Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The demise of Liverpool

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I've never understood this "knowledgeable" fans talk. Knowledgeable about what exactly? I've worked in Liverpool for the last 8 years and work with many Liverpool fans, some season ticket holders, some just "fans". I have never found any of them more knowledgeable about football than anyone else. None of them know which division we play in for example.

There is a general feeling that they have a right to be challenging at the top of the league and none of them can see that Benitez was a disaster who pissed all their money against the wall by buying crap players (£20m on Robbie Keane FFS). They insist on blaming their terrible owners who seem to have supported the manager financially as far as I can see. Aren't they the third highest net spenders in the Premiership?

And if you think there are moaners on this board you should meet any Everton fan. Christ they are a bitter lot.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
With such rich history and great support, it will only be a matter of time until the club is sold to a billionaire who will invest the money to take them back to the glory days. Its not the way they would like it done but that's football now and no one will hear any complaints.

And with the current LFC fans efforts the owners will be out sooner rather than later.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I've never understood this "knowledgeable" fans talk. Knowledgeable about what exactly? I've worked in Liverpool for the last 8 years and work with many Liverpool fans, some season ticket holders, some just "fans". I have never found any of them more knowledgeable about football than anyone else. None of them know which division we play in for example.

There is a general feeling that they have a right to be challenging at the top of the league and none of them can see that Benitez was a disaster who pissed all their money against the wall by buying crap players (£20m on Robbie Keane FFS). They insist on blaming their terrible owners who seem to have supported the manager financially as far as I can see. Aren't they the third highest net spenders in the Premiership?

And if you think there are moaners on this board you should meet any Everton fan. Christ they are a bitter lot.

Beneitez won 4 trophies in his first two season, including the biggest club trophy in the world, thats why Liverpool fans have undying respect for him. And Liverpool have made a profit in every single transfer window under the new owners, and have to sell to buy, so the £ they have spent hasn't been on building a new squad, its been with replacing players that have been sold, who weren't good enough, but you only have the £ that they generated, so effectively can only buy players of the same standard.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
If they sort out getting the Yanks out. Bring in someone who is geniune on bringing in funds for new players, sort out their debt and build their new Stadium. Which is part of the 2018 World Cup bid, then at this moment in time Liverpool former glories will never return. They'll see the end of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres next summer if they fail to win anything this season. The Fa Cup is the only cup they can possibly win this season because them winning the league is completely beyond them. At the moment they're sinking like the Titantic, and it is very sad to see.

Good to see someone with some sense and no resentment towards the most successful club in England, who's fans have to be admired right from the 60s.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Agree with this.

I am a million miles away from enjoying their demise. They've spent VERY badly and sold badly too. This is partly down to the owners green-lighting purchases but a great deal can be placed directly at Benitez's door.

Owners will tell him if he's permitted to spend but what on is the manager's look-out and Rafa Benitez has been truly woeful in his choices, equally so in his man-management.

In principle, he's a good manager and when all's said and done he did win the ultimate domestic prize with The Reds, in much less time than 'Sir' Phallus Ferguson...it is on achievements such as this that managers are ultimately remembered...but from that moment on he only achieves respect for a close-run 2nd place in 2008-9.

Take out the current owners and Benitez's wastefulness (and disasterous media persona) and you are left with a proud club of fantastic history, a reputation for loyalty to and patience with its managers and a set of fans who are both highly knowledgable and oozing class.

Forget the knuckleheads who attention seek with their over-dramatised drivel and unintelligent rants on the airwaves (if you judge their fanbase by phone-ins then you can also surmise that the lower leagues don't have a single fan between them, West Ham fans are all taxi-driving amateur comedians and that ManUre fans are ALL from outside Manc (ridiculous misconception / urban myth...although they do have an unsavoury number of those tourist fans and those that are from the city tend to be utter twats).

Yes Liverpool dominated football in the 80s (even more than ManUre did in the 90s) and it was boring for the neutral, but aside from their standard allocation of hoolies and muppets (every club has them), there wasn't really anything to despise about them as a club.

Any notion that they were dirty - Souness, McMahon, Tommy Smith etc - simply fits the description of any number of others from that era.

My memories of their fans are of them applauding quality play from the opposition, gracefulness in victory or defeat vs smaller clubs and friendly whenever I've come across them...and yes I do think a lot of them do have a warming, if not great, sense of humour.

Not all bitter grumps on here then! Great post mate.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Liverpool have the best fans in the world,and some of the best footballing history.
Jealousy is a destructive thing.
Everything goes in cycles and Liverpool will be back bigger and stronger than ever.

Feb 14, 2010
Liverpool have the best fans in the world,and some of the best footballing history.
Jealousy is a destructive thing.
Everything goes in cycles and Liverpool will be back bigger and stronger than ever.

yeah right, do you believe everything you read in the newspapers? You were not at Heysel then obviously, and before they sart,they can stop blaming the stadium for the scousers rioting. Nobody asked them to. If that had been Millwall they would have closed the club down. You dont remember them getting us kicked out of Europe, but I do. As for humour, you name a funny scouse comedian, Ken bloody Dodd? I will raise you brighton's own Max Miller. Silly scousers with an unwarranted high opinion of themselves. We all owe a great debt to Souness who started the decline, but remember they were a nothing club until the late 60s and are now again also rans.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
yeah right, do you believe everything you read in the newspapers? You were not at Heysel then obviously, and before they sart,they can stop blaming the stadium for the scousers rioting. Nobody asked them to. If that had been Millwall they would have closed the club down. You dont remember them getting us kicked out of Europe, but I do. As for humour, you name a funny scouse comedian, Ken bloody Dodd? I will raise you brighton's own Max Miller. Silly scousers with an unwarranted high opinion of themselves. We all owe a great debt to Souness who started the decline, but remember they were a nothing club until the late 60s and are now again also rans.

