Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The difference Slade has brought to the team

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Is it possible that Salde picks his teram based on a mix of talent and commitement. Fraser Loft and OGH have got their chances because although they may not have the talent of others they are really committed... and up to now they have done us proud. For me Loft has finally been given the chance he deserved and Slade has convinced me he deserves a contract when this short one expires.... Just hope he'll wnat to take it... wherever we are.

He wants the job. After match comment from RS was that we are the best fans he has had at a club. You don't say that if you are not after the job. If he keeps us up the only problem may be another club making him an offer he cannot refuse.

Mar 4, 2008
Burgess Hill!
Everyone on NSC is agreeing! Surely somebody has to disagree:rolleyes:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My only reservation about RS is his use of subs. Yesterday the substitution of Elphick was forced on him as TE got injured early in in the game, in fact I thought that he was going to go off then but he hung on till halftime. Whether or not we will suffer asa result of the delay in a substituting him we shall have to wait and see.

I could not see why he changed Fraser for Jarret as it did nothing to improve us and as both Hart and Owuso were showing signs iof tiredness I think he would havwe done better to have madea double substitution of the 2 front men for Andrew and Davies.

Could this be White and Bookers influence or am I blaming them when its not their call.

I cannot remember him making a substitution that has had a material positive effect on the game. I am sure that somebody will point an example of when this has happened. Other than this I am pleased with his contribution and would not object to him being given the job full time.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Positional defending and covering is a key part of midfield football.

I think that's the sort of thing you only realise if you play football yourself.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think that's the sort of thing you only realise if you play football yourself.

Like so many things! Anyone who hasn't ever played football will have a such a poor understanding of the game... Which is fine, so long as they don't pretend to be some kind of genius about the theory of the game!

Only when you've played left back on a cold tuesday night and lost 4-1 (what a cross from that left back for the goal btw :clap2: ) can you fully understand how difficult the game is.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
:clap:

Spot on Dave - possibly the most sensible football tactics comment ever made on NSC! And how well it works with big Lloyd and Harty as the front two; they really get in the faces of the centre-halves, and then the midfielder work their socks off to get that second ball.

For me Russell also has some other superb qualities, man-management, passion, motivational ability and more.

lets keep him then whatever happens

Agreed on Dicker; Russell and Dick did the deal BTW.
ditto

Everyone on NSC is agreeing! Surely somebody has to disagree:rolleyes:

shows just what a bit of passion from the players does for fans eh!

Mar 4, 2008
Burgess Hill!
True, all we want is a bit of passion and hard work and Slade has delivered it!

My brother a scarboro fan ( yep they are still about ) reckoned that slade was the best manager they ever had .

Listening to him yesterday he has passion for the Albion something missing from MA he wants them to be there fighting he was commitment but hes honest as well ..as he said in the radio interview when asked about northamptons 3 points he commented that he could do nothing about what the other teams have done its up to the players to show they want to stay up he can only train them and guide them from the side lines but it is those on the pitch for 90 minutes that prove it

he should be awarded a contract wherever we are hes instilled belief and when asked about the fans he was impressed he wants Albion higher then then league one and i think he will if given the back up get us there!!

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I like Russell because he tells it like it is - he expects commitment, passion and drive and the players have responded. I also enjoy listening to his post match comments - he is like a breath of fresh air after MA. Give the man a contract or someone else will!!!

:bowdown:

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I could not see why he changed Fraser for Jarret as it did nothing to improve us.

Could this be White and Bookers influence or am I blaming them when its not their call.

Jarrett offers extra height to defend set-plays, which Oldham were causing major problems with in that ten-minute spell just prior to his intro.

As someone who works within the club I can't understand the utter garbage posted about Dean White and Bob Booker by people who do not see them at work six or seven days a week, or in the dressing room before, during and after games. They are the same backroom staff who were good enough for Steve Coppell, Mark McGhee (one promotion, one relegation), Peter Taylor (one promotion) and Micky Adams (one promotion). Dean White also was part of last season's coaching set up. Surely it is the manager's opinion that counts and Russell Slade seems pretty happy with the set up.

Baffles me. :shrug:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Within minutes of taking off Frazer we conceded, I reckon we could have got a clean sheet if he'd stayed on.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Within minutes of taking off Fraser we conceded, I reckon we could have got a clean sheet if he'd stayed on.

