Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The first single you ever brought - post here and be SHAMED

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think some of you are lying and trying to look cool,, Not gonna do that :lol:

Two at the same time around 6 shillings and sixpence each

The Savage by the Shadows
Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen by Neil Sedaka ( pretty sure that this is bordering on a paedo song in retrospect)

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Union Man by The Strawbs. Second one was Mouldy Old Dough By Lieutenant Pigeon - glad that wasnt the first.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
To my eternal shame "Blue is the Colour" by Chelsea FC. :facepalm:

I was already an Albion addict but got caught up in the Chelsea vs Leeds thing in early 70's - honest.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Mine was Geordie too! But I think it was "All Because of You".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The Stones and bands like The Yardbirds brought blues across from the country that was shunning it in favour of Motown. The blue-eyed beat bands around them bordered on 'garage rock', but it was the way that our rock music was formed. Them, Downliners Sect, Manfred Mann, Grahame Bond Organ-ization, Mayall, Artwoods..... and the list goes on. A couple of years later and there was Fleetwood Mac and Cream and Chicken Shack, John Dummer, Aynsley Dunbar, and Taste, and then the styles branched out through Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd and many more.

The Stones requested when they went on the Ed Sullivan show in the US, that Howlin' Wolf got a slot on his show too, which was their way of paying their dues to the original. Here's a clip from a British show;

[yt]ILFjY2mbarg[/yt]

Good to have some informed comment on here. I am currently reading a biography of Jack Bruce (for those too young to know, he was bass player with Cream and in my view the most talented of the three). Fascinating about that era. I read a biographt of Clapton a couple of years ago, wgich left me thinking what an absolute a**e he had been for a lot of the time. The Jack Bruce book is much more about the music.

Good to have some informed comment on here. I am currently reading a biography of Jack Bruce (for those too young to know, he was bass player with Cream and in my view the most talented of the three). Fascinating about that era. I read a biographt of Clapton a couple of years ago, wgich left me thinking what an absolute a**e he had been for a lot of the time. The Jack Bruce book is much more about the music.

I read Clapton's autobiography and just thought he was a self-absorbed careless twat overall, no loyalty just full of his own overhyped ego. He's clearly talented but that got overshadowed somewhat.
I met Jack Bruce at his band's gig at House of Blues and got him to sign my Grahame Bond lps (a pal had won tix and green-room passes). Ginger Baker was always enigmatic in those bands, and Bruce's vocals weren't too shabby either.

Did you ever listen to the 'BLT' band material?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
musical20youth.jpg

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Well I bought 'Heart Full Of Soul' by The Yardbirds 2nd-hand at The Cottage.
The first new 45 I got full-price was Dave and Ansil Collins 'Double Barrel'

Completely different music from each other, but I still like those tunes

I loved The Cottage. In the 70s it was a wonderland of gate-fold sleeves with dodgy artwork at affordable prices sold to you by a pair of charming confirmed bachelors. However, my first 45 was 'She Loves You' by The Beatles when I was 4, I was forced to sing the chorus in the shop (somewhere in Worthing) as my parents didn't know the title. My family left the country for a number of years and the next one I can remember buying is 'I Hear Your Knockin;' by Dave Edmunds Rockpile,

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Can't remember the order but think it was The 1970 World Cup Squad single-Back Home followed by Ride a White Swan by T. Rex.

I loved The Cottage. In the 70s it was a wonderland of gate-fold sleeves with dodgy artwork at affordable prices sold to you by a pair of charming confirmed bachelors. However, my first 45 was 'She Loves You' by The Beatles when I was 4, I was forced to sing the chorus in the shop (somewhere in Worthing) as my parents didn't know the title. My family left the country for a number of years and the next one I can remember buying is 'I Hear Your Knockin;' by Dave Edmunds Rockpile,

When I used to flip through those singles, I remember thinking "if I knew now what music was on these obscure titles I've never ever heard of, I would probably be worth a fortune one day in the future".
Now I do own a collection of highly-sought records, but it took for them to become public knowledge much later, and some did cost me a fortune!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
*Cough* Crazy Horses by The Osmonds ...

What's worse is that I only got that because Tie A Yellow Ribbon by Dawn was out of stock.

:wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here