tommy Docherty and Terry Venables signed him as a pro whilst still a youngster at QPR.

Made a few Chamionship games under Melia and co, or was it Cattlin when he was first time round at the club.

Signed for PEC Zwolle playing in the Dutch Premier League ( approx. 100 games )against the best that the Dutch had at the time, Van Basten, Rijkard and Gullit and Ajax, Feyornord, PSV, etc.

Before being brought back by Lloyd and making 300+ games including yes that free kick and promotion from League 1 to the Championship and then captaining the club in the play offs at Wembley scoring too on the day, although missing out on the Premiership.

If that makes him an average player then I am guessing we could do with some of that standard of 'average' player in our current squad, or maybe we just couldnt afford such mediocrity !!

Yes he was an excellent Youth Coach, but to somehow dismiss his 7th position last season is odd.

I couldnt say where he will end up, but to be so dismissive of such a loyal servant to this club with so many qualities is a bizaare interpretation.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Indeed BigGully... but what do you expect from US ?

I just think maybe we dont seem to understand the level he sustain throughout his career, but if you examine his playing CV it would put most of our current squad to shame. I am afraid.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
League 2 or Conference??

When he has proved that he can manage a pretty average League 1 squad to within a place of a playoff position??

:bla:

from an outsiders point of view, what did he actually achieve though? when a team wants a new manager it is in order to make progress, and not many teams are going to think "what about dean wilkins, took brighton to a meaningless place in league one"

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Yes the club finished 7th in the division last year. How good was the division last year? Leeds were docked 15 points and still made the play offs (arguably would have gone up if Wise had stayed). Luton were docked points last year and were still in with a chance of staying up very late on.

If we are going to compare a managers ability on the basis of who they played against as a mark of their managerial abilty then that makes Carlton Palmer a managerial heavyweight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here