Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Falmer Roadshow

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
If he is pulling the purse strings when we get to Falmer, which I doubt. I believe that he will still be Chairman of the Football Club but not the company that owns it by then.

Er, Mr BG, now that it looks likely that Carson Yeung will not be buying Birmingham City, indeed David Gold is apparently quite keen to stay now that he has got Alex McLeish in place and the team is performing better, who exactly do you think will be in charge? The likes of Bill Brown haven't shown any obvious interest. And I'm sure you'll get your John Smiths Smooth in the main bars.

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
We (Falmer For All team) suggested Hove Town Hall for the venue.
Incidentally, spoke to DK last night - he is 100% in favour of the fans' pub - it will happen

Fans pub! brilliant, now I can combine my two favorite activities, getting (a little) drunk and supporting The Albion at the same time.

Bloody marvelous.:albion2::drink::albion2::drink:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Brian

- Plans are currently being drawn up
- Location of fans' bar has been identified
- DK is the chairman

....let's wait and see

I had already posted that the fans bar had been mentioned at the AGM last August on here.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Er, Mr BG, now that it looks likely that Carson Yeung will not be buying Birmingham City, indeed David Gold is apparently quite keen to stay now that he has got Alex McLeish in place and the team is performing better, who exactly do you think will be in charge? The likes of Bill Brown haven't shown any obvious interest. And I'm sure you'll get your John Smiths Smooth in the main bars.

I am not banking on David Gold taking over but I am sure that somebody else will, and that DK will be football club chairman. I do not believe that he can get anywhere near financing Falmer, even with all of the grants they are chasing. I believe that it will need a seriously wealthy major investor or company to come in to make Falmer come to fruition.

Incidentally I do not drink John Smiths Smooth I drink Real Ale but not Harveys, actually I prefer London Pride or Timothy Taylors landlord which is my favourite. I was just stating the obvious that the bars will have a national product simply because of the money involved, so it will be either Carlsberg and Tetleys Smooth or Fosters and John Smith Smooth.

Bill Brown has shown no interest in becoming a director but has kept the club afloat for the last couple of years I am told.

I was just stating the obvious that the bars will have a national product simply because of the money involved, so it will be either Carlsberg and Tetleys Smooth or Fosters and John Smith Smooth.
No doubt.

But can I repeat what Attila has said? The fans' pub - it will happen.

If it happens, it needn't be run by the stadium franchisees.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No doubt.

But can I repeat what Attila has said? The fans' pub - it will happen.

If it happens, it needn't be run by the stadium franchisees.

I hope that it does in which case I may get my real ale I just hope that they do not put it out to Harveys to run. Could it not be run on the same terms as a normal working mens club by The Supporters club and an elected committee.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No doubt we will have Attila's favourite ale as well, still since I have switched to bitter and if it is Harveys then it will be good.

I would just so love the food the be franchised to Uncle Sams.

I hope that it does in which case I may get my real ale I just hope that they do not put it out to Harveys to run. Could it not be run on the same terms as a normal working mens club by The Supporters club and an elected committee.
I would suggest a Community Interest Company (CIC) - one of the new forms of member-controlled Social Enterprise organisations that are committed to dedicating their profits to things that benefit the community.

http://www.cicregulator.gov.uk/

Community Interest Companies (CICS) are limited companies, with special additional features, created for the use of people who want to conduct a business or other activity for community benefit, and not purely for private advantage. This is achieved by a "community interest test" and "asset lock", which ensure that the CIC is established for community purposes and the assets and profits are dedicated to these purposes. Registration of a company as a CIC has to be approved by the Regulator who also has a continuing monitoring and enforcement role.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And as for the "real ale" debate ... whoever suggested just one variety?

The brewers reccomendations are that they will not install a beer and pump unless you can sell 9 gals in 3 days.

Obviously that would not be a problem on matchdays but if you take now as an example, we would have sold loads last night but none until the Gillingham game in 2 weeks time, unless it was open everyday, and who would use it on a Mon - Thur unless a game or some other function was taking place.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Obviously that would not be a problem on matchdays but if you take now as an example, we would have sold loads last night but none until the Gillingham game in 2 weeks time, unless it was open everyday, and who would use it on a Mon - Thur unless a game or some other function was taking place.

You've very clearly never seen the level of trade a supporters club bar can put through.

The answer is "more than enough to keep the lines flowing", anyway.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Timothy Taylors landlord which is my favourite.

Not strictly a bitter though is it? More of a light ale. Tim Taylors special bitter is a girly drink that is far too sweet to be taken seriously. They sell it in the Tap.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You've very clearly never seen the level of trade a supporters club bar can put through.

With due respect I would suggest that you stick to computers and sky which you appear to know something about rather than bars which you obviously do not.

