Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The demise of Liverpool

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The demise of Liverpool is enjoyable to see as they have overspent and wasted a lot of money on average players and huge wages.

Liverpool don't have the squad to challenge for trophies and will find that they are going to struggle to hold on to their better players. similarly to Leeds and Saints they have fans who feel they should be a massive club but are currently struggling to fulfil such aspirations.

To be fair, the scousers have got more justification for believing themselves to be a massive club.

I don't have the same animosity for Liverpool that I have for other clubs, partly because when I was young, they weren't a glory hunters team - people at school supported Arsenal, Leeds, Chelsea or Man U, can't remember anyone supporting Liverpool - and partly because I think they've been shafted a bit by this Gillett/Hicks deal. They've got unwelcome owners just the same as we did (although, I admit it's mainly their own fault, if you go public, you take the consequences)

DKM is right though. They should have shared with Everton- they'd now be in a bigger ground and have more income. Total insanity not to do it - for that alone, it would be good to see them (and Everton) get relegated.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its becoming clear Benitez brought far more misses than hits. past the first 11 they are pretty average players. Hodgson can definatly do somthing for them, but needs a massive clear out first, and probably needs a new 8-10 players to come in (maybe find something decent amongst the kids)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The BRAND is still a huge one, and for that reason alone, they WILL find a new owner, when the time is right, and future success will follow.

Not before a whole lot more PAIN though.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have a fairly pathological dislike for Liverpool owing to them being the Man United of the day when I was a kid, and all the glory seekers latched on to them.

I'm guessing I grew up at much the same time and yet, although I hated them at the time, I am unable to raise the same amount of enjoyment of Liverpool's situation as I would for some other clubs.

Maybe it's down to (much as I try to deny it) half of my family coming from the Land of the Bin-Dippers (mostly Everton fans though so you'd think that would just make things worse) or maybe due to some rose-tinted, nostalgic impression that although they were making me sick by going around winning everything they were doing it with more style and less cynicism than teams nowadays (although I know they had their fair share of dirty bastards) :)

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I have a fairly pathological dislike for Liverpool owing to them being the Man United of the day when I was a kid, and all the glory seekers latched on to them.

So in all honesty I'm quite enjoying this :)

This. Funny isn't it!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Imagine the scope for self pity if the bin dippers finish 12th or 13th this season.

Every national phone-in will be plagued by these twats banging on about what nasty owners they've had, what appalling management in Roy Hodgson (probably installed to deliberately sabotage the club), and how all football fans across the nation should unite to show the yanks the door because suddenly this will be the biggest crisis English football has ever seen. :yawn:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Although I'm half expecting "the finest supporters in the land" on the Kop to pull them through this (even though you could hear a pin drop when we played them up there a decade ago).

larus

Looks like I'm a minority on here.

I remember the nights on TV when Liverpool were the kings of Europe, where they nurtured a lot from within (especially on the coaching side), and played, what seemed to me then, good football. For these reasons, I've always had good feelings towards them, and would much rather see them at the top than Man U, Chelsea or Man C.

I think they've been shafted by the Yanks, and this needs to be resolved. However, I fear that it's going to get worse before this happens.

As someone else pointed out; the brand is big and established. They will bounce back and challenge again, but I think they'll lose some of their big stars at the end of this season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

So in all honesty I'm quite enjoying this :)

This.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Mc lovin it !

Leeds, Sotton, Wednesday, Newcastle year before last - so good when a "big club" has a bad patch.

Whenever I hear someone say my club is "man/pool" etc I always ask which stand they sit in for home games - amazing how often they have only ever watched them on the tellybox.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Looks like I'm a minority on here.

I remember the nights on TV when Liverpool were the kings of Europe, where they nurtured a lot from within (especially on the coaching side), and played, what seemed to me then, good football. For these reasons, I've always had good feelings towards them, and would much rather see them at the top than Man U, Chelsea or Man C.

I think they've been shafted by the Yanks, and this needs to be resolved. However, I fear that it's going to get worse before this happens.

As someone else pointed out; the brand is big and established. They will bounce back and challenge again, but I think they'll lose some of their big stars at the end of this season.

Says it all.

I was an armchair red for nearly 30 years, not getting close enough to football to really see what being a true suppoter was until about 5 years ago when I started attending Withdean matches (bar the odd Goldstone match in the 80's) and wanting my kids not to make the same mistake as me and being local supporters.

Liverpool will always be a class above the other big clubs and they'll always be the team I'll root for in the Pantomime League . . . until we get there of course.

They'll need new owners to get back up there but I think this season part of the blame lies with the overrated Hodgson too. With the team he's got should get to the top 7. There are no signs of that yet. He's no Benitez, that's for sure. I would have liked to have seen Dalglish at the helm but the board wouldn't have it. Idiots.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The problem for Hodgson is the ridiculous expectation of the Liverpool fans. The phrase being thrown at Roy seems to be "the Liverpool job is too big for him." Ok, the guy has managed at Inter Milan, and FULHAM. Honestly, Fulham, that's pretty much the level the Liverpool team are at right now. The job isn't to big for him, the expectations are too big for the club.

What do the fans actually expect this season?

Champions? Oh do behave.
CL qualification? Many seem to take that as the minimum requirement, but that looks completely out of reach to me. They aren't close to Arsenal and Man City.
Europa League qualification. Yeah, that's reasonable, and .... about what Fulham fans would have gone into teh season hoping for as well.

Liverpool fans need to get a grip, get behind Roy, and hope the owners move on. Stadium appears to be the least of their problems.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You could bring Mourinhio into Anfield with the financial mess they're in and he would do well to finish mid table.

The problems there run deeper than Woy can sort out...not that he'll get the chance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The stats show that they finished outside the Top 5 three times in the 90s, once as low as 8th. However, they've still managed a couple of 2nd place finishes as well.

They've never been outside the top 4 for more than a couple of years, always bouncing back, although this has been helped by some quality youngsters like Fowler, McManaman, Carragher, Gerrard, Owen. Where are the kids now?

I think Gerrard and Carragher will stay, but they're the wrong side of 30. Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea look stable clubs, and Liverpool have to pray that City implode and that Spurs get knocked out of Europe sharpish, because it looks as though City and Spurs will be scrapping it out for 4th spot for the foreseeable future.

Looking at Liverpool's squad I actually think it's worse than Villa's and on a par with Evertons.

As for Hodgson, I can't see the appointment working out, especially as he has Kenny Dalglish looking over his shoulder. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kenny take over at some point, although he'd be stupid to step in before the club's been taken over.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
It's another case of you reap what you sow with their owners though. As Gwylan says, they took the risk of going public, and now they're paying the price.

they EMBRACED their new owners when they arrived. they CROWED about how their owners weren't going to Glazer them. That was hilarious at the time... but it's even funnier now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here