Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fall and Fall Of Adam Virgo

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Saw Burton at home to Bristol Rovers today
Virgo now a sub, having been dropped from a starting place a few games into the season
McGhee remembering the 04/05 season used him as a sub for last 5 minutes or so as a striker, replaced another one of our ex players Anyinsah
A few years ago, you would have thought he would have settled at a higher level than mid to bottom end of league 2
Another one (as well as Adams) that should probably of not come back for a second time

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
It's a shame how sportspeople fade

Cliff Thorburn is now the snooker pro on a cruise liner ???

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Saw him in town in the summer, asked him if he'd be playing up front again under McGhee.

His response? "I bloody hope not!"

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
One of the nicest players I have met, I wish him all the best and hope he goes somewhere soonish and is a first team regular

Oct 25, 2003
mcghee didn't manage anyinsah or did i misread the original post?

mcghee was the first manager to deploy virgo as a striker though (he'd played as right back before) with a reasonable amount of success

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Great player for us and top bloke, best position was cb but it shows how desperate we were for goals to put him upfront!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
mcghee didn't manage anyinsah or did i misread the original post?

mcghee was the first manager to deploy virgo as a striker though (he'd played as right back before) with a reasonable amount of success

esp at Leicester 0-1, 33/1 first/last scorer as Ladbrokes weren't told about the plan, perhaps they were trying again today!?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Was very unlucky in terms of circumstances when he moved to Celtic (MOM in second start, but Strachan under a lot of pressure in his first season and didn't give many young players a game), and it just seems to have gone downhill from there. Real shame.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How we got a million for him I'll never know

£1.5 I believe and I suspect the respective managers did well out of this deal

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
i saw JFC play against Cheltenham tuesday night and he looked like the best player in a poor Oxford team - thought they would do better this season

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
AVs big mistake was joining the Great Unwashed, albeit we stole £1 1/2 m off them for him (I think that was the sum, please correct me if I am wrong). The Ginger Midget (Strachan) then proceeded not to play him and AV lost his edge.
As someone said, top bloke and scorer of some timely great goals for us (Leicester from outside the box I seem to recall).

All the best to him.

TNBA

TTF

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
i saw JFC play against Cheltenham tuesday night and he looked like the best player in a poor Oxford team - thought they would do better this season

They've CLEARLY missed Andrew Whing. I understand he is back, so that's problem solved for them now I would have thought. I'm looking forward to watching Oxford vs Port Vale on monday night live on the televisual box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here