Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Death Penalty - The Sun strikes again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Totally against the death penalty but i'm very much in favour of chain gang style prisons where if you commit a serious crime....such as rape or murder, you go to prison for LIFE without parole.

Once you're convicted, you loose ALL human rights. You work 12 hour days, 6 days a week and have NO tele, playstations, snooker or anything.
I wouldn't have anyone lose *all* human rights, but agree with the sentiment.

Serious question. Why doesn't this actually happen?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Life in prisonment. That can be the only civilised answer. It's 2008 people, not 300bc. Lets not jump to knee jerk reactions resulting in murder. Noone has the right to end someone elses life.

but the problem comes when a) life actually means 30 years or less, unless really heinous crime and b) it seems as if once institutionalised, prison is a fair easy ride, warmth, shelter, 3 meals and basic entertainment put on. it all seems a bit too civilised.

Of the three cases Billy mentions above, i expect at least two to be back out in my lifetime, ive only heard of one facing indefinate time (maybe ive just missed the others).

Prison should be hard for such criminals and those on repeat offences (i allow for the role of rehabilitation), so if we are not going to hang we should at least have hard labour. make prison shit. On the other hand, im not sure ay deterent would have prevented these crimes.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
too many liberals on here it would seem.
Let them fry i say, nothing more than a drain on our taxes etc.
Obvoiusly this would be for people like Huntley etc where there can be no doubt that they are the guilty party.

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
I wouldn't have anyone lose *all* human rights, but agree with the sentiment.

Serious question. Why doesn't this actually happen?

Fair play, but what about the human rights of the people who have been murdered! They've had their human rights taken away forever! People need to take responsibilty for their actions, if you're going to behave like an animal then you should be treated as animal!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
too many liberals on here it would seem.
Let them fry i say, nothing more than a drain on our taxes etc.
Obvoiusly this would be for people like Huntley etc where there can be no doubt that they are the guilty party.
*sigh* You can't have degrees of guilt! One is either guilty or not guilty, and if found guilty then the state runs the risk of killing the wrong person.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Totally against the death penalty but i'm very much in favour of chain gang style prisons where if you commit a serious crime....such as rape or murder, you go to prison for LIFE without parole.

Once you're convicted, you loose ALL human rights. You work 12 hour days, 6 days a week and have NO tele, playstations, snooker or anything.
To be honest I think that is the best idea. I think this should be put in place for all prisoners. For prisoners that are going to be released they can learn a skill and then be put to work manufacturing something, at least that would recoup some of the money it cost to keep them locked up

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I see your own personal 'civilised line' is life imprisonment, you morally think that itself is civilised.

Well I happen to think it is wholly civilised to kill a man whom has raped/sodomised and killed a little child.

Some may think only having NO incarceration is their civilised view.

Is it not 'civilised' to see what the majority of people might want and view as civilised whilst living within their communities ??

I think thats democracy, but I could be wrong !!!

Thats a good argument BG, and yes I am projecting my own view of whats civilised and what isn't onto the argument. Maybe thats a mistake - I'm not sure, but its certainly an opinion. Re democracy, yes people should be able to voice their opinions and the Government should listen.. but unless the Government seriously believe that the majority WANT the death penalty brought back I think it would not be worth a referendum. People disagree on all sorts and the really important issues are discussed in Parliment and decisions are mostly made by our elected representatives.

I see you've attacked my opinion but not actually offered one yourself? I presume you have one on the subject?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
To be honest I think that is the best idea. I think this should be put in place for all prisoners. For prisoners that are going to be released they can learn a skill and then be put to work manufacturing something, at least that would recoup some of the money it cost to keep them locked up

But we aint talking about that shoplifter or council tax non-payer we are talking about criminals that commit the most heinous of crimes.

The Child Killer and Rapist, you really want him to acquire manufacturing skills to be released and so we might recoup some of the costs !!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
but the problem comes when a) life actually means 30 years or less, unless really heinous crime and b) it seems as if once institutionalised, prison is a fair easy ride, warmth, shelter, 3 meals and basic entertainment put on. it all seems a bit too civilised.

Of the three cases Billy mentions above, i expect at least two to be back out in my lifetime, ive only heard of one facing indefinate time (maybe ive just missed the others).

Prison should be hard for such criminals and those on repeat offences (i allow for the role of rehabilitation), so if we are not going to hang we should at least have hard labour. make prison shit. On the other hand, im not sure ay deterent would have prevented these crimes.

I see what you mean but when I say life in prisonment I mean life should mean life, not 30 years. The only answer to that I think is building more prisions, not reducing sentances.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Thats a good argument BG, and yes I am projecting my own view of whats civilised and what isn't onto the argument. Maybe thats a mistake - I'm not sure, but its certainly an opinion. Re democracy, yes people should be able to voice their opinions and the Government should listen.. but unless the Government seriously believe that the majority WANT the death penalty brought back I think it would not be worth a referendum. People disagree on all sorts and the really important issues are discussed in Parliment and decisions are mostly made by our elected representatives.

I see you've attacked my opinion but not actually offered one yourself? I presume you have one on the subject?

I wasnt attacking your view and yes I did offer my own opinion and am still doing so.

I just cant get over how some people seem to think their own 'civilsed view' is the basis for everyone else.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Public Executions sponsored by The Sun! I can see a well known sports personality holding the 'Super Gallows' suppliment now! We love it!

In fact what about "Celebrity Gallows on ice or in the jungle or something" where some Z list celebrities can compete against each other to see who will win the "right" to pull the lever on the hanging of a criminal.

Tho to be fair if it was Z lists to actually be hung I think I would vote.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I see what you mean but when I say life in prisonment I mean life should mean life, not 30 years. The only answer to that I think is building more prisions, not reducing sentances.

The serious answer is that if life meant life then there is no need for the clamour for the rope. Let them die in prison. While thats not the case I say bring it back.

It annoys me that people bring in the USA whenever there is a counter argument against this sort of thing. What about China or other countries with the death penalty does it work there?

But so what if it doesnt "work" for them (USA) it may for us?

f*** civilised in the case of the recent events. It dont happen that often therefore there wont be hangings (or whatever) that often...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair play, but what about the human rights of the people who have been murdered! They've had their human rights taken away forever! People need to take responsibilty for their actions, if you're going to behave like an animal then you should be treated as animal!
In the end, it comes down to whether or not you are comfortable with us killing people whilst taking the chance that you've got the wrong person.

Personally, I'm not.

are you proposing we feed them dog food?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The problem is that the people of the so-called "heinous acts" that people are saying deserve the death penalty are often ill. I'm not one for this 'they are victims too' idea, but the purveyors of some of the crimes, particularly against children, I believe are not people who have made a conscious decision to do it against their better judgement, but people who suffer from horrendous psychological conditions. Its the only way they could possibly do such things.

It costs more money to keep an average con in prison than to educate them at Eton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here