As mentioned earlier, when I had my Stocktaking company which was in addition to having a pub, we had amongst our clients Stadia Catering who provided the bars and restaurants for, amongst others Ipswich Town and Wolves, they were the ones that we were responsible for. I know from personal experience the amount of beer that was written off because it didnt sell quick enough and that ios taking into account the bars being open everyday. As they were football stadiums [predomin antly people did not usde them during the week unless the bar/restaurant was booked for a specific party. I t reached the poin where Stadia Catering withdrew the real ale and replaced it with longer lasting keg beer, purely for financial viability reasons.

Eventually Tolly Cobbold did a deal with Ipswich to supply real ale for match days,only on a basis of when it was gone it was gone so it invariably ran out during the game or just after so as not to waste too much.

So real aler in a supporters bar that is not used for perhaps 2 weeks will take a lot of consideration and will probably result ina similar occurrence as to what happened at Ipswich x amount is delivered and when it is sold it is finished until the next game, and fresh stock installed about Thursday so that it is ready for Saturday, obviously this will change for a midweek game.

I would add I have had pubs since 1968 and pride myself on the real ale that I have served.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not strictly a bitter though is it? More of a light ale. Tim Taylors special bitter is a girly drink that is far too sweet to be taken seriously. They sell it in the Tap.

Except for the ABV, light Ale is about 3.% Taylors Landlord is 4% +, not sure of the exact abv because I drink by taste rather than the strength and I prefer that and also Fullers London Pride to some of the stronger beers like Fullers ESB.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
With due respect I would suggest that you stick to computers and sky which you appear to know something about rather than bars which you obviously do not.

As mentioned earlier, when I had my Stocktaking company which was in addition to having a pub, we had amongst our clients Stadia Catering who provided the bars and restaurants for, amongst others Ipswich Town and Wolves, they were the ones that we were responsible for. I know from personal experience the amount of beer that was written off because it didnt sell quick enough and that ios taking into account the bars being open everyday. As they were football stadiums [predomin antly people did not usde them during the week unless the bar/restaurant was booked for a specific party. I t reached the poin where Stadia Catering withdrew the real ale and replaced it with longer lasting keg beer, purely for financial viability reasons.

Eventually Tolly Cobbold did a deal with Ipswich to supply real ale for match days,only on a basis of when it was gone it was gone so it invariably ran out during the game or just after so as not to waste too much.

So real aler in a supporters bar that is not used for perhaps 2 weeks will take a lot of consideration and will probably result ina similar occurrence as to what happened at Ipswich x amount is delivered and when it is sold it is finished until the next game, and fresh stock installed about Thursday so that it is ready for Saturday, obviously this will change for a midweek game.

I would add I have had pubs since 1968 and pride myself on the real ale that I have served.
Brian - quick one before heading out to imbibe some of the very stuff in the sentence below.
I have already talked to Dark Star re they doing all installation/beer maintenance and keeping the beer in tip top nick 7 days a week. We think we could generate the traffic, they think it's a goer.......

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

If the club bar isn't restricted too much to opening hours during the week there are still ways to bring in the punters , quiz nights , darts , pool , snooker. It might be too expensive however to show live footie games on the TV's but all the wives could sit in the corner watching the soaps whilst we talk about important things.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Then presumably it could be sold from a barrel on the bar, as the Dome do for concerts. I've had very well kept Harveys there, and last time I went they had Dark Star, which was selling extremely well, despite all the lager on sale.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Worked in them in various roles, albeit mainly as DJ, since I was 14 and members of my family either currently own or have owned/run pubs in both Ireland and the UK. You seem to assume that anyone who hasn't run a pub directly isn't going to know anything about the industry, and dismiss anyone who has any other suggestions.

Your examples do not cover a supporters club bar, but stadium run bars. I know of examples of actual supporters club run bars which are perfectly capable of operating as a normal pub would, turnover wise. I've never seen the St. Patricks Athletic pub (Richmond House - attached to Richmond Park) anywhere close to empty. The user on here "Liam" would know of the actual figures involved in the Shelbourne bar, which is physically in the main stand of the stadium.

However they're not as far outside the city as Falmer will be, that would have to be taken in to account.

I specifically said you've clearly never seen the trade a supporters club bar can put through and you've gone and proven you haven't. Point made.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brian - quick one before heading out to imbibe some of the very stuff in the sentence below.
I have already talked to Dark Star re they doing all installation/beer maintenance and keeping the beer in tip top nick 7 days a week. We think we could generate the traffic, they think it's a goer.......

John
Whilst I do not doubt Dark Star one little bit, although I should because my wife said I was pissed after drinking their beer at The Wellington on the Seagulls night, I wonder whether it will be viable to open during the week because of the location of FALMER miles from anywhere.

As I said I hope that it happens.

Do they do a sensible session bitter that oldies like me can drink to contentment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here