Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The difference Slade has brought to the team

RS has been a complete breath of fresh air from the minute he arrived.

His attitude, approach, comments, selections and most of all - team play - have been a huge improvement on what we had to endure for most of this season.

He has got players playing football and it isn't rocket science. Some of the team on Saturday would never have been considered 'acceptable' at the beginning of the season and he has got them playing with pride, passion and belief.

You only have to listen to his pre and post match comments and generally he is spot on with what is right and what isn't. He manages to convery that to the players and hey presto you have more entertaining football than pretty much anything the previous manager was capable of producing.

Whether or not he can do the impossible and keep us up remains to be seen but at least he has given us a chance and a few weeks ago few on here thought that would be likely.

Good job Russell :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I haven't seen us play under Slade but I do think his Seagulls World post match interviews are a breath of fresh air. He comes across as very honest, and he takes responsibility when things f*** up. Can you imagine Slade saying "well it was LEEDS we were playing" or similar nonsense when we've been easily beaten at home by a mid table team? Of course not.
Equally, he doesn't hide his delight when the players play well. I like that - good man-management, great motivating.

But the best thing about Slade is that he isn't that twat, Micky Adams. I doubt Slade will be moaning about Premiership "designer managers" when we're 5 points clear at the top of league one in January next year. :thumbsup:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Another bollocks argument is this "you have to play football to understand it." Well EVERYONE on here has played football, so I presume this argument is really jokers like Conboy saying you have to have played at a particular level (translated as I quite fancy myself as a footballer so I'm going to presume noone else has reached the heights of whatever park I own on a Sunday morning). In that case, what is the required level before you understand football? Because if it's anything above park level then you're effectively saying that 99% of football fans/nsc posters know NOTHING about the game they watch each week.

So you haven’t heard of positional defending and covering in midfield? Fraser does it well if you haven't.

As much as your prejudices have led you to believe he is a non-league player Fraser can do a good job in midfield if managed well.

Oh and by the way that's not what I'm saying. I mentioned nothing about the LEVEL of football you play at. You unsurprisingly chose to not include that in your response.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think Slade has done fantastically to turn it round recently and hope he stays even if we go down. The biggest difference is the midfield. He has used the same players who were non existent against MK Dons (Fraser, Loft, Cox and Dicker) but is playing them in a way that suits them.

Obviously I realise MK were better that day than the teams we have played since but at that point it looked like we would never win again. To go from that situation and 8 points from safety to three wins from four and one point from safety in just over two weeks is brilliant.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
My brother a scarboro fan ( yep they are still about ) reckoned that slade was the best manager they ever had .

Listening to him yesterday he has passion for the Albion something missing from MA he wants them to be there fighting he was commitment but hes honest as well ..as he said in the radio interview when asked about northamptons 3 points he commented that he could do nothing about what the other teams have done its up to the players to show they want to stay up he can only train them and guide them from the side lines but it is those on the pitch for 90 minutes that prove it

he should be awarded a contract wherever we are hes instilled belief and when asked about the fans he was impressed he wants Albion higher then then league one and i think he will if given the back up get us there!!

Brighton fans have always respected passion and effort. Good football is always a bonus.

Russell Slade shows that and brings it to the players.

I hope he stays whatever happens. Let's face it, it is hardly his fault that we are where we are and have the current squad.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I haven't seen us play under Slade but I do think his Seagulls World post match interviews are a breath of fresh air. He comes across as very honest, and he takes responsibility when things f*** up. Can you imagine Slade saying "well it was LEEDS we were playing" or similar nonsense when we've been easily beaten at home by a mid table team? Of course not.
Equally, he doesn't hide his delight when the players play well. I like that - good man-management, great motivating.

But the best thing about Slade is that he isn't that twat, Micky Adams. I doubt Slade will be moaning about Premiership "designer managers" when we're 5 points clear at the top of league one in January next year. :thumbsup:

Please stop with this "twat" nonsense.

He was bad second time around, but he will always be the man that managed the first Albion team I saw win a trophy.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Sir Alf Ramsey was once asked about the non-selection of a player in a world cup game (it might have been Jimmy Greaves). His curt response was "I don't pick the best players - I pick the best team."

Would you have guessed at the beginning of the season that a Brighton team with a midfied including Loft and Frazer would have performed the way they have. Slade's man management skills are not disputed. They are probably the reason for Cox's return to form. What impresses me is that he has a system of playing that is so far removed from the dross that we were seeing this season and he achieves it by putting round pegs into round holes.

He's had no time at all to make it happen and has only been able to work with what he found when he came to the club. If he fails to keep us from relegation, it should not count against him. He should be offered a contract right now. I am so gutted because Slade has clearly shown what a disasterous regime we endured for too long under Adams.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
We lost five of our first seven games under Slade. During that time, Slade had to assess which of the players were committed to the cause. Now he knows which players won't shirk the challenge of keeping the club in the division. Now we are seeing a fiercely-committed Brighton side, which wasn't the case three weeks ago.

Slade's management of Craig Davies has been exemplary. I'm sure that Davies is self-motivated, but the manager must have made the right noises to a player whose confidence was shot away after the MKD game, because the striker's body language and demeanour has been much more positive in the four games since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here