Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The French election

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The 1958 cod war was between just Iceland and the UK, nothing to do with the EU and nothing to do with quotas. It was purely down to disputed territorial waters. Britain gave up its first huge concession in the 70s only just before joining the common market because it was a condition of entry by the other members who wanted a slice of the richest fishing waters in Europe.

Maritime boundaries in Europe are now pretty much agreed upon and the UK will have the final word on who fishes within it and how much they will be allowed to catch. I know it's become a cliche but that really is an example of taking back control.

If the Cornish economy booms on the back of a fishy bonanza, I'll salute you on this. I'm not holding my breath, though.

ATB :cheers:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Macron wins

The sort of moderate, yet progressive leader we can only dream of in this country

19 months on, in the real world of Macron having to make the harsh decisions when in power, it’s not going to plan. Lesson - don’t put politicians on a pedestal prematurely, when they haven’t done anything. Especially in a very divided nation such as France, with huge and endemic structural problems. They are NOT the economic miracle that is Germany.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46499996

77B74EF7-0C1A-4602-AA8B-7E20147D93BB.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Here's hoping, I have some bottles but the price of petrol is prohibitive, also our Tory twunt mp lives In a different time zone. I wouldn't waste either commodity on good people.

I do think Britain could learn a few things from the French. 4 weeks of rioting and the government might listen.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
And what would've happened if Le Penn had won? You'd see this level of disorder certainly, but much more spread out in the form of attacks on migrants and those not of ethnic French origin, before a race riot would inevitably occur. Macron hasn't been good but the alternative would've been a lot worse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you condoning rioting?

You can’t deny authorities listen when there’s direct action....if anyone, Brighton supporters know this.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
And what would've happened if Le Penn had won? You'd see this level of disorder certainly, but much more spread out in the form of attacks on migrants and those not of ethnic French origin, before a race riot would inevitably occur. Macron hasn't been good but the alternative would've been a lot worse.

Bit like this country.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not sure where to post this - sorry for bumping an old thread but this is specifically about the old Le Pen v Macron battle 6 years down the line

HATE WINS OVER HOPE

The rising tide of Bannon/Trump/Reform/Truss/Farage vile form of populist Nationalism is gaining increasingly more ground in Europe - Macron calls a snap election following the European Election results

Last edited:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Not sure where to post this - sorry for bumping an old thread but this is specifically about the old Penn v Macron battle 6 years down the line

The rising tide of Bannon/Trump/Reform/Truss/Farage vile form of populist Nationalism is gaining ground in Europe - Macron calls a snap election following the European Election results

Scary times. 😨😨

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Europe and the West (including US) have to answer the problem of immigration. It’s that simple. If they don’t the so called far right will win because the people have had enough of it. Far better to deal with it sensibly than allow extreme groups to come into power.

Massive uncontrolled economic population migration across the world needs controlling or the West will be sunk by it to the benefit of the Chinese and Russians.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Europe and the West (including US) have to answer the problem of immigration. It’s that simple. If they don’t the so called far right will win because the people have had enough of it. Far better to deal with it sensibly than allow extreme groups to come into power.

Massive uncontrolled economic population migration across the world needs controlling or the West will be sunk by it to the benefit of the Chinese and Russians.
What is the problem of immigration?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think you have lost the plot, my old fruit. That was clear the other day when you declared yourself for Farage and chums. I though you'd be too young for Strange Old Man obsessions, but one lives and learns. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What is the problem of immigration?
Can't get enough of them in quick enough?

Too brown?

Taking our jobs?

(while) going on the dole?

We cannot control our borders despite having taken back control (from the control we always had)?

Ruel Fox?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Could be a masterstroke from Macron. Calling an election when the right are unprepared. They love to snipe from the sidelines but, if they get elected they have to deliver their promised agenda and, they will then find out how difficult government can be. Is Macron's plan to either to defeat them at the ballot box or to be there ready if le Pen wins but then fucks up government ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

How do you sensibly deal with immigration?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here