Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The four key players for us this season....

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
.... if we want to achieve automatic promotion.

Are, for me.....

1. Glenn Murray

Is still the only striker we possess that can hold the ball up and win flick-ons. Plays the lone striking role brilliantly, which Barnes does not. Barnes always looks lost without him (witness last night). Brings the best out of Barnes.

2. Inigo Calderon

Despite being below his best so far this season, there is no natural replacement for him and he is a hugely important player for us. I still expect great things from him this season.

3. Marcos Painter

Like Calde, there is no natural replacement for him. Look at our record since Painter arrived - it is no coincidence. Big player.

4. Elliott Bennett

Our best player and virtually impossible to replace. It cannot be over-emphasised how much he brings to our team. He is key to everything. Nearly every goal we score seems to involve him in some way. A big injury to Elliott would be devastating for our chances. One of the best footballers in League One.

My point is that while the central midfield is pretty much interchangeable and the centre halves have very capable replacements waiting in the wings, these four don't.

Keep these four fit and available for the majority of the season, and I think we go up automatically. Long term injuries to one or two of them and I think we may have to settle for the play-offs.

In my opinion, like.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hard to disagree with any of that. If we're still in the running for a title charge at Chrimbo, I wouldn't be surprised to see Poyet go shopping for another classy full back in January. He really doesn't want Tarricco pressed into action on the pitch.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fair assessment I concur except I don't think you can ignore the contributions of Messrs El Abd and Elphick.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
He really doesn't want Tarricco pressed into action on the pitch.

I, on the other hand, would love it. Say we get a bit of a gimme in the FA Cup, or a tough run of games and Paints needs a rest and we're up against some no mark side like Dag and Red get him on!

His passion on the bench is unbelievable, would love to see him in the stripes! This opinion was not grounded in sense or footballing opinion.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I would've had Navarro in that list at the start of the season... We seem to be coping well without him which is fairly suprising and a credit to the squad.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hard to disagree with any of the original post. I don't think there is much difference between Ankergren and Brezovan, while Greer is a very good replacement for either centre half (and Dunk looked good at the end of last season). In central midfield we have plenty of options so those four could have a real impact on our season.

I agree about Barnes looking less effective without Murray and would probably start Murray and either of the other two partnering him (Barnes at the moment) or sometimes Murray as lone striker. Would be interested to see how Sandaza plays with Murray at some point. As for Calderon and Painter, as you say our defensive record has improved incredibly in the time they have been here. I thought we needed new centre halves in January and was surprised when Gus brought in two full backs but that is why I am not a football manager. As for Bennett, he is a fantastic player for us and more important than LuaLua, even if Kazenga looks the more exciting.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I would've had Navarro in that list at the start of the season... We seem to be coping well without him which is fairly suprising and a credit to the squad.

the fat-nav isn't missed because both Kish and Bridcutt are far far better. simples

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree completely with the four, however you have to add Lua Lua to the mix as well, and the longer we keep him the better our chances will be.

What he brings is the fear factor. Teams are starting to have to play a style to stop him and as a result that opens up possibilities for others. I think it is arguable that we wouldn't have won the last two games without him. He is special and very hard to replace like for like. If Newcastle recall him before January (can they?) it will have a big impact, if he goes in January it will have some impact. Either way you have to list him alongside the other four I think.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
the fat-nav isn't missed because both Kish and Bridcutt are far far better. simples

Were you living under a rock for the 2nd half of last season? Navarro was superb towards the end.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Were you living under a rock for the 2nd half of last season? Navarro was superb towards the end.

Yes he was. And I was one of Navs biggest naysayers in the first half of the season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's a really tough call if you try to pick just 4 key players.

For me you would have to start with LuaLua simply because he makes such an immense difference and even when he isn't playing well his presence still impacts positively on how the opposition set up against us.

Next would be Calderon as I am possibly the only person who thinks he is actually playing better (or more factually, is exerting more influence on the team) as captain. I think he is outstanding in the example he sets and the sheer energy he displays througout 90 minutes plus. Great tackles in his own box then pops up at the other end - expect him on the scoresheet soon.

Bennett for me is the best all round footballer in the squad. Great crosses, accurate passing, the best dead ball exponent we have had in years - he is involved in most of our best attacking play but is equally adept at covering his fullback. Indeed if needed I could see him becoming an exceptionally talented attacking full back at a higher level than ours.

After much wringing of hands because I wanted to include Adam el Abd for his exemplary defensive play my final selection goes to Glenn Murray because not only is he so important as an outlet for the long ball from Ankergren, holds the ball up, can lay it off effectively with head or feet, brings others into play and of course scores goals; but he has also developed the ability to drop back and put in a shift in defence at corners etc. He seems quicker and sharper this season and also seems to be becoming something of a wiser head than previously. The opportunities Barnes has enjoyed are largely down to Muzza's ability to draw defenders and that pairing could get better and stronger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here