Don't think the goal had anything to do with Fraser not being there, or Jarrett being there. Jarrett may have to play right-back Tuesday, so the half hour yesterday might have been beneficial.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My only reservation about RS is his use of subs. Yesterday the substitution of Elphick was forced on him as TE got injured early in in the game, in fact I thought that he was going to go off then but he hung on till halftime. Whether or not we will suffer asa result of the delay in a substituting him we shall have to wait and see.

I could not see why he changed Fraser for Jarret as it did nothing to improve us and as both Hart and Owuso were showing signs iof tiredness I think he would havwe done better to have madea double substitution of the 2 front men for Andrew and Davies.

I cannot remember him making a substitution that has had a material positive effect on the game. I am sure that somebody will point an example of when this has happened. Other than this I am pleased with his contribution and would not object to him being given the job full time.

I imagine that was the plan and it worked so well at Colchester, but the midfield was being overrun and our forwards were not even getting the ball so it had to be a change in midfield.

The tactic worked well at Colchester so was a successful substition(s). having 3 subs makes it a tactical games and players 7 fans need to get away from the stigma of being substituted as a sign of not being good enough. If you can plan certain players to run themselves into the ground for 60 mins and then replace them then that's good tactics to me.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

mmm if you'd seen me play park football it would have been like watching a teletubby on mogadon.

I have a problem with some posters on here who make confident pronouncements criticising various players and obviously watch real football as if it's on tv and assume all you have to do is follow the ball.

Perhaps the club should organise some coaching sessions for these NSC windbags so that they might learn a bit about the game before making inane, negative comments about hard-working midfield players. (This is a semi-serious point!)

Respect to Granny Weatherwax, Dandyman, Insider, Conboy and others for speaking intelligently about the game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jarrett offers extra height to defend set-plays, which Oldham were causing major problems with in that ten-minute spell just prior to his intro.

As someone who works within the club I can't understand the utter garbage posted about Dean White and Bob Booker by people who do not see them at work six or seven days a week, or in the dressing room before, during and after games. They are the same backroom staff who were good enough for Steve Coppell, Mark McGhee (one promotion, one relegation), Peter Taylor (one promotion) and Micky Adams (one promotion). Dean White also was part of last season's coaching set up. Surely it is the manager's opinion that counts and Russell Slade seems pretty happy with the set up.

Baffles me. :shrug:

Football is a game of opinions and much as you may have considered that Jarrett offered more in terms of his height and defending I cannot see that as I do not think that it made any difference whatsoever in that respect when the substitution was made.

Furthermore I did say that I was possibly blaming DW and BB when it was not actually their decision but whilst praising them it must be remembered that BB was paid off once by the club, presumably for not being good enough or not being required to be brought back by Micky Adams and also they have been an integral part of the managerial/coaching set up that has got us into the bottom 3 this season.

Is Russel Slade happy with the set up or does he just accept it as a condition of the job as he was an out of work manager who was hardly in a position to call the tune if he wanted to work again in football? Only one person knows the answer to that!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well said.
I think most of us now realise that a change of management at Xmas would have resulted in comfortable survival. RS is clearly a very good man-manager and the spirits of everyone have been lifted.
Even worse case scenario we go down...the club will start next season buzzing, with confidence high.
If we stay up, then DK and the rest of the board can breathe a huge sigh of relief that they have ' got away with it ' after their misguided decision to bring in somebody who let the club, the fans and himself down with 7-8 months of the worst mismanagement I have ever seen.

Totally agree!!:ascarf:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Bollocks. Just because someone criticises a player it doesn't mean that a) they don't understand the game, or b) the player in question is good enough. It's a fact of football - some players will be good enough, others won't. Even Manchester United have players not up to the required standard so you shouldn't be so sensitive about a bit of criticism dished out to players marooned in the relegation zone of the third division.

And if you're going to constantly run down certain players why should other people agree with your opinions? This thread was meant to be about the positives that Russell Slade has brought to the team. You and others chose to turn it another opportunity to air prejudices against individual players.

Slade has to pick a team not choose the 11 best players. He has to get the best out of all the players in situations where, for example, ElAbd has to replace Elphick or Whing.

If Fraser does little on the ball but denies space to their midfield, prevents them from running at our defence from deep (as so many teams have done this season) and supports players on the ball, he's probably doing a good job.

This season the only player I've moaned about on here is Hawkins because I didn't like the way that the Elphick /Lynch partnership was broken up. When I posted about this, quite rightly there were many who disagreed with me. Hawkins was obviously not the only reason for bad results.

If you and the many other more extreme miserabilists are going to slag off players there are bound to be people who disagree with you. In the end, Slade's opinions are more interesting than yours or mine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here