Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of the Sheff Weds v Bristol City game

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Weds are 2-3 down in the closing seconds.

They have a decent claim for a penalty turned down.

As the protests to the ref are continuing, the ball gets smashed into the net.

The ref disallows the goal for unsportsmanlike conduct at the penalty protests.

Never seen this happen before.

Dave Jones isn't the luckiest manager in the world!

Anyone see this?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Ooo-err. Unless the ref had blown his whistle to stop play to caution one of the players for dissent, the game should have continued and the goal ought to have stood.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
ref has got that wrong if he hasn't blown but he could always say he just "blew late". Personally I have no sympathy as I am of the view that football should copy rugby and go for zero tolerance on abuse of refs. I really dont understand why they allow it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Saw brief TV highlights of the build up and a couple of Sheff Weds players appear to be in the face of the Ref protesting I think about a handball by a City defender in their penalty area, meanwhile play carries on and the ball ends in the City net.

Can understand why Weds players would be upset but perhaps the Ref may have been unsighted just before the disallowed goal and/or possibly receiving some verbals so wasn't surprised that he blew up. Maybe the Weds players should have played to the whistle rather than harang / distract the Ref? Did a player (wearing the headguard) even lay hands on the Ref?

Haven't heard the Ref's side of things though.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Serves that donkey Llera right for going mental at the ref when he should have been concentrating on the game.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
ref has got that wrong if he hasn't blown but he could always say he just "blew late". Personally I have no sympathy as I am of the view that football should copy rugby and go for zero tolerance on abuse of refs. I really dont understand why they allow it.

agree with this

In fact I would like football to copy rugby alot more

players injured get immediate attenion,not wait for the ref,while the game continues

that way,genuine injuries get prompt attenion,while the cheaters gain no advantage

also the duration of the match,a clear countdown,90 minutes next time the ball is out of play,game over

any backchat to the ref,move the free kick 10 metres forward,stop all this nonsense instantly

football has alot to learn from rugby

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Shef Weds :lolol:

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
agree with this

players injured get immediate attenion,not wait for the ref,while the game continues

that way,genuine injuries get prompt attenion,while the cheaters gain no advantage

also the duration of the match,a clear countdown,90 minutes next time the ball is out of play,game over

any backchat to the ref,move the free kick 10 metres forward,stop all this nonsense instantly

They tried the moving 10 yards forward for back chat a few years ago didn't they?

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
agree with this

I've been saying this to my mates for some time. There are many sports where only the Captain can speak to the ref and if football actually applied its own rules then there would be no issues. However, 6-a-side after 20 minutes may be unacceptable. But it would only take a couple of matches of being down to 8 players after 20 minutes (are you listening Alex Ferguson?) before the message got home loud and clear.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If I were a Wednesday fan I would be offended by the players behaviour. Ignore respecting the referee and all that - the ball was still in play, the attack was still going, and two or three players abandoned the attack to harangue the ref. They turned their back on the ball and cost themselves a goal. Any one of them could have scored, and it would have counted if they did not turn their back on the play.

Something similar happened in another game on TV a few weeks back. I'm a little sketchy on who was involved, and whether a goal resulted, but there was an attack that included some offence in the box, and one of the players turned away from the game to get in the ref's face, and the ball was still in play and played back across the box (again, can't remember if someone else scored, or if he would have been in position), but it is very worrying. We already have players and managers who feel it is their duty to referee the game alongside the actual ref, but this growing trend for not even waiting for the ball to go out of play before trying to tell the ref how to do his job is something I find unpleasant.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They are in a real mess but Dave Jones sadly is not the man to get them out of it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Serves that donkey Llera right for going mental at the ref when he should have been concentrating on the game.
-

Totally ... after their posturing before our game I've taken a real dislike to this lot ... it's now the first (mostly) result I look for and I snigger every time. They can go back to L1 thank you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here