Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The French election

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Europe and the West (including US) have to answer the problem of immigration. It’s that simple. If they don’t the so called far right will win because the people have had enough of it. Far better to deal with it sensibly than allow extreme groups to come into power.

Massive uncontrolled economic population migration across the world needs controlling or the West will be sunk by it to the benefit of the Chinese and Russians.
If it is to be addressed then serious and immediate action on climate change, reparations for historic actions and massive increases in foreign aid budgets are the way to go.

Ironically all actions opposed by the very politicians who usually demand a “solution” to the immigration issue.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The lurches to the right seem to be in France, Germany and Austria.

A surrendering collaborator and the twin parents of Hitler.

Well done everyone.
I think there are bigger problems in the east. I worried it would happen here after, you know, that event. But the Tories seem to have self destructed.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm just glad we voted for Brexit so we don't have to deal with Johnny Foreigners like France anymore and stopped immigrants coming in to steal our jobs and claim benefits at the same time.
I'm not getting wooshed, I'm not getting wooshed.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Interesting theory put out on social media, I don’t see it personally but interesting to mull over.

If the far right win the French elections, would a new PM this side of La Manche in Starmer be bold enough to call a vote (in Parliament or through referendum) on much closer integration with Europe in the name of “European security”?

Like I say, I don’t think it’s likely, but it’s an intriguing possibility and gives Labour the pretext it needs for something it unarguably wants to do.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You don't believe in Britain enough.
It's always an interesting phrase. A bit like 'Christian Country'. Utterly devoid of deep sentiment, but sounds great for rallying the insecure. Which is basically what radical patriotism is. Insecurity. Anyway. I'm derailing.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Interesting theory put out on social media, I don’t see it personally but interesting to mull over.

If the far right win the French elections, would a new PM this side of La Manche in Starmer be bold enough to call a vote (in Parliament or through referendum) on much closer integration with Europe in the name of “European security”?

Like I say, I don’t think it’s likely, but it’s an intriguing possibility and gives Labour the pretext it needs for something it unarguably wants to do.
The Sunday Times today reported Labour had built bridges through David Lammy with the Macron regime in anticipation of a new entente cordiale.

Reactions: A1X

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Not sure where to post this - sorry for bumping an old thread but this is specifically about the old Le Pen v Macron battle 6 years down the line

HATE WINS OVER HOPE

The rising tide of Bannon/Trump/Reform/Truss/Farage vile

I'm not sure there's much of a rising tide from Reform/Truss(?)/Farage - certainly nothing compared to the % of far right votes in many European countries, at least. Still, its only Britain that's Broken, claim those ignorant folk who think the grass simply must be greener everywhere else 🙄

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

But why would Labour want to cosy up to the extreme right? Even if it meant closer EU co-operation?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'm not sure there's much of a rising tide from Reform/Truss(?)/Farage - certainly nothing compared to the % of far right votes in many European countries, at least. Still, its only Britain that's Broken, claim those ignorant folk who think the grass simply must be greener everywhere else 🙄
You didn’t read my post properly did you. And you cut off quoting me mid sentence too.

Guess you don’t follow American politics either - I said what is happening in Europe is of the SAME vile brand of populist Nationalism that Trump/Bannon/Farage/Truss et al espouse. I did not say there was a rising tide of Nationalism in the UK .

Last edited:

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
You didn’t read my post properly did you. And you cut off quoting me mid sentence too.

Guess you don’t follow American politics either - I said what is happening in Europe is of the SAME vile brand of populist Nationalism that Trump/Bannon/Farage/Truss et al espouse. I did not say there was a rising tide of Nationalism in the UK .
And Italy . Spain where I am now will go the same way.

Somethingdean

May 18, 2019
We are all in deep trouble. The changing climate will force millions of people upwards into Europe from the global south in the coming decades.
We all need to collaborate and come up with a compassionate, feasible plan for dealing with the effect of this upon all of our societies. Instead, these fascist bastards will simply fan the flames and do nothing but blame foreigners.
What can we do? Erect a gigantic wall around entire British Isles?
I'm worried as to what will happen when they realise they can't fix the problems with their narrow-minded ideas. If someone evil enough exploits that we're in trouble again.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Can anyone more knowledgeable than me explain why we are seeing this seemingly dramatic rise in the far right movement across the world?

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
It comes down to a rejection of the likes of Macron whose viewed as neo-liberal rat. The problem is these right-wing parties (if Italy is anything to go by) are actually even more likely to have no clue how to deal with these issues. What happens is you get a culture of racism and alienation of the immigrants/migrants which leads to vulnerable people falling into the hands of organised gangs like what we are seeing in Sweden and then a reaction to that.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Can anyone more knowledgeable than me explain why we are seeing this seemingly dramatic rise in the far right movement across the world?
Well perhaps not everyone shares the same views on life and the world. I'd guess that should be allowable. If the majority vote for a 'particular view' then that is democracy. Understanding it perhaps (from anyone's viewpoint) may be a little 'confusing'. C'est la vie.

Jul 20, 2003

End stage capitalism. The masses feel as if they've been turned over and those who control the media blame the deficiencies on 'the other'.

The rise of populist nationalism.

and the hate that comes with it

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If it is to be addressed then serious and immediate action on climate change, reparations for historic actions and massive increases in foreign aid budgets are the way to go.

Ironically all actions opposed by the very politicians who usually demand a “solution” to the immigration issue.

Stop muddying the waters,... the simple facts are this, large-scale migration into western democracies is based solely on the individual desire of said migrants to grab a piece of the western economic and social success story... those various 'western' societies, were successful and/or developing success, long before the various trading companies spread the industrialised commerce reach into the new world nations across the planet.

Jul 20, 2003
I'm just glad we voted for Brexit so we don't have to deal with Johnny Foreigners like France anymore and stopped immigrants coming in to steal our jobs and claim benefits at the same time.

Baby Success GIF

Disturbing mess to follow...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here