You really are an idiot, so bitter you feel that a praise of something not Brighton is an insult to it. It's not like Liverpool fans don't take responsibility of Heysel is it? And it was it every Liverpool fan in world? Every scouser? Grow up you whopper.

Feb 14, 2010
You really are an idiot, so bitter you feel that a praise of something not Brighton is an insult to it. It's not like Liverpool fans don't take responsibility of Heysel is it? And it was it every Liverpool fan in world? Every scouser? Grow up you whopper.

No mate, Im happy to praise any club, including United, and even Liverpool, but the bollocks talked about friendly chirpy. football knowing scousers is utter press drivel. Scousers still have not owned up for Heysel, an oh yes, just imagine if that had been Millwall. Arabella writing for the mail would have had a field day, but as its the scousers, oh no, it was someone else's fault. That is an observation made by many a Millwall fan, and its an observation, not bitter

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
No mate, Im happy to praise any club, including United, and even Liverpool, but the bollocks talked about friendly chirpy. football knowing scousers is utter press drivel. Scousers still have not owned up for Heysel, an oh yes, just imagine if that had been Millwall. Arabella writing for the mail would have had a field day, but as its the scousers, oh no, it was someone else's fault. That is an observation made by many a Millwall fan, and its an observation, not bitter

Well you are entitled to an opinion of people, but mine is that (although very bias) on the whole the view of scousers being friendly and quick witted it true, I think the issue is the idiots of them are some of the worst you can get, but IMO there are many, many more of the good. And in terms of them 'shutting Millwall down', they would not of done anything differently then what they did because it was Liverpool, that's just silly. And in fact you are wrong, Liverpool fans are more than aware of their fault for Heysel, and they respect the disaster as much as they respect Hillsborough, so on that front my friend, I'm sorry to say you are wrong.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I am 40 and remember them dominating too.It seemed like everyone at school supported them.It was weird how we seemed to be their bogey team in the 80s.Imagine beating Chelsea in the cups now!,that's what it was like.
I think they will be back,they are bound to get big investment soon.
Saying that Everton wern't bad in the 80s either.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am 40 and remember them dominating too.It seemed like everyone at school supported them.It was weird how we seemed to be their bogey team in the 80s.Imagine beating Chelsea in the cups now!,that's what it was like.
I think they will be back,they are bound to get big investment soon.
Saying that Everton wern't bad in the 80s either.

I am a few (not many) years older than you, when I was at school and for the majority of kids who supported a club it was Brighton, mind you we were on the verge of division one at the time...which was an exciting time to be following the team.

I think every team has its time, some have been big for many years but others have faded away, history proves this. I think if we were having this conversation maybe 30 years ago it would be talking about the decline of the likes of Preston, Burnley and Wolves. It is possible for teams to return but these days it is far harder. New investors will more than likely go in for a team that is already on the verge of success, like Villa or Man City, rather than one in the doldrums.

I don't think Liverpool will be down for long, they are one of the biggest names in World football, surely an attractive proposition for a sheikh with a few billion burning a hole in his pocket.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nice video on ITN, with Ricky Tomlinson, Sue Johnstone and John Aldridge begging the Americans to go. Yep. That'll make them change their minds...

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I was sort of grown up to prefer Liverpool over Man U, and even though Im now a devoted BHA fan. I really do honestly pity Liverpool.

You can NEVER,EVER say they were a bad team and while a lot of the ridiculous publicity and brainless decisions from Benitez, as well as an industry of making money from being 'a top club' there seemed to be a little bit of that soul of true football left inside that plastic shell.

So while Im not too bothered by the fact they are going down, I could never revel in it. The day when the Juggernaut Manchester United dies will be the day for me when Football will have turned for the better.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
It went wrong with too much change too soon with the likes of Owen, Fowler, Mcmananananaman and co (the spiceboys or something)

The change needed to be a longer process and the amazing football they played was lost!

D

Deleted member 2719

I must admit i quite like the fact that Liverpool are on the down slope and facing the real world i know alot of there fans all based in the south who hopped on the success train because of the dominance.

I have hated any club who monopolise the Top League but i suppose the real reason to put them in my top five of most hated clubs must be those Perms and taches:nono:

By the way Wardy is exempt as he had real curly hair and his remington broke:thumbsup:.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I must admit i quite like the fact that Liverpool are on the down slope and facing the real world i know alot of there fans all based in the south who hopped on the success train because of the dominance.

I have hated any club who monopolise the Top League but i suppose the real reason to put them in my top five of most hated clubs must be those Perms and taches:nono:

By the way Wardy is exempt as he had real curly hair and his remington broke:thumbsup:.

But surely you admire, if not, respect the fact that Liverpool was built up the 'proper way', not through money and oil merchants, and were a club that so many looked up to and thought that's how we need to run our club. And the support since the 60s has been superb

D

Deleted member 2719

But surely you admire, if not, respect the fact that Liverpool was built up the 'proper way', not through money and oil merchants, and were a club that so many looked up to and thought that's how we need to run our club. And the support since the 60s has been superb

Yes i do have a certain respect for shankly and what he built at Liverpool but it all got very boring to watch in the 70's with their solid back four just passing it side to side as a neutral football fan watching defenders pass the ball a million times didn't light my fire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here