Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The demise of Liverpool

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm 42 and just missed the Leeds era but grew up as Liverpool assumed the mantle of top dogs. From the mid-70s until 1990 they were the team to beat, but after last night's defeat to Northampton this is undoubtably the lowest point for them in my lifetime.

My question is whether Liverpool can ever return to their former glories, or have those days gone for good?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
They're knackered unless and until they get their ownership issues sorted out. Their downfall was sealed when the Moores sold out.

Dudek's miracle save seems like ages ago.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They need a new stadium and a decent ownership. Until these both happen, they'll be also-rans, where finishing above the likes of Villa, Spurs and Everton will be considered a good season.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
If they sort out getting the Yanks out. Bring in someone who is geniune on bringing in funds for new players, sort out their debt and build their new Stadium. Which is part of the 2018 World Cup bid, then at this moment in time Liverpool former glories will never return. They'll see the end of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres next summer if they fail to win anything this season. The Fa Cup is the only cup they can possibly win this season because them winning the league is completely beyond them. At the moment they're sinking like the Titantic, and it is very sad to see.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mid table also rans who may even struggle to get into Europe at all now. They have had their day and I doubt they'll be a top 4 team again any time soon without massive investment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hodgson is on a hiding to nothing there. He's not going to have the funds to make any significant investments in the playing side, at least not for the forseeable, and he's inherited a squad stuffed to the rafters with average foreigners and unproven youngsters.

Johnson, Cole, Torres, Reina and Gerrard will see them bumble around 6th to 8th place this season, but I can't see any better than that. Carraghers on the way out, Torres won't hang around for another season with no CL football, and if Gerrard ever wants a tilt at winning the Prem then he's going to HAVE to move on.

Downward spiral.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have a fairly pathological dislike for Liverpool owing to them being the Man United of the day when I was a kid, and all the glory seekers latched on to them.

So in all honesty I'm quite enjoying this :)

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I have a fairly pathological dislike for Liverpool owing to them being the Man United of the day when I was a kid, and all the glory seekers latched on to them.

this. i am loving their demise, couldn't happen to a better club!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Should nudge a few more of their armchair fans in our direction.

I already know one lifelong red who is suddenly lifelong albion.

Look forward to some of his insights on here soon no doubt!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Couldn't have summed it up better, it's a close run thing on who I despise the most, LFC or palace.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The demise of Liverpool is enjoyable to see as they have overspent and wasted a lot of money on average players and huge wages.

Liverpool don't have the squad to challenge for trophies and will find that they are going to struggle to hold on to their better players. similarly to Leeds and Saints they have fans who feel they should be a massive club but are currently struggling to fulfil such aspirations.

Hodgson seems like a dead man walking as the fans will not be happy with a mid table finish

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I got into football as Liverpools days as the pace setters were begining to fade so i don't have any feeling for them one way or the other.

Untill the clubs debts are cleared, they have a new stadium, new owners & a manager capable of winning a championship they will don nothing but mill around the top half & get the odd good cup run.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm 42 and just missed the Leeds era but grew up as Liverpool assumed the mantle of top dogs. From the mid-70s until 1990 they were the team to beat, but after last night's defeat to Northampton this is undoubtably the lowest point for them in my lifetime.

My question is whether Liverpool can ever return to their former glories, or have those days gone for good?

They were in worse trouble than this in the early-mid nineties, they recovered from that and they will recover from this. Hodgson needs time to rebuild the squad and thankfully for him generally the Liverpool hierarchy and supporters are a patient bunch.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hodgson needs time to rebuild the squad and thankfully for him generally the Liverpool hierarchy and supporters are a patient bunch.

Quite possibly one of the funniest things ever posted on NSC, hilarious, that's cheered me right up that has!